Home Sports Talk

Sportscaster You Hate the Most?

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
Pretty simple, and there is a long list of those I can't stand.

I am going to cop out here though, and vote Bob Ryan and Jay Mariotti as the 2 most awful. Mariotti is a loud-mouthed jerk who can't find anything positive to ever say, and Ryan is just ridiculous (uhm, Nomar did 'roids? Huh?)

What sports 'figure' out there really ticks you off?

Comments

• Pat Summerall is my worst. (King of the obvious)

Mike Patrick is bad (King of sensationalizing)

Dan Lebatard stinks (Says stuff just to raise a ruckus)(e.g. rips on Detroit as a crappy city, just cuz they're playing the Heat)

J. Marriotti is bad (likes to hear himself talk)

Stephen A. Smith (who my girlfriend says looks like a muppet), while interesting enough, tries too hard to come across as some tough guy.

Most annoying athelete: Terrell Owens (please just shut up and play football)

BEST sportscenter anchor: Chris McKendry (I love you)

• AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>

Dan Lebatard stinks (Says stuff just to raise a ruckus)(e.g. rips on Detroit as a crappy city, just cuz they're playing the Heat)
    >>

I thought it was just me that saw his Miami bias. Nothing that anyone does for a Miami team is a bad thing (like you said, ripping the pistons, making Ricky Williams out to be the victim, etc. etc.)
  • I haven't heard from her in some time, but I can't stand Susan Waldman the most (what does she look like anyway??). Next (showing that I'm not unfairly biased towards the Mets), I can't stand Tom Seaver. Boring and full of himself.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Tim McCarver, Joe Morgan and Bill ( I wish he would shut up) Walton!
  • DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Jim Palmer - pompous arse. No wonder Earl Weaver always wanted to clock him.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    It is impossible to listen to any Yankee baseball broadcasts because of their unbelievably biased and butt-kissing duo of Charley Steiner and the aforementioned Susan Waldman. Unless you are a Yankee-maniac, it is like Chinese water torture to hear the two of them.

But, Michael Kay is even worse. I'm sure I've forgotten more about baseball than he knows, and he is such a phony cheerleader for the team that you almost wonder is he is putting on an act. An annoying act to be sure.
  • Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    Timmy McCarver.
  • Chris Berman - He's a buffoon who was lucky to land at ESPN when it started and they kept him ever since. He spends too much effort making himself the issue, not what he is reporting. The nickname schtick is very un-clever and way overused. And most of his other "rumbling, bumbling, stumbling" stuff is stolen from others (Cosell in this instance). If he would take himself out of the equation, he could be bearable. But its all about him most of the time.
  • FYI

'rumblin', bumblin', stumblin-Keith Jackson
    Collect vintage basketball and baseball,graded rookies allsports, Robin Yount,Brewers,Bucks,Packers
    Putting together a set of 61 Fleer Basketball PSA 7 or better.
    Trade references: T,Raf12,Coach Vinny,Iceman,McDee2,Lantz,JSA
  • You are correct Jamesy. I was thinking of the "he...could....go......all.....the.....way....". Which is an imitation of the Howard Cosell Monday Night Football Highlights of so long ago. So now its at least 2 people he's lifted from. I just enjoy the sportscasters who make the game the entertainment, not themselves.

Thanks for the dork sign.
  • If you list people you can't stand, we need to know why!

I never thought of Berman that way, but you're right, it IS all about him.

And....whenever I see William C. Rhoden on the Sports Reporters, he's always rippin' on the white folks and calling out racism. Heck, as far as I'm concerned, HE'S racist.
  • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

Chris Collins"worthless" - he changes his take on the game as each team takes the lead. Such a homer, several times each game he says "this is what I was saying before the game and is why this team will win."

Great predictions, but not when you say it about both teams.
  • Tim McCarver - His grasp of the obvious is incredible.
    Plus, I can't stand that smug %&#@ Bob Costas.
    M39/10USNY:US1Cu10000:US5Ni3520:US10Ag94:US25Ag65:US50Ag18
    2000 Gallery PPI Registry Set
  • DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    1977Topps - gotta agree with you that Costas has become "smug." He used to be a pleasure --- like a real fan. As of late, he has become condescending.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    WGN's "Hawk" Harrelson and "Wimpy" Paciorek always got on my nerves when I'd watch the ChiSox play the Twins...or any other team for that matter.

yyyyYYYYYES!

hh

p.s. I just googled "hawk harrelson" looking for a photo and found this link!!

