Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Hey, PocketPieceCommem! The lowest grade OREGON ever!

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
Heritage ANA sale:

1849 $5 Oregon Exchange Co. Five Dollar Fair 2 PCGS. K-1, R.5. Oregon pioneers were among the first to hear of the discovery of large quantities of gold in California and among the first immigrants to the gold fields. Some of these miners returned to Oregon with bags of gold dust, which could not be efficiently traded. Private coinage was once again the solution, as the Oregon Exchange Company, composed of territorial politicians and merchants, sprang into being. Five and Ten Dollar gold coins were struck at a two-story building at the corner of 5th and Water Streets in Oregon City. Prominently featured on the obverse of their coins was the beaver, the symbol of the industrious Oregonian. This heavily worn example shows a fully outlined beaver. T.O. (for Oregon Territory) is clear, and the date is mostly legible. The reverse is worn smooth save for the denomination, 5 D. Listed on Page 307 of the 2005 Guide Book.
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    This has to be one of the most difficult coins to authenticate.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy:
    I would think it's the easiest. Can you explain??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    I would think it's the easiest. Can you explain??

Sure. At that grade level, almost all of the die characteristics, strike characteristics and surface characterics are obliterated. I don't imagine an authentic AG would look much different than a decent counterfeit that has been legitimately worn down to the same level of detail. It might take a trip to the SEM-EDX lab to figure out if the coin was really struck from native Oregon gold. And even that's not conclusive!
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    ReeceReece Posts: 378 ✭✭✭
    And i predict that Reece will buy that coin, since I will be at the auction.!!image
    RWK