Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: Which RARE coin would you choose? worn, holed, scratched, etc? Assume 1796 or 1797 small eagl

BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hypothetically:

You desire a coin that is RARE in any grade, for our purposes let's assume it's a 1796 or 1797 small eagle half dollar.

You're offered your pick of any one of the poll choices, which would you choose and WHY?

updated for 5+ years later: PLEASE vote before reading the responses!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would choose either of the first two listed pieces, they being the PCGS PO1 or NGC FA2, as long as they were truly identical as written. The holder would likely sway me into the PCGS coin simply because I like the PCGS holder more than the NGC holder. The other coins would be excluded because I try to be fairly disciplined about buying original coinage.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Problem free, the only way to be.image

#1 or #2. Makes no difference so I did not vote.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give me the clean, well worn piece anytime.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    DarkmaneDarkmane Posts: 1,021
    i'd put a string through the anacs holed coin and wear it around my neck
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I'd go for the hole. But I would also be happy with the FR02
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Here's both a 1796 qarter and a 1797 Half in PCGS FR02. A picture is worth a 1000 votes......but my vote wold be BOTH!

Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    Original coins are the best. Im gonna go with PCGS.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although either one of these in choice 1 or 2 would be a dream coin for me..... I'd have to go with
    choice #1. Why?.... well to me it wouldn't even matter if it was in a holder at all. But the peer pressure
    of "Would the darn thing cross" and "there must be a reason it's in the other holder" would make
    me lose sleep. I need to be with the "In crowd" and be a follower.

Otherwise I would enjoy the darn thing naked much more. You didn't say if choice #2 had a chance at a cross did you?

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    PCGS coin is off to an early lead... no surprise, koolaid drinkers image

I say that because the pcgs coin would be my last choice.

I went with the ANACS coin because I want to see the defining detail of this type of coin, the small eagle; I consider a small neat hole the least of the flaws described, and for a coin like this, a lot better than having the reverse eagle side worn completely smooth.

I would even prefer the PCI/SEGS coin to the smooth one, damn it, I want to see some details!
    (I'm going to crack it out of the silly slab, anyway, regardless of the "brand")

I know there's a novelty market for pcgs poor 1 slabs, but I'd still prefer the NGC coin, it's a point higher.. image again

• Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    You guys going for a problem free PO1 are crazy. The F details, net PO1 with a small hole is still much more appealing than something you can barely tell what it is.
  • Options
    Oops, I better change my opinion. Folks are starting to tell me what I should like better. LMAO
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    I picked the PCGS, I try to stay away from damaged goods.

Although I picked PCGS, the NGC would work also.

• Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>Oops, I better change my opinion. Folks are starting to tell me what I should like better. LMAO >>

Yep, imagine that, someone telling you what is better to collect image I have never heard that on this forum LMAO
  • Options
    For the record, I for one did not tell anyone else what to think, I very clearly expressed what I think.

• Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    My choice was the NGC coin because as given, it was a bit better than the PCGS example. At this level PCGS vs. NGC means nothing. I was tempted by the holed ANACS coin but the hole simply is too much of an impairment to me plus I don't find myself apologizing for a coin that only has honest wear. I can't stand cleaned coins so pass the others.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    BTW what does everyone figure a Fair-2 1796/7 half in PCGS/NGC would auction for???
    morgannut2
  • Options
    Not sure what one is worth. Honestly I probably wouldn't like it as like Baley said I want to see some detail.
    But I'd rather have the problem free one of the above choices. A guy had one in much higher grade a while back for about 60-70K.
    I'm mad at myself for not saving the image at least. It sold. He now only has a 1796 quarter in F-15 for about 30K that I just love it.
    At least I saved the image on the quarter.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I'd go with the PCI VG8

Because I prefer detail with some small problems over a piece worn smooth.

I want to see what a coin looks like and not have to use my imagination
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    hands down the anx coin which is totally original and with great details woth a little small drilled hole

i can live with the hole and then send it to the ex wife of a big olde time dealer in ky and she will plug the hole and then pxxx nxx will grade it

as she does the most amazing work that i cant even tell it was done

and if "michael" cant tell or figure it out even when he knows where the coin was plugged then it becomes a problem free coin and a little hole is no big deal

i have "heard" these fixed worm early coins get into pxxx nxx holders time and time again sent in by some of the biggest players in the coin biz

kind of like if a tree falls in the woods and no one sees or hears it fall does it make any noise
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    oh and even if the hole never gets plugged then the anx coin is still the coin for me hands down

and i am uninamous in this image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>oh and even if the hole never gets plugged then the anx coin is still the coin for me hands down

and i am uninamous in this image >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I chose the NGC coin because I'll usually take a lower grade over a problem coin. I want to see some evidence of the defining feature of the type. I'll admit that I was very tempted by the SEGS coin. It's correctly described and the details are important to me, but the no-problem coin won out. (I cannot abide holed coins.)
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787
    Looks like I may be one of the few to admit to picking the SEGS piece. For a 200+ year old piece, give me a moderate cleaning and a small rim nick or two, with nice detail any day. Too me, if advertised and priced as such, it is an honest condition for a coin of the era.

The PCGS and NGC are out, first cause I couldn't care less about the plastic. It's coming out of there, anyway! Second, I just want some level of detail, and poor and fair coins, while neat, wouldn't be my choice. Third, in my not-so-humble-cause-I'm-in-a-mood-today opinion, the obsession with "original" pieces is becoming ludicrous. 99% of pre 1900's coins on the market, in holders or out, have been made "un-original" in some fashion. They've been cleaned, wiped, thumbed, polished, touched, thumbed, toned, or flipped to see who's picking up the check at dinner. That's what people did with coins. The "original" coins on the market today are just the ones which were handled least egregiously and have survived the best. I mean, who followed that coin since 1796-7 and can tell me that it has never been mishandled in any fashion?

