Home Autographs Forum

As Rare As I Can Post - Really! Bud Abbott and Lou Costello Unpublished Photograph!!!

Hi All,

here is a very rare item indeed. An original candid photograph of Bud Abbott and Lou Costello c. 1952 in California. It has it all - it shows both of them hamming, it is straight and in reasonable focus, and it is in excellent condition as well. This is one of my very best peices. Printed on Velox paper. The previous owner may have allowd its use in a biography but I can't verify this so it remains basically "unpublished".

Best,
Billy

Bud Abbott and Lou Costello - vintage original candid glossy b/w photograph of both hamming c. 1952, from the Francis Zane Collection

Comments

• dunerduner Posts: 625
    Billy, I was curious about unpublished photos of celebrities. I've been following this auction on ebay....the claim is the photo's never been published and the buyer inherently receives its rights. but it's of a slide, and i'm not even sure how one goes about having it reproduced. And suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Is this smoke and mirrors or is there some sort of potential of extrinsic value?

1960's Maravich Slide
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780

<< <i>Billy, I was curious about unpublished photos of celebrities. I've been following this auction on ebay....the claim is the photo's never been published and the buyer inherently receives its rights. but it's of a slide, and i'm not even sure how one goes about having it reproduced. And suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Is this smoke and mirrors or is there some sort of potential of extrinsic value?

1960's Maravich Slide >>

There is a leetle thing called trademark law created by a certain stars son. YOU NEVER EVER receive the "rights" to ANY photographic negative, print or original painting you buy unless stated so in writing at the time of sale by someone authorized to do so. To say "inherently" is just an outright lie. You CAN NOT own the copyright as you are not the author - unless the repro rights are specifically sold to you in b/w. Even still, with a celeb with a trademarked face, his face, hands, style, accent, hairdo, clothes/costume. gestures...ALL are protected from being "resold" - IE if you have a 35mm print or slide from the 1950's of a big movie star you could show it or sell it as a collectable, but you may NOT reproduce images on mugs t-shirts. etc. or his/her estate will follow you down and want a cut. As far as a slide, easy to date, easy to reproduce and often prefferable. I can copy and correct slides in my house. But same rules. Trademark is very different than copyright. Now, PM me and tell me who the star is???

Best,
    Billy image

PS - we should trade the names of who we buy from, and not.
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    Remember watching "Sach and the Bowery Boys"please correct me if I have this wrong, when I was a kid.
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC