Home Autographs Forum
Options

Nuremberg Trial Autographs

My grandfather served as a U.S. Guard during the Nuremberg trials. He was able to get individual autographs of each of the 19 of 21 defendants (excluding Goering and Hess) on note pad.

Does anyone have any value of these autographs? They are in nm-mint condition.

Thank you,

Danny
Collecting Dallas Cowboys Rookies and Team Sets 1960-1989

Comments

• Options
    Hi,
    I would be happy to tell you what they list in "the books" for - assuming they are genuine. Please post scans and a complete list of names. You would need to be able to prove (more than "my fathers uncles mailman said once..) when and where they were signed in order for that information to impact the value. I am not implying you don't have that data but it would be germaine to value. It might be interesting to add the missing two - how many complete sets from this period can there be that are not simple ducuments? Wonderful stuff!

Best,
    Billy
  • Options
    Billy,

The only proof that I have that these autos are authentic is the evidence that my grandfather participated in the trial with pictures and video.

If you have a link to pricing, please forward. I appreciate your help.

Thank you,
    Danny
    Collecting Dallas Cowboys Rookies and Team Sets 1960-1989
  • Options

<< <i>Billy,

The only proof that I have that these autos are authentic is the evidence that my grandfather participated in the trial with pictures and video.

If you have a link to pricing, please forward. I appreciate your help.

Thank you,
    Danny >>

Hi Danny,
    I was not implying they were not genuine - just that no one will care at all about paying extra $$ without clear provenance of what and where they were signed. They can easily be authenticated as to who signed what, but WHEN and WHERE is the $$$ issue. (many times these sigs turn out to be false as well. Example: Someone will hand a photo to a person who they watch go into the Beatles dressing room with a pen and the Beatles are in the room. Out comes the man with your signed photo which is given to you by your dad - only it is road manager Mal Evans that your dad asked to go into that dressing room, and Mal just wrote them all himself...this happens OFTEN. Only about 5% of Beatles signatures are authentic.) If you can show your relative and the defendants in photographs together and have some of his papers showing he worked there and when and the signatures all together - that is good. I am willing to look up the names myself for you, but only after seeing scans - it is not wise to attempt to place value on signatures without seeing them. I try not to. You can try the bookstore and library, and online too - good info at all these places. But the value is in proving when and where they were signed. Are any dated in the hand of the signer? Are there any comments or just quick signatures? If you just want to see numbers try the Library or a bookstore. But assuming authenticity, these items as a collection, signed when they were, would be valued quite differently than a collection of "regular" signatures. I am not into war material or Nazi criminials, so I don't know. There might be a few sets like yours in existence made by guards with foresight, or you might hear "Heh, thats a common story. None of them were willing to sign anything at the trial". Or you could find it is unique.

Best,
    Billy

PS - there is no "link" to pricing. These things have to be looked into individually. Prices and items are not equal too - and your items are apparently plain SIGS but with incredible history - so thats a "new" price, not the list for a cut SIG.
  • Options
    I would really like to see a scan!
    ------------------------ Gary
    ºoº coinhead1.
    Never act dumber than you are period
    imageimageimage
    Meg Ryan Amanda Tapping Dana Delany
  • Options
    It is believed a U.S. guard snuck Herman Guering a poison capsule hours before his hanging, he was a very charming, and historical figure(war Hero)as with most nazi leadership. I could see how an autograph book could be assembled through bribery. Hook prisoners up with something for thier autograph. If I was a dead man walking I'd sign anything for something in return like extra rations or something.
  • Options

<< <i>It is believed a U.S. guard snuck Herman Guering a poison capsule hours before his hanging, he was a very charming, and historical figure(war Hero)as with most nazi leadership. I could see how an autograph book could be assembled through bribery. Hook prisoners up with something for thier autograph. If I was a dead man walking I'd sign anything for something in return like extra rations or something. >>

Hi image

Goering, yes that is said to be true. I don't recall but I assume it is true - how else did he get the capsule?

Yes, circumstances lcan end themselves to bribery ala Saddam photos - to make a collection of those sigs - but this has to be shown to be true. If they are all in a small notepad and all are authentic and there is mention of a date in one sig and the other corroborating data that is all he likely would need.

Billy
  • Options
    Most people in the nuremburg trials had evidence backing there persicution. This evidence involved numerous documents with signatures. So at least it is possible to authenticate through that avenue. The other avenue is proof of your grandfathers service and his deployment.
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780

<< <i>Most people in the nuremburg trials had evidence backing there persicution. This evidence involved numerous documents with signatures. So at least it is possible to authenticate through that avenue. The other avenue is proof of your grandfathers service and his deployment. >>

Authentication of the signatures themselves is not the problem unless some of them are really obscure and I doubt that - lots of people collect Nazi stuff and war when and where they were signed. That is the only thing that will differentiate these in terms of value from the likely numerous extant (earlier) examples of these defendants signatures.

Billy
  • Options
    Hi,
    there is a set of 5 Nuremberg signatures (out of a possible 22) on offer at R&R Auctions with an unopened minimum bid at $300here.
    At this page you can see past auction results for like group sets. It seems most sets with 12 to 15 signatures approach $2000 + or so. There are scans at the pages I linked to. That is the best as far as assinging a value - see what simliar items sell for. While not unique they can't be too common - R&R only had 3 or so sets in the last 8 years. PM me if you want to sell these items - I might be able to help.

Best,
    Billy
  • Options

<< <i>Hi,
    there is a set of 5 Nuremberg signatures (out of a possible 22) on offer at R&R Auctions with an unopened minimum bid at $300here.
    At this page you can see past auction results for like group sets. It seems most sets with 12 to 15 signatures approach $2000 + or so. There are scans at the pages I linked to. That is the best as far as assinging a value - see what simliar items sell for. While not unique they can't be too common - R&R only had 3 or so sets in the last 8 years. PM me if you want to sell these items - I might be able to help.

Best,
    Billy >>

My wifes grandfather was also a gurad a Nuremburg, cept he guared the US judges
  • Options
    WOW Cokcney - welcome to the Autograph Forum! image

Billy

There are some fabilous autographs in the archives - Garland, Swson. Davis, Gish, Lugosi, the cast of Lifeboat, A Star is Born and much,more image

Hope to see you 'round image

Billy
  • Options
    Interesting thread!