Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1966 Philadelphia Football

Whay are so few of these graded and why are so few graded 8 or higher?

Comments

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

There are more 8's than 7's. I think you may have been looking at 8Q?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    I sthere any interest in this set or are they just had to find in high grades??
  • Options
  • Options
    Looking for well centered 1958 topps baseball psa 8 and up. Also dying for a 70 Aaron All Star in PSA 9.
  • Options
    The 66 Philly set is by far the toughest of the Philly sets to complete. As a matter of fact it's one of the toughest football sets in the 60's to even find. I would guess that it probably had the lowest print run of the Philly sets. It has a weak card stock and is notorious for diamond cuts. These are all contributing factors as to why it's a tough set and there are very few graded.

Doug
    Looking for well centered 1958 topps baseball psa 8 and up. Also dying for a 70 Aaron All Star in PSA 9.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Someone pointed out in a discussion of 1966 Philadelphia
    that there are two major rookie cards in the set both booking at about $ 500 in PSA 8.
    Those would be the Dick Butkus card # 31 and the Gale Sayers card # 38.

Since there are no official short prints in the set, it would make sense
    that that about the same number of each of the two cards would have been submitted for grading by now.

Yet only 292 of the Butkus cards have been submitted, while 648 Sayers cards have been submitted,
    and there are three times as many Sayers 8's as Butkus 8's and there are 16 Sayers 9's and only 2 Butkus 9's.

Judging from all the horrible off-centers and diamond cuts in the issue,
    my theory is that there were huge amounts of cards that had to be discarded
    because they were just too miscut to be sold, thereby creating de facto 'short-prints' of some of the cards.

It's my favorite of all the Philly sets, but I've found it very fustrating to try to put together in high grade.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    Do you have any idea what commons might be SP's? Thanks for the info