"You can put it on the board...Yes!"
  • jaybyrdjaybyrd Posts: 377
    I can't believe ESPN has Joe Morgan as part of the tandem of their lead announcing team. He always looks annoyed with John Miller and doesn't show any personality in the broadcasts. Loved him as a player, but as an announcer he stinks !!
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reading both this thread and the one about loved sportscasters it's interesting how different all of our tastes can be.

I love Joe Morgan, like Jon Miller and think they are a great team. I also think that Tim McCarver is atrocious, I hate being talked down to especially when I'm trying to watch a baseball game. One of the local Phillies announcers, Chris Wheeler is terrible as well, just can't figure out how he keeps his job. I also think that Chris Berman is the most overrated broadcaster in recent history. Put him with Rick Sutcliff and I don't think I could listen to them if they were doing my kids games.

In football I like Aikman but think that Phil Simms is also very good. I'm not sure why they seperated he and Gumble, thought they were very good together. I also like anything Dick Stockton does, I think it's because I grew up watching him do the NBA finals. I also still think that Dick Enberg is top notch. I can't listen to Dan Dierdorf or Merrill Reese, I just don't understand their appeal.

In basketball I think Marv Albert is terrible, I've never understood the fascination with him. Hubie Brown and Dick Stockton were great together.

Finally, I have no idea why the world loves Al Michaels. He is so pompous that it drives me nuts. I think it's time for "do you believe in miracles" to move on.

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds Bob Costas incredibly tiresome. I too used to enjoy him when he did the NBC Game of the Week with Tony Kubek, but now he's just irritating.

I also agree that Hawk Harrelson and Tom Paciorek are totally unwatchable. For the sake of South Side fans, I hope those guys aren't on the radio too.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Yawie - The Hawk's partner for the past few years has been former player (loosely) Darrin Jackson. I like it when the Hawk tells stories about the 60's, but his key phrases are annoying. Jackson has no personality.

But, for equal time, the Cubs new dynamic duo of Len Kasper and Bob Brenly are about as flat and boring as anyone in recent memory. There is just no substance there, no history of the team (the other day they were raving about a player on the other team and didnt realize he had been on the Cubs just a couple of years ago). Just a terrible train wreck in the booth. I try to listen to the radio now when at all possible.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Jim Gray. D-head deluxe.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• In order #1 being the worst:

1) Merrill Hoge - didnt pick one freaking game right, said redskins would win division and cowboys would be the wildcard..never admited he was always wrong
    2) Bill Walton: Need I even say why....
    3) Jim Gray: Acts as if he is covering the Middle east peace talks
    4) Dan Lebetar: What a Homer nothing of intelligence to add
    5) Skip Bayless: Got fired from Dallas Morning News now resides in San Jose because no reputible paper will pick him up.
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Joe Morgan is the best announcer and he isn't afraid to criticize all the million-dollar crybabies who play in the big leagues today. I love Morgan because he tells it like it is.
    I am always looking to invest in high-PSA Joe Morgan cards.
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>Joe Morgan is the best announcer and he isn't afraid to criticize all the million-dollar crybabies who play in the big leagues today. I love Morgan because he tells it like it is. >>

Curious reason to like an announcer...not trying to bash you, but I find Morgan to be incredibly lifeless and vastly inferior to Jon Miller.

And when I hear announcers criticize (especially Joe Theismann) I can't help but feel its at least a twinge (if not outright) jealousy over the money they make.

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I find Morgan to be incredibly lifeless and vastly inferior to Jon Miller. >>

While Morgan may not be the most "entertaining" announcer, he is one of the most insightful. If he predicts something will happen, 9 out of 10 times he's right. Color commentators are there for insight and not play by play. Hence the reason you normally have at least 2 people in the booth image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

I cannot stand BIll Walton. Its a shame he ever learned to speak.

Hawk Harrelson is another that I have to mute. If I hear "He gone," one more time I may throw up.

My two athletes I always hated who are finally both retired are Reggie Miller and Chris Carter. Both are whiney little beotches that thought a flag/whistle should have been called against their defender every play. Please..you missed your shot/catch hustle back to the huddle/defense and for crying out loud "SHUT UP!"

I feel better now.

I wish Mike Tyson bopped Jim Grey on his head also(that little weasle).
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    Two guys I can't stand, both named "Dick", go figure. image

Dick Vitale - Very knowlegable, but very obnoxious. The yelling schtick grew tiresome about 12 years ago.

Dick Enberg - Constantly ruining important sports moments by attempting to come up with definitive, "Do you believe in miracles?"-type memorable calls, but always coming off sounding contrived.
  • Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    Billy pACCker.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image