The ANACS piece is a close second, but while I'm OK with a light cleaning or a rim ding or two, a hole is more intrusive damage than I would prefer (no offense to LordM and the other holey colectors image ). PCI I just don't trust to have a 1796-7 half in their holder, as labeled, and wouldn't part with the money a coin of this caliber would demand on the basis of their assessment of authenticity.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Can we assume the coins in the third world slabs are authentic?

[Edit to add: Since we've been told the NGC coin is a bit better than the PCGS coin, now we can truly see how many hard-core Kool-Aid drinkers we have on board.]
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd go with the PCI VG8

Because I prefer detail with some small problems over a piece worn smooth. >>

I agree. But I'd cross the PCI coin into an ANACS slab right away.

<< <i>Original coins are the best. Im gonna go with PCGS. >>

<< <i>The holder would likely sway me into the PCGS coin simply because I like the PCGS holder >>

What flavor Kool-Aid are they serving today? I hope it's grape... I like grape.
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't the idea behind spending the equivalent of a new car on a small eagle type is that you can enjoy looking at the eagle?

I collect down to VG, I need to see some detail, so the ANACS coin is an easy choice. I don't like abrasively cleaned coins with heavy hairlines as 100% of the surface is ruined. As Michael said, the hole can be expertly plugged and will eventually find its way into a top tier slab. If the edge lettering is worn to the point of being illegible on the PCGS or NGC coins, there would be no way of determining if the coin was authentic, as it could be struck from transfer dies and then worn down. Edge lettering would be tough to accurately duplicate on a struck coin.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    What flavor Kool-Aid are they serving today? I hope it's grape... I like grape. >>

Goofy Grape?

I was more of a Choo-Choo Cherry or Jolly Olly Orange kid myself.

[edit to add: Personally, I take the ANACS coin and have it professionally repaired. Then I send it back to ANACS. I'll bet the net Poor-1 would become at least net G-4.]
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can "fix" the ANACS coin. You can't the others.

I'd go with ANACS.

peacockcoins

• Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    The SEGS or PCI coin. If the scratches are only so bad as to net the grade from VG to G they can't be that bad. And its a 200+ year old relic so some marks are expected. Heck even an MS piece could have some nasty adjustment marks.

As far as oringinal surfaces are concerned, the PO-1 has no original surfaces left. Those were worn away 200 years ago.

The G-VG detail coin with some hairlines at least has enough detail to look like something. And worn early bust coins retain a good deal of their character at the G-VG detail level

If you don't like hairlines, carrry in your pocket a bit and it will wear those off, and then let it retone a bit, and you will still have much better detail than the PO-1 piece.

CG
  • Options
    some of you folks make some very good points...

• Options
    I'd pay a few hundred bucks to a coin doctor and get the ANACS coin professionally plugged if I was going to hold it for a long time.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id say keep them all, not intrested!

jim
  • Options
    OffMetalOffMetal Posts: 1,684
    I voted on the PCGS PO-01 one image

I'd rather have a problem-free worn coin image
    -Ben T. * Collector of Errors! * Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    None of the above.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    hmmmmmmmm

• Options
    WORN BUT PROBLEM FREE FOR ME!!!!!
    GRUMPY OLD MAN
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    I'd rather have the g-vg detail slightly cleaned coin. a slick disc is nothing fun to look at, and the detail of the holed one would be nice......but that damn hole would bug me, light cleaning swipes on a 210 year old coin would not.
  • Options
    TTT for additional votes/comments?

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    I'd take the holed coin, and then I'd try and sell it to Lord Marcovan for enough money to get myself a nice VF-XF example.image

Just kidding Lord Marcovan!image I love reading your post when I lurk in the metal detecting forum.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send me the ANACS. It makes me no difference what holder it is in since 10 minutes after receiving it it would be naked again. I know a couple of people who could repair the small hole to the point that it would no longer be findable (yes, even by the top TGP's)
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    Interesting results...

• Options
    SDCollectorSDCollector Posts: 886 ✭✭
    Tough choice. Guess I would go with the holed coin, but I would probably be second-guessing myself all night long.
    Bill
  • Options
    Can we assume the coins in the third world slabs are authentic?

You can assume that with exactly the level of confidence you have in that grading company's opinion..

If you don't trust their judgement, that may factor into your decision..

• Options
    Send me the ANACS

me too image

I had a certain budget for this type of coin (wanted to keep the price to 3 figures), my choices were a worn-smooth slug, a coin with outlined details and moderate problems, usually cleaning, or this:

• Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    I chose the PCI.......**with details**...........
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Sounds like a great deal, but I will pass on all of them. They are all slabbed and I will not get a slabbed coin to add to my collection.
  • Options
    well, Conder101, that kind of talk might get you banned image

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering we are talking about either a very generous or a very dumb dealer.....and the price was zero invested...Id take the ANACS holed piece and ship it to Kentucky and let Mr. Stockton take his time on it and professionally repair it.

You can plug a hole but you cant put back detail that has been worn away.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Going just by the description, I'd go with number 3. I would very VERY rarely go with a holed coin, but this is one instance I would. The extreme low grade of the first two options is a turnoff for me and the cleaning/scratched/rim bump combined on the last one is just as bad as the small hole imho.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file