Home Sports Talk
Options

Did Anyone From Your School Ever Make The Pros?

Ronnie Blye, who graduated a couple of years before I entered Samuel J. Tilden High School in Brooklyn, played running back for the Giants and Eagles in 1968 and 1969. Then there was Willie Randolph who attended Tilden way after I did.

Comments

• Options
    Ron Brown was a few years ahead of me in HS. Was on the practice squad for some pro team but has been the defensive backs coach i think for nebraska for many years
    give me liberty or give me death
    my hotelsimage
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    I was friends with Carlestor Crumpler at my high school--sat next to each other in a few classes. He played a few years in the NFL. Later when I was at college, his younger brother came to attend. I spoke to him a few times about Carlestor to see how he was doing--now the younger brother is playing in the NFL and is doing OK for himself (Alge Crumpler).

Several baseball players from high school played in the minors over the last couple of decades--but only one that I am aware of made the major leagues for a brief spell--and I didn't know him personally.

Now from my college (like many of you) the pro ranks are littered with fellow alums--but I am assuming this is a high school thread, so no need to go into those guys.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Scott Skiles...high school team won state championship before they went to a class system. His and my small school beat schools with 2 or 3 times as many students with no player over six foot three and all white players who can't jump...was quite a feat...similar to that of Milan High School...which won and was the impetus for the movie Hoosiers. I taught with Marv Wood who was the coach of Milan.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I went to Waterford Kettering in Waterford, Michigan. We had three that I know of: Kirk Gibson (Baseball), Pat Lafontane (Hockey) and Jim Miller (Football, had one good year with the Bears). Lafontane graduate one year ahead of me in 1983.

Speaking of Scott Skiles, I was attending Michigan State when he was playing, not High School though.

Stingray
  • Options
    CreeperKatCreeperKat Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Ryan Klesko - started with the Braves and is now with the Padres. Played highschool ball with him.
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terry Forster (the "Fat tub of Goo" for you David Letterman fans), and Jim Tatum (Brewers, Rockies and Padres) both went to my high school.

Steve
  • Options
    Stingray~Was hoping to hear Bobby Higginson went to your high school.

Heh
  • Options
    I went to Summit High school in NJ, Willie Wilson who played for the KC Royals went to my school and I played little league baseball and went to school with Gerard Phelan (Gerard caught the infamous pass from Doug Flutie which is known as the original Hail Mary Pass )
    640K ought to be enough for anyone.
    -Bill Gates,1981

"With hurricanes,tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another,& with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks,"Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"" Jay Leno 2006

• Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    I went to school with Thurman Munson.

Jut kidding. image
  • Options
    JrMacdaddyJrMacdaddy Posts: 506 ✭✭
    Paul Molitor
    Steve Walsh
    Chris Weinke
    Matt Birk
    Corbin Lacina
    Derek Engler
    Joe Mauer
  • Options
    Went to New Braunfels High school in Texas. Kliff Kingsbury played with the Pats and now is with the Saints. Cross town school Canyon- Lance Berkman is playing for the Astros!
    Go Cowboys!!!!!!!!!! image
  • Options
    My barber played HS ball with Carl Yastrzemski. Yaz grew up in Southampton NY, I live about 15-20 miles away.
    M39/10USNY:US1Cu10000:US5Ni3520:US10Ag94:US25Ag65:US50Ag18
    2000 Gallery PPI Registry Set
  • Options
    Jose Canseco - Miami Coral Park High School - Class of 1982
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Larry Siegfried.
  • Options
    Billy Swift and Jim Bettie both pitched in the pros.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    Paul Rigdon.. he 2 hit the yankees in his ML debut.. played for Cincinnati, Milwaukee and Cleveland.. injuries forced him out..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    PeetiePeetie Posts: 627 ✭✭
    I didn't go to school with him but I worked for Donnie Baseball at his restaurant in Evansville, Mattingly's 23.

Class guy!
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Dick Ambrose (we called him Duck) was a LB most notably for the Browns.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    I knew a girl that upon graduation, moved to Atlanta, became a stripper in The Gold Club, and eventually a very high priced call girl. That is the only person that I knew that ever went Pro! (she was freakin HOT too, so it is a shame I could never afford to take her out - before or after she began her "pro" career!)
  • Options
    I went to college with Rick Reuschel's sister image.
  • Options
    Dan Murphy (class of 1982, same as me) Pitched briefly for the Padres back in '90 or '91, bounced around in mnors quite a bit, blew all his money partying. During the off-season he'd come back home and we'd slip him into our slow pitch softball team as a ringer. (pretty good hitter)

Al Martin - A couple grades behind me. As a freshman he was a skinny little kid who liked basketball, became a HS baseball star after I graduated. His name in HS was Al Scales.

Mike Powell (who I think is still the world outdoor long jump record holder) - Went to a crosstown rival. I use to have to try and compete against him on the high jump. He'd clear like 6'10" without warming up, and leave everyone else in the dust. He also was a big basketball draw. People came to watch him dunk, taking off from the freethrow line.

Cecil Fielder - Another crosstown rival we'd go watch play basketball.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    Anthony Griggs - LB
    Ohio State, Cleveland Browns, Philadelphia Eagles

Also went to school with Carl Lewis, Olympic gold medalist and knew his parents who were teachers.

Used to walk by Greg Luzinski's house every day on the way to school. His kids were younger than me.

The kicker - knew quite well Sharon Morella, who was the daughter of Gorilla Monsoon. This was in 74-78 when he was popular. She was a cheerleader and filled out her sweater....wink, wink.
  • Options
    David Greene - he a year ahead of me - went somewhere in this years nfl draft.

Louis Williams - i don't think he was in hs when i went there - went somewhere in this years nba draft?

Brian

edit to add - just checked greene drafted by seahawks, and williams 76ers.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I never knew them personally since they graduated well before I did, but

Babe Herman (MLB Baseball)
    Dwight Stones (Track and Field)
    Duane Bickett (NFL)

John Wayne (actor)
    Madeleine Stowe (actress)

All went to Glendale High School in California
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Lindsay Knapp- OL for Notre Dame and then the Packers

Tony Cogan(I played little league with him & went to cross town rival HS) - Pitched at Stanford and 1 abysmal year with KC. 1st batter he faced was Jorge Posada at Yankee Stadium. 3 run jack.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hoops -

Joe Barry Carroll (Purdue Univ. and various NBA teams in the 1980's and an NBA All-Star, though many questioned his heart and commitment to the game) played center on my high school's sophmore team when I was playing center on the varsity team in 1973-74. He went on to Big-Ten fame, College All American fame, #1 NBA Draft pick in 1980 (I think, if not then in the top 3 picks), NBA All Star and a long pro career. I on the other hand played small college hoops (not very well at that) and faded into obscurity.

Also, from a cross town rival school - Michael, "Sugar Ray" Richardson played during the same time I played. He was the NBA #3 draft pick in 1978 by the New York Knicks. Also an All Star and I think an All Pro whose NBA career was cut short due to his problem with "blow". A mid 1980's lifetime suspension from the NBA ruined what probably would have been a Hall Of Fame career. However, he went to play hoops in Europe, got married, had kids, grew up and kept playing pro hoops in Europe until the ripe old age of 44 years.

Take that and wind it back, SanctionII.
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    Jerry Schiting. All American at Purdue, journeyman guard in the NBA for a long while, ended up with the Celtics. In case anyone thinks that pros are just like everyone else, except more athletic, I have this experience. I'd play at the park against Jerry, I was in 10th grade and he was in 6th. He'd dribble up the court and pass the ball off to the right. Except it wasn't really a pass, it was a shot he drained from 25 feet. Next time down, he'd pull up and shoot. Except it wasn't a shot, it was a laser pass under the hoop. He'd dribble to the left, but not really, he was dribbling to the right. Everybody was playing basketball, but he was playing "a game with which we were not familiar."
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    In addition to Terry Forster and Jim Tatum who I mentioned in my previous post, Hayden Penn of the Orioles also went to my high school (Santana High) in Santee CA.

Lon Hinkle (pro golfer) also went there, and I just remembered that Lon Sheriff of the Miami Dolphins also went to Santana.

Steve
  • Options
    CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    Went to elementary and high school with Wayne and Keith Primeau (NHL).
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Mike Ramsey and Reed Larson played hockey at my high school. Played college baseball for a season with Kerry Ligtenburg.
  • Options
    Speaking of pro hoops and the level of play, I will relate a story.

I played small collecge hoops in the 1970's. Some of my teamates came from So. Cal. and thus during summer breaks I and other non California teamates would visit. A few times we went to Laguna Beach to play hoops on the outdoor court next to the beach. The place was always packed with So. Cal talent, ranging from local twentysomethings, high school players, small college players, Division 1 players and NBA players. I remember one NBA player, a 6'11" white guy. Watching him play on TV, he looked so awkward, out of place and downright uncoordinated. People would always criticize him and being a stiff and not having the talent to warrant playing in the NBA.

We played against him in Laguna. The guy was a stud; quick, fast, strong, polished and dominant. No one could hold a candle to him. He torched everybody, regardless of the color of your skin and regardless of whether you played 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5. The funny thing is he was in cruise mode and everyone else was playing as hard as they could. He was simply having a little relaxation and did not give 100% effort.

Regardless of how an NBA player looks on TV or live at an arena, there is no doubt about his talent or ability. If he looks like a stiff, it is merely due to the fact that he is playing against the cream of the cream of the crop (i.e. Lebron James, etc.). It is all relative and 99.99999999% of hoopsters in the country would never be able to do what any NBA player can do.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Tim Leary graduated the year I got to Santa Monica High, played a few years in the bigs.
    Terry Bevington was my little league coach, went on to get fired as manager of the Chicago White Sox.
    Not pro sports, but a bunch of guys I grew up with were the subject of a documentary (Dogtown and the Zboys) and a movie (Lords of Dogtown).

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    SDSportsFAN, your post mentioned that Lon Hinkle, the golfer, went to your highschool in Santee, Cal. His younger brother is Barney Hinkle and he played small college hoops. When I was a senior, he was a freshman on my college hoops team. He had a great small college career.
  • Options

<< <i>SDSportsFAN, your post mentioned that Lon Hinkle, the golfer, went to your highschool in Santee, Cal. His younger brother is Barney Hinkle and he played small college hoops. When I was a senior, he was a freshman on my college hoops team. He had a great small college career. >>

Thanks SanctionIIimage

I remember Barney Hinkle well...

His senior year (1976-77) at Santana was my freshman year. He, Mark Price and Todd Harper led the team to the San Diego County Championship game against Helix High School (Bill Walton's high school). We won 54-52image

I always hoped Barney and Todd would have gotten to the pros, but neither didimage I know Todd went to Weber State, but don't remember where Barney went.

Steve

Wow, I just remembered another one...

Joe Price (pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds) also went to Santanaimage
  • Options
    SDSportsFan,

Barney Hinkle went to play college basketball at Fort Lewis College in Durango, Colorado (Southwestern Colorado, about 70 miles from the 4 Corners National Monument, at the southern end of the San Juan Mountains, and no too far as the crow flies from Telluride). The town and school are at about 6,300 feet in altitude in some of the best of the Rockies.

The school in the 70's & 80's played at the NAIA level of competition. At some point in time the school and the league it played in (The Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference when I played) changed from the NAIA to the NCAA. The team now plays at the Division II level. Barney I think was (and maybe still is) the leading scorer at the school and further has been inducted in the school's athletic hall of fame. I think he also made All-Conference during at least one of his four years at the school. He clearly could have played at a higher level of competition. He is a great guy. He works for one of the big beer companies (Bud, I think).
  • Options
    Was Rick Reuschel's sister cute? Was she nicknamed mini-whale?
  • Options

<< <i>Was Rick Reuschel's sister cute? Was she nicknamed mini-whale? >>

I hear she looked exactly like Paul Reuschel......but without the moustache.
  • Options

<< <i>SDSportsFan,

Barney Hinkle went to play college basketball at Fort Lewis College in Durango, Colorado (Southwestern Colorado, about 70 miles from the 4 Corners National Monument, at the southern end of the San Juan Mountains, and no too far as the crow flies from Telluride). The town and school are at about 6,300 feet in altitude in some of the best of the Rockies.

