Home U.S. Coin Forum

List the coin grading companies from best to worst

Comments

• tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Top: PCGS
    Close second: NGC or ANACS
    Old PCI: Great to score upgrades

All others including PCI: Ignore (Treat as raw)

Tom
    Tom

• If your a dealer or registry set collector and looking for the most bang for you buck, PCGS as they seem to have the best resale value
    for a collector who wants slabbed coins without the hassel of joining the "club" ANACS
    PCI I have not used....

summary

ANACS
    PCGS
    PCI
    There is nothing more powerful than the power of goodbye
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    In my humble opinion and for what I collect, PCGS and NGC are like comparing apples and apples... and for me, the rest are oranges. Some oranges are just better tasting than others.image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS
    ANACS
    NGC
    ICG
    All the rest---treat as raw

The old PCI with the green label was very conservative and up there with the best but no longer exists since being sold and becoming PCI gold.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• - PCGS and NGC tied for first...both have good and bad days in equal measure
    - ANACS a close second, and first in some areas like early copper (in my opinion)...and in most cases good enough to buy without concern. And best for album collectors because their slabs are so easy to crack.
    - ICG is third...can make some good rips there if you know what you're looking at
    the rest
  • I thought I read somewhere that PCGS, NGC, and NTC were the top 3 sources for grading coins. I know from what I've been told here they are not. Were they ever good?
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    List the coin grading companies from best to worst

Best for the submitter or best for the end user?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Both I guess
  • I have only seen a handful of NTC coins. They were all overgraded in my opinion.

<< <i>List the coin grading companies from best to worst

Best for the submitter or best for the end user? >>

Best as far as respect within the industry for accuracy and consistency.

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO

ANACS
    PCGS
    NGC
    SEGS
    PCI

but don't let the holder keep you from "buying the coin"
  • I'm thinking about getting some nickels graded and I am wondering who I should send the to. I've heard PCGS is the most respected for grading.
  • When I'm buying....ANACS
    When I'm selling....PCGS
    In between and for slab design....NGC

Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • So never buy NTC coins or any other grading service's not listed

<< <i>So never buy NTC coins or any other grading service's not listed >>

Well, at least pay for the coin inside the NTC holder, disregarding what the label says.
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. PCGS
    2. NGC
    3. ANACS
    4. PCI...green label only, with 10 digit serial number.
    5. IGC
    6. SEGS

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best as far as respect within the industry for accuracy and consistency.

What do you mean by "accuracy"? Seriously.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does everybody here have such high regard for ANACS, they are always a grade or 2 too high.

I would list them as:

1. PCGS
    2. PCI...green label only, with 10 digit serial number.
    3. IGC
    4. NGC
    5. ANACS
    6. SEGS

-
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why does everybody here have such high regard for ANACS, they are always a grade or 2 too high. >>

First of all, this has never been true in my opinion. I think ANACS is, overall, the most consistent of the bunch.

Secondly, tell that to someone who submits moderns. They'll laugh in your face at the suggestion that ANACS is too loose.
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    For me...... anacs (1a)
    pcgs (1b)
    ngc (2)
    old green label pci (3)
    icg (4)

Everything else is just a blur of sound and fury, signifying not a whole lot....
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !

<< <i>Why does everybody here have such high regard for ANACS, they are always a grade or 2 too high.

- >>

Thats not my experience. I have personally crossed an undesignated NGC 64 peace top 50 Vam into an ANACS 63 holder. image
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. ANACS
    2. PCGS
    3. all the rest including NGC (overgrade on Morgans)
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I buy some NTC, PCI, ACG

i only do it with good pictures, adjust the grades accordingly, realize it may not holder in a major, and pay much lower

I would consiuder paying 65 money for your nickel if i saw it in auction

unless that is purple toning and would probably not buy from picture due to probability of AT

<< <i>1. ANACS
    2. PCGS
    3. all the rest including NGC (overgrade on Morgans) >>

I agree, the ugliest MS65 Peace dollar I have is from the Binion collection in an NGC holder. It wouldn't even make 63 at NTC. Only (and last) coin I ever bought sight unseen. I keep it to remind me of what not to do.
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS
    ICG
    SEGS
    ANACS
    NGC
  • 1. PCGS/ANACS/NGC (Differs on different types of coins)
    2. Old Green Label PCI
    3. ICG
    4. ACG/SEGS/etc......

Just My Opinion. image
    If only some the others would start putting the info on the top edge of the holder. Thats a great idea that needs to be copied.

• << <i>Why does everybody here have such high regard for ANACS, they are always a grade or 2 too high.
    - >>

No way. ANACS are generally, in my opinion 1-3 points below NGC or PCGS. They're almost always undergraded, which is actually sad for ANACS. Many buy ANACS for the purpose of cracking and re-submitting to PCGS or NGC and gaing a point or two. That's why ANACS slabs so many, yet you don't really see them that much and they look like they have a small presence in the marketplace.
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • Anacs- realistic- very consistent
    PCGS- somewhat consistent
    NGC- like Avis- trying to be #1
    ICG- ??????- 4
    anything else- is garbage
  • KurtHornKurtHorn Posts: 1,382
    PCGS for re-sale value
    ANACS closely tied with NGC for second, Great slab which is easy on my safe deposit box space, attributions, and best of all for Net Grading Problem coins. I despise paying big money for body bags, plus NCS stinks for slabbing because they only give a details grade, I want the graders opinion on how far the damage causes the coin to drop in value.
    NGC for re-sale value, but their slabs stink because they are too damn tall and they scratch VERY easily!
    ICG is fine for anything except modern high grade stuff. They can be too conservative, so if you're careful they can be a great slab to get a rip on. I have hopes that one day their re-sale value will rival the big 3. As soon as it does I'll be a big customer.

