Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Difference between Topps card Printed in Canada?

I just picked up some '60's Topps baseball and they say printed in Canada on the back. I thought the ones printed in Canada were Opeechee? Can anyone expain? Thanks
Looking for Red Sox HOF items

Comments

• Options
    They are O-Pee-Chee, there just isn't any such designation printed on the cards. T.C.G. Printed in Canada and the slight differences in cardboard stock and ink are the only big tip-offs. For what it's worth Topps cards from the 60's didn't really say Topps on them anywhere either.

When did they start printing Topps on the front of the cards anyways?
  • Options
    athleticsfanathleticsfan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When did they start printing Topps on the front of the cards anyways? >>

Good question. 1981 is the first year I could find with the name Topps on the front.
    A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
  • Options
    My first card ever as a child: An O-Pee-Chee Oscar Gamble. Notice that in my card that it is noticable that the cardboard stock as well as the ink are far superior to any Topps issue.

After two more solid seasons, Gamble went to the Yankees for Pat Dobson in December 1975. He played right field, and helped New York to its first AL pennant in 12 years with 17 HR and 57 RBI in 340 at-bats. His wife, Juanita, sang the national anthem at Yankee Stadium several times that season, including once before a playoff game. However, the Yankee front office had her in tears when they forced Oscar to cut off his luxuriant Afro, the largest in baseball. It added more than four inches to his height and sometimes popped his batting helmet off. This card appears to be sans afro Gamble.
    Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.
  • Options
    I picked up a decent Jim Palmer rookie and a couple other commons, are they worth more being opeechee?
    Looking for Red Sox HOF items
  • Options
    In 1981, when Donruss and Fleer (re)entered the card market all three of the major card issuers printed their name or logo on the front of the card. Prior to this Topps never needed to identify their brand. Besides some regional, OPC or oddball issues, they were the card market.
    Mark
    "Pete Rose would walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Sparky Anderson
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    1979 Topps had their logo on the fronts.
  • Options

<< <i>I picked up a decent Jim Palmer rookie and a couple other commons, are they worth more being opeechee? >>

pre-1976 OPC production is about 5-10% of their Topps counterpart. Undoubtedly, they are more difficult to find. Prices guides value OPCs more than Topps and some insane OPC collectors pay x fold over Topps (cough, cough.) However, demand for the Canadian cards is less than Topps.

The SMR has a footnote that indicates that OPCs are scarcer.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin