Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

I got a PSA 10 on the biggest rookie card of the 1980's

Thats right. My grades just popped and I got a PSA 10 Ron Kittle rookie! (I think his rookie is 1984) On a side note, I was disappointed to see that my Rusty Kuntz only graded a 9...Oh well, can't win them all.

Comments

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Are you doing a ROY set? Or just like the name Rusty Kuntz?
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i'll buy the Rusty Kuntz from you..

edit - im serious, are you selling? if so how much?..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next thing you know you'll be reporting that you got that 82 fleer Joe Charboneau rookie PSA 10 we've all been hunting for!!
    Congrats!!
    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Kittle's rookie is 1983. Charbonneau's is 1981.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good catch on both.....i know i'm still waiting on the kittle to take off...got a bucnh of 83 fleer. Forgot the charboneau was 81 since i trade all mine for valenzuela and raines rookies!
    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    KremsKrems Posts: 347 ✭✭
    Man...you ruined my day. I thought it was his rookie. Oh well, my mistake.
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    Krems - Nick M is only half right. His real "rookie" is indeed his '84 card, though he was included in the '83 update sets (which isn't considered a rookie card). So you can backflip if you like.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Ron Kittle has been in the news of late as a matter of fact. He has written a book and one of the entries is about Barry Bonds supposedly refusing to sign a bat or something for Kittle's charity's auction because "he [didn't] sign for white people".
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Krems - Nick M is only half right. His real "rookie" is indeed his '84 card, though he was included in the '83 update sets (which isn't considered a rookie card). So you can backflip if you like. >>

I think the overwhelming majority of collectors consider cards from update and traded sets to be rookie cards. There's certainly no shortage of those sets, so it can't be argued that they weren't mass distributed. The XRC designation is pretty silly IMHO.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Kittle was in '83 Fleer.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    Nick: I stand corrected. You are correct.
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Is it his '84 Donruss PSA 10 that you have?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Nope...Its a 1984 Topps Ron Kittle non-rookie, but first regular issue topps card from what it sounds like...Sounds like its time to bust some 1983 Fleer
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, let's not forget that ol' Rusty Kuntz had the game winning RBI in the clinching game (game 5) of the 1984 World Series for the Tigers. That PSA 9 should be worth a fortune.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey, let's not forget that ol' Rusty Kuntz had the game winning RBI in the clinching game (game 5) of the 1984 World Series for the Tigers. That PSA 9 should be worth a fortune. >>

shhhhh! i just bought it! image
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Man...I've been had! lol
  • Options
    Here he is with a friend :

imageimage

Kevin
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    Apparently when spectators heard those names they headed for the exits!

Seriously, how bad were those White Sox uniforms? Rusty looks like a late cut from the Village People tryouts!
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>Krems - Nick M is only half right. His real "rookie" is indeed his '84 card, though he was included in the '83 update sets (which isn't considered a rookie card). So you can backflip if you like. >>

Who doesn't consider update sets as rookie cards?

If it's their first mass-produced card, it's their rookie card. Roger Clemens, for example, 84 fleer update is his rookie card.

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    True Dat! The blue/white ensemble is better than 2 years later and the red/white/blue ensemble: image

Julen

______
    Collecting:

1980 Topps: Over 4,000 cards from vending and wax boxes awaiting a giant bonfire
    1969 Topps Master: # 1 1
    1987 Kraft Dinners Home Plate Heroes
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Who doesn't consider update sets as rookie cards? >>

Beckett, for one or anybody whose definition of "rookie card" includes that the card must have been available in packs, not just factory sets. Beckett, for example, calls the '84 Fleer Update Roger Clemens an XRC.

Tabe
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>Beckett, for one or anybody whose definition of "rookie card" includes that the card must have been available in packs, not just factory sets. Beckett, for example, calls the '84 Fleer Update Roger Clemens an XRC.

Tabe >>

But which card is most valuable?

And since when are update/traded sets that difficult to buy? It's not like they've ever been rare...even the 84 fleer update set was widely available when new.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭
    The only people who don't consider traded and update set XRC's (I hate that term!) to be rookie cards are the ones who don't have them! Go buy your '85 Clemens cards...they aren't his rookie!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>i'll buy the Rusty Kuntz from you..

edit - im serious, are you selling? if so how much?.. >>

LOL @ those lines. What a funny name. Poor kid, bet he got teased.
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>i'll buy the Rusty Kuntz from you..

edit - im serious, are you selling? if so how much?.. >>

LOL @ those lines. What a funny name. Poor kid, bet he got teased. >>

Maybe, but at least he got to play major league baseball.

Mike

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Ok, what do you consider to be someones rookie card? Is a 86 topps update Bonds rookie or the 87 regular topps his rookie. IMO, it would be the first card printed, traded set or packs. So I would say 86 topps. Same for other cards.

Stingray