Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

JUST CURIOUS: Why Have A Registry Set And Not...

I posted this thread for the good people on the coin forum yesterday, but did not get much of a response:

"Why have a registry set and not have a link to it so people can look at it??? For example, in some of the Morgan registries where I have sets, there are several top-level sets that don't have the link (e.g. California I through V). Man, why put together sets like those and not want people to see them? Beats the heck out of me!"

I'm hoping to hear more from you registry participants over here!

Cartwheel

Comments

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭
    Your question is good, and has been discussed. You may find threads that answer it much better, but, sometimes, if a collector is known to "need" a rare coin, as suggested by the pops in the registry, an owner of this coin could search out the buyer in need, and set a higher than market asking price for the coin. Keeping a collection "closed" alleviates this possibility. We can't view it, but there is a valid reason. imho
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Because the competition and pricing of coins the collector may want to upgrade depends on demand. For those of us who don't deal in the upper reaches it seems like a selfish act but from their perspective it is smart business.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Because the competition and pricing of coins the collector may want to upgrade depends on demand. For those of us who don't deal in the upper reaches it seems like a selfish act but from their perspective it is smart business. >>

Yes, it IS "smart business". Unfortunately, IMHO, that is not what this hobby should be about.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    selfishness comes to mind.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I see no point in listing a set in the registry without sharing it with fellow collectors.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    And pics help. It gives you an idea of why the set was put together at times.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paranoid comes to mind, so does chicken squat. I think it should be band. I can assure you that nobody tries to sell us low end collectors $10,000 Lincolns. Its an "Upper Crust" problem only.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    I've heard some say that there are so few coins that make the difference between #1 and #2 sometimes that they're keeping their poker face on what it takes to beat each other and what coins they've picked up along the way. Usually on low populations, the top guys know who has the coins they need. Sometimes when one moves it's pretty hush hush as they don't want to show their hand to the other guy.

I've seen a hostile takeover that way before. Both guys are glad handing and congratulating each other while trying to stick a knife in each other. (not literally) It gets pretty BRUTAL sometimes, but it can still end up a friendly cardgame with all smiles at the end. image

It's fun to watch anyway. image
    Seth
  • Options
    WS, image

RegistryNut