Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

A SUBMISSION QUESTION RE: 2005 LINCOLN CENTS & FUTURE CIRC. STRIKE SETS

Since my question to HRH in the Q & A has not been answered (about PCGS's stance on the satin finish designation), I need to throw this out there to you all. Can someone please tell me the coin # for the 2005-P and 2005-D Lincolns? I checked on this site and I cannot seem to find it. I have 4 submissions to burn and have found 2 P's and 2 D's after going thru 15 2005 mint sets. I also have 3 or 4 REGULAR strike 2005's that I would like to submit (found in rolls)....but I don't know if they are going to have a diff. coin # than the satin finish??????

Which brings me to another question. If PCGS is designating these mint set coins as "satin finish" for all denominations, are there going to be two different coin #'s for each mint.....the circulation strike vs. the satin finish strike? Are we going to be required to have the 2 diff types of P Mint and two different types of D Mint coins to continue all circulation strike sets in the future????

HAS PCGS TAKEN A STANCE ON THIS ISSUE YET AND I JUST HAVEN'T SEEN THE POST?????

CAN YOU SAY FRUSTRATING????

Comments

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    E-mail these folks and see if they can tell you. looks like they already have theirs graded.

LINK
    Doug
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    He's selling coins that he doesn't even have yet (link guy).

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the comment I received from the seller on Ebay.

Yesterday I spoke with Miles Standish of PCGS. He stated that these incerts will be just like the 2005 ASE "First Strike" holders but will say "Satin Finish" instead. They are designated separately as they should be from business strikes.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    So as the dies age and the mint set coins don't have the satin finish will the mint set coins be regular business strikes at this point?

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 2 cents:

The only way to combat the "games" Datentype alludes to is for PCGS to default "close call" coins into the more common high grade "Satin Finsh", just as they do with numerous SMS coins.

And, of course, there will be some coins that may get slabbed as "regular issue" throughout time that some may question to be Satin Finish - as always, collectors should be careful and do their home work before spending great sums of money on these coins.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    The PCGS website shows these #'s:

3190 = 2005 1c
    93190 = 2005 1c Satin Finish
    3193 = 2005-D 1c

I think you can draw a conclusion of what they're going to put on the 05-D Satin. image

Hope this helps!
    Seth
  • Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    This really is going to get interesting this year...................................image
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    Thanks for everyone's input! Part of my question still goes unanswered. Maybe it cannot be answered but I would like to hear opinions.

Will PCGS require us to have two of each designation (for the sake of this example lets us the 2005 P & D Lincoln Cent) or will one of each suffice for that given year? (Say for example....my Lincoln Cent Circulation Strike Basic Set) Follow my question?

My guess is that the regular strikes coming out of rolls are going to go for a premium in 67, 68 and 69. Whereas the mint set (or satin finish) 67, 68 and 69's are going to be much easier to obtain. Easy to see since someone apparently already has a SLEW of 69RD Lincolns on eBay......

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My 2 cents:

The only way to combat the "games" Datentype alludes to is for PCGS to default "close call" coins into the more common high grade "Satin Finsh", just as they do with numerous SMS coins.

And, of course, there will be some coins that may get slabbed as "regular issue" throughout time that some may question to be Satin Finish - as always, collectors should be careful and do their home work before spending great sums of money on these coins.

Wondercoin >>

Mitch,
    That comment is the best answer you could give to anyone who is waiting to see what PCGS does regarding the so called satin finish and the business strike coins of 2005. I'm sure we will all learn what the official rules will be over time but for those impatient souls who must have an answer now, that is the best answer out there. I'm sure PCGS will agree. Steveimage
  • Options
    I agree that Mitch did provide a very good outlook on the situation..you are correct Steve. This "impatient soul" was frustrated not knowing which coin # I needed to use on a submission form. Thanks to CoinFame, now I know what those coin #'s are.

When God handed out patience, I think he skipped me!! image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He's selling coins that he doesn't even have yet (link guy). >>

He's selling coins that haven't even been graded yet - hoping they get the grades he's selling them at. I eMailed him and asked for a cert number on an MS69 Kennedy. He tried to give me a BS line that when bulk submission results post you can't get the cert numbers.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    "He's selling coins that haven't even been graded yet - hoping they get the grades he's selling them at. "

I requested a phone number from this seller so I could call him to clear up my confusion on all this - but, I have not heard back yet from the seller.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    I told Mitch about this earlier in a PM....

Since the seller mentioned (in his 69RD auctions) that he also had a bunch of 68's....I thought I would ask him what he's looking to get for a set of 2005 P & D Lincolns in MS68RD.....

He replied to me yesterday that he would sell me a set to me for a price of $80.00

• Options
    I wonder if we should pass this guy on to pcgs for a whoopin'? in my opinion this guy is committing fraud that is in direct conflict of his dealer contract. I also feel he is ruining the market for other dealers and creating confusion with buyers. Is anyone with me to report this guy to D. Hall and possibly others at PCGS? Does anyone know the best and quickest wat to make an impact concerning this? maybe a call or an email of a link to this? I mean come on a 2005-d sacagawea in ms69 this year? Not likely as well as many others.
  • Options
    "I mean come on a 2005-d sacagawea in ms69 this year? "

Mark: Looks like he shut down that auction about 20 minutes ago.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Well, Brian Childs has some more shutting down to do: He has at least 2 each up of the following that are not likely to be made period or at least more than very few, namely:

05-d sac 9 (more up), 05-p ks 9, 05-d ks 9, 05-p kennedy 9, wv-d 9, ca-d 9, 05-d Kennedy 8, mn-d 9. Okay there will be avery few Kennedy-d in 8 and afew Kennedy p in 9 but not enought to put multiple auctions up more than likely. I mean some of these are real stupid. There will be no ks-d in 9, wv-d in 9 and probably not a ks-p in 9.
  • Options
    Mark: I believe it is not going to be quite that bad (i.e. I think there will be some small supply of MS69 coins on a couple of the items you mentioned), but, none the less, your point is well taken.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

<< <i>TextI recall reading his "about me" page where (if I am reading this right?) he makes a condition of his sales that he has several months to deliver the coins winning bidders win and if he can not deliver the coins, he will provide a full refund. >>

WOW!!! Can I get A interest free loan for "SEVERAL MONTHS" like he wants??? Any takers??
    Dan
  • Options
    I spoke with Brian at length today. He explained that the 75 day condition covered coins lost in the mail. In any event, Brian has now decided to end most of the auctions involving the extremely difficult coins on Datentype's list. He is doing it in order to extend a common courtesy to his fellow dealers and collectors. I think he made the right decision.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    auctions being canceled left and right