Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

'Cheerios' 2000-P Sacagawea Dollars Have Different Reverse

WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
Sacagawea $1 has two hubs

California collector Pat Braddick is being credited with sending NGC the discovery coin, five years after he found it inside a Cheerios cereal box. Braddick's coin had been housed in an ANACS holder with its origin from the Cheerios box noted on the grading insert when it was submitted to NGC in February.

Way to go, Pat. image

Comments

• Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    That's wild Braddick - how did you discover it?
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised it took this long for smoeone to discover that! Way to go, Braddick!
  • Options
    Great job Braddick! Now I want one...
  • Options
    What a job!

I should have eaten more "Cheerios"
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Hey Pat, that's fabulous! Let's hear the rest of the story!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Way to go Braddick!! I was routing for you to get it! Now, is it a pattern? I don't think so as it was intended for circulation.

Congratulations!

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    that's just way too cool...awesome job!

• Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    And while some were saved, I would think quite a few were opened, handled, spent, etc...which would make them surprisingly difficult to find. Heck, I did a search for "cheerios" on eBay and there were none in the coin catagory, though there were some of those Lincolns.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang it, I should have outed this info weeks ago
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I've been sworn to secrecy throughout this whole ordeal, up till now. That's been tough! What's cool is the opportunity others have to now find these in their change drawers, jars, whatever! 5,000+ of these are 'out there'. You know that most of these found in Cheerios boxes were located by kids who popped them out of the cheap packaging and spent them!

Now, with a mintage over 750,000,000 (just for the 2000-P mint!) it's a bit like finding a needle in a haystack- but they are out there! I love the way the Mint, when first presented with this coin, simply denied they could possibly exist!

This variety reminds me of the 55/55 and the way they were distributed. It should be fun for collectors and non-collectors alike.

I'll post photos as soon as I get the coin back from NGC. It's in 'Quality Control' right now. (I ordered a PhotoProof with it).

peacockcoins

• Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Cool, I've been spending Sacs all along. I'll have to check out the ones I get.
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    Neat, I still have 3 of the Sacs in Cheerio Packaging. Sometimes collecting weird and eclectic coins and paraphanelia pays off image
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Wow!
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    Very cool!!!
    I wish I already had one. I've been looking and now I think the quest might be harder and/or more expensive. At least now they can possibly be cherrypicked without the Cheerios package.
    Awesome discovery Braddick!!
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is one of the coolest numismatic stories I've ever seen. A lot of these coins probably ended up in kids' hands.

BTW, I'm in the market to buy one of the things if anyone's selling. image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Is there anything special about the Cheerio Lincolns???image
  • Options
    Nevermind........ Way to go.

Always looking

MS 1883 Registry Set
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now, what's going to be the going rate? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Here's the original CoinAge story.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Wow...kinda reminds me of the search for the gold dollar in "Willie Wonka."
  • Options
    Andy is in the article! Way to go...

Thiggy Fresh - OK, one for Andy, one for me and you can keep one. Right? PM us for the details. image
  • Options
    How many of you did a quick search on eBay for Cheerios Dollars?
  • Options
    I've been searching for one of these dang things on eBay for 3 years, I've seen 0, heard a rumor about 1 I missed while on vacation 2 summers ago, don't expect mass quantities to show up anytime soon. I suppose they're a little more likely to show up as soon as people read this story and realize they can get $800 or $1000 for them now dangit. Wish I'd eaten more Cheerios back in 2000, oh well, chalk up another variety I probably can't afford anymore.
    Varieties are the spice of a Type Set.

Need more $$$ for coins?
  • Options
    oh yeah, thanks for digging that coin outa your SDB Braddick, pretty cool the mystery of the 12 feather reverse has been solved, congratulations on the Discovery coin, you suck.
    Varieties are the spice of a Type Set.

Need more $$$ for coins?
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. Congrats Pat.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remembered seeing one of Braddick's post over on the NGC forum titled:Question Regarding a Possible Discovery Coin. So this was what you were talking about. That's awesome man.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard lots of rumors, it's great to finally see a few facts. This is very cool. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Very cool, Pat - a big congrats to you!!!

Ken
  • Options
    notlogicalnotlogical Posts: 2,235
    WOW! Between this and the '44 steelie you're having one awesome '05!!! image
    What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
    image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>WOW! Between this and the '44 steelie you're having one awesome '05!!! image >>

Took the words right out of my mouth....literally! image

Fantastic find! Congratulations!

BTW, if anyone is curious...I've had a "favorite search" on at eBay for cheerios sac dollar coin for a l-o-n-g time and haven't had a hit in over a year. image My next best hope is running across some at a coin show/shop that the info isn't "outed" at. image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's the original CoinAge story. >>

I'm surprised it took this long for the different reverses to be confirmed, I remember Tom DeLorey writing about the reverse die changes in rec.collecting.coins when the coins first came out back in early 2000. I found this thread from March 2000 on Google.

This is a truly exciting find. I'll take one of these over a 'speared bison' or 'low leaf' quarter any day of the week.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

There's one on the BST forum now with best offer. Not mine
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    interesting image
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

<< <i>Andy is in the article! Way to go...

Thiggy Fresh - OK, one for Andy, one for me and you can keep one. Right? PM us for the details. image >>

Unfortunately, I generally will never sell coins that are actually somewhat unique, odd, or have other-than-traditional numistic value. image
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

peacockcoins

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny, I remember when these first came out in the Cheerios boxes, someone got one in late December 1999 and sent it on an express submission to ANACS, who certified it with the 1999 date on the holder. The owner of the coin then put it up on eBay for big bucks, and got roundly ridiculed in r.c.c. for his antics. I wonder how many of the people who poked fun would wish they owned that coin right now.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><a class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.asp?IDArticle=279" target=blank>NGC's Press Release</A> >>

Great article.

ttt
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    One just sold on the BST for $1800.00

So, what is this coin? A pattern or a type?
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, what is this coin? A pattern or a type? >>

That's still being debated amongst the powers that be. It would also be prudent to remember that while I believe that they all are, there's no guarantee that all of the Cheerios Dollars are the newly discovered pattern or type.

I might also add that it's been suggested that these pieces be called "Reverse of 1999" and all others be called "Reverse of 2000".

Mike

SmallDollars.com
  • Options
    I might also add that it's been suggested that these pieces be called "Reverse of 1999" and all others be called "Reverse of 2000".

Perfect!
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    ttt
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A boost for nostalgia with an "ultra modern" coin. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file