Huge drop to #5...

PCI Green Label 10 digit serials... Many of these have already been picked clean so be careful.
    In my opinion, the rest also have rip potentials if you can grade. I have had many great rips from NTC and 1 or 2 from SEGS. I wouldn't pay money to slab anything from anyone #5 and down, their re-sale value stinks.
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
    ANACS is very conservative with US gold. Also, I've seen them net-grade coins with minor problems that PCGS and NGC would ignore.

• TrimeTrime Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭
    Surprising that NGC is held in such low regard on this forum.
    I would say:
    PCGS
    NGC
    and a few ICG and ANAC coins.
    That said there are a few very nice coins found in third tier holders
    Trime
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look, the gent has asked a question and no one has given him a COMPLETE answer, so here it is, IMHO.

1. PCGS
    2. NGC
    3. ANACS ( but number one in Variety certification)
    4.PCI (old Green lables)
    5. SEGS
    6. PCI (Gold lables)
    7. NNC (a lot of cleaned stuff but not as bad as NTC)
    8.ACG
    9 NTC

Please note that the only real test is to have the coin in your hand for examination. Some take a chance and buy lesser known slabs to save money, but that happens rarely. Often the coins have problems, and almost all are over graded. Most coins sent in lower tier slabs will cross 2-3 grades lower when sent to PCGS. Therefore I recomend you stay with the top three companies until you get your grading skills honed.
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
    WaterSport---Where would you put ICG in your list?

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Tier 1: ANACS, NGC, and PCGS
    Tier 2: ICG
    Tier 3: All others

JMO
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Surprising that NGC is held in such low regard on this forum. I would say: PCGS NGC and a few ICG and ANAC coins. That said there are a few very nice coins found in third tier holders >>

I'm equally as surprised ANACS is held in such high regard. I think ANACS deserves it, I just wasn't aware others agree.

My order as a Collector:
    NGC
    PCGS
    ANACS
    SEGS

PCI

As a Seller:
    NGC
    PCGS
    ANACS

peacockcoins

• xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    I only have submitted to PCGS and ANACS.
    I regard PCGS as holding the most value at the given grade.
    I like ANACS just as much, tie for first, but use them when I am not sure of cleaning or other alterations (i.e. don't want to risk a bodybag), and variety attribution.
    I respect NGC and would place them second in my own personal preference for no special reason other than I like to keep a consistent collection.
    PCI would be third for me. Same reason as NGC but they don't seem to have as much "street credit" in my opinion.

As has been said by others, I consider all others as raw. Some companies I almost consider less than raw - like the one that legally attacks collectors for pointing out their faults in a forum such as this one. image
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • KurtHornKurtHorn Posts: 1,382
    Look, trying to put an order to anything after the top 4 is like trying to decide which pig's smell has a sweeter crap stink than the other. Seriously now...
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    PCGS
    NGC
    ANACS
    ICG

The rest sight seen only and only if priced according to the actual grade of the coin.
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295

<< <i>Why does everybody here have such high regard for ANACS, they are always a grade or 2 too high >>

Nonsense. I've cracked out quite a few and sent to PCGS. The majority crossed. I had a few downgrade, but by one point only.
  • DJCDJC Posts: 787

<< <i>The rest sight seen only and only if priced according to the actual grade of the coin. >>

Personally, I wish this applied more often to PCGS and NGC as well. Too many low for the grade pieces are priced at strong levels for these two, IMO.

My ranking:

#1 PCGS and ANACS (PCGS usually most consistent, ANACS pretty tight on circulated 19th century, plus attributions are unparalleled)
    #2 NGC (I find too many ugly for the grade pieces, even though technically there)
    #3 ICG, old label PCI, SEGS (sight seen and only if priced accordingly)

All the rest I'll only take the chance if verification of authenticity is not an issue, and it's priced according to what the coin grades, not what the holder says. Very few other services coins make the cut very often.
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    two way tie pcgs and ngc

• << <i>Best for the submitter >>

There's a few TPG's that haven't been listed yet that may qualify as best for some submitters...

MCCS, SGS, PGS and Gallery Grading Company are all about equally great if you are looking for MS/PR 68-70 graded coins.
    A big plus for MCCS is the toilet bowl slabs.

Don't expect that any coins in those holders will cross to respectable (ie. PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG) TPG's at anywhere near the same grade (or even as authentic, or even to cross at all vs. being body-bagged), nor is it likely that any even remotely knowledgeable person would agree they are accurately graded... but, if you're looking for someone to grade all your coins as (near) perfect (even if they aren't), these are the TPG's you'll want to use.

Varieties are the spice of a Type Set.

Need more $$$ for coins?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file