The school in the 70's & 80's played at the NAIA level of competition. At some point in time the school and the league it played in (The Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference when I played) changed from the NAIA to the NCAA. The team now plays at the Division II level. Barney I think was (and maybe still is) the leading scorer at the school and further has been inducted in the school's athletic hall of fame. I think he also made All-Conference during at least one of his four years at the school. He clearly could have played at a higher level of competition. He is a great guy. He works for one of the big beer companies (Bud, I think). >>

Thanks SanctionIIimage

I remember that now about Barney going to Fort Lewis College! I know exactly where Durango is. I was stationed in Colorado Springs from 1995 to 1998 in the Air Force and went skiing at Purgatory once; absolutely GORGEOUS areaimage

Steve

• Options
    SDSportsFan,

Cool that you know the Durango area and that you skied Purgatory. The mountains of Southwest Colorado are some of the most beautiful in the country IMHO.

If you ever watch old movies on TV, check out "Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid" (Paul Newman and Robert Redford) which I think was made in the early 70's and "Avalanche" (Rock Hudson and Mia Farrow) which was made in the winter of 77-78. Both movies were filmed (partially or completely) in the Durango Purgatory area. In the Butch Cassidy film, when Newman and Redford are talking on a ledge before they jump off a cliff, the shot was filmed on the Animas River north of Durango at a favorite swimming, sunbathing spot (however, the followup shot of two men falling over 100 feet into a deep river was filmed elsewhere). The "Avalanche" movie was one of many "disaster" type films made in the 70's (i.e. The Posieden Adventure, Airport, Inferno, Earthquake, etc.). Rock Hudson and Mia Farrow were the leading man and lady in the film. The storyline is a bunch of hip, well heeled, beautiful people are at a new winter ski resort that was built in the wrong place. The first part of the film introduces you to the characters and the soap operas that are their lives and then Wham, the resort gets destroyed by a killer avalanche. It is so hokey it is funny. Every time I see the film I laugh because some of my college buddies and their girlfriends were hired as extras. They survived the final editing of the film and are in the movie, particularly in the scene shot in the resort's Disco. Lots of them are dancing on the disco floor next to Rock & Mia. What appeared hip and cool in 1978 now looks so stupid.

Funny that we both know Barney Hinkle. It has been fun trading posts with you. Do you venture over to the US Coin Forum. I post some over there and not so much on Sports Talk. BTW, thanks for your military service.
  • Options
    If I remember correctly, the Reuschel sister had a touch of a moustache image. Nice girl though.
  • Options
    Zeke Mowatt - TE - Hardee High School, NY Giants.

Caught a TD pass in the Super Bowl.
  • Options
    Isn't Zeke Mowatt known for waving his pecker openly and purposefully in front of a female reporter in the locker room?
  • Options
    No, you're thinking of a New England Patriot, but the name escapes me at the moment.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    My daughters attended the same High School as world reknown classy human bean Shawn Kemp. He was in constant trouble in High School and like many athletes his behavior was tolerated. I remember chatting with him briefly and am not in the least surprised about all his illegimate children by many women and his legal problems. Unfortunately he is typical of many NBA players.

Several years ago I was staying in a downtown Chicago Hotel. I didn't realize the Cleveland Cavs were staying their as they were in town to play the Bulls. I have the same name as one of their former players. I received calls from 4 different women wanting to party. I know it opened my eyes. This had to be in the early 80's. Not much has changed.

I also knew David Letterman in college as my roomie pledged his frat and the brunette from Three's Company, Janice was in a couple of my college classes.
  • Options

<< <i>Zeke Mowatt - TE - Hardee High School, NY Giants.
    Caught a TD pass in the Super Bowl. >>

Zeke also spent some time with the Patriots and was one of the players who flashed a female reporter for the Boston Herald.......in fact, I think he's best remembered for waving the salami rather than for the Super Bowl TD.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Zeke Mowatt - TE - Hardee High School, NY Giants.
    Caught a TD pass in the Super Bowl. >>

Zeke also spent some time with the Patriots and was one of the players who flashed a female reporter for the Boston Herald.......in fact, I think he's best remembered for waving the salami rather than for the Super Bowl TD. >>

Maybe I just have selective memory.image
  • Options
    Football- DJ Dozier
    Basketball-JR Reid
    Member SSOF

• Options
    Mike Pagel. Quarterback for the NFL Colts. His dad,Tom,was my varsity baseball coach. Nice people.
    Washington High School-Phx. Az.

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    Everett High School

Dan Ross & Omar Easy

Bob
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    Roger Clemens graduated the year that I was a freshman at Spring Woods High School in Houston. We had a big Roger Clemens day in 1987 and renamed the baseball field after him. Damn, that was a long time ago.