Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

vintagerookies

seems to have lots of high grade BGS graded material and always ends auctions or sells early....anyone else notice this from this seller?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

Comments

• Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I have bought from him before, picked up a couple of my cards for my All Time sets from him in the last couple of months. Seems like a nice guy, only lives a couple hours from me. I think he ends the auctions early because he has some weird "system"... He'll list cards with low starting prices, end them and then relist them later. I don't know if he's doing it for the 10cent listing days and has something worked out so it costs him less or what. I've never understood it either. I can vouch for the quality of the cards and the holders. I was very happy with my stuff from him and I got it in a day. His auction for his Csonka psa 8 rc had ended and I emailed him about it, I got it for $10 less than his opening bid on ebay and had it the next day.

That was my experience with him, your mileage may vary. image
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Maybe if bidding doesn't reach a certain point by a certain time he pulls it. Doesn't make sense but who knows.

Lee
  • Options
    ranarana Posts: 242
    I've had great luck with stuff bought from vintageroookies (bptoman). I bought several PSA cards, an 86 Fleer Bsk set -Jordan, and some raw FB/Bsk cards as well. His grading and descriptions are accurate and shipping is always secure and fast.

He does end auctions early sometimes and relist when there are no bids. The only early ender he did for me was when I bought one card from him and changed my mind when I saw he posted a nicer one a few hours later, and he let me switch to the nicer card for the difference.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    He seems like a nice guy - he doesn't submit a lot of the cards he sells, so don't let the quantity of high grades from psa/bgs/gai scare you. I've sold a number of cards to him myself.

Regarding his auctions, if you start a listing at a certain amount and then lower it if it doesn't receive any bids, then ebay credits your account if there's a difference in the listing fee for your original price vs. your new one. So, if you start an auction at $100, no one bids after 6 days, and then you drop it to .99 and end the auction, you only pay the $.25 insertion fee. The same thing applies to fixed price auctions. It basically allows sellers to relist items at higher prices without paying the higher insertion fees every time.

Ebay doesn't seem to care about this practice as some sellers have done this for years. They only seem to care when sellers cancel bids and then end auctions.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I'm not sure about bptoman, but some sellers offer cards simultaneously at their internet store and on eBay. They put a card out on eBay because it has sat in their store for some time, but leave it up on their site in case someone pays the top-drawer price, then they yank the eBay auction. (Sometimes it's just carelessness, or because the site updates infrequently).

As far as bptoman / vintage rookies, I've never had any problem with them on cards I've bought. But I wish they didn't sell trimmed crap like this Montana rookie that's hacked so much that it's rattling around in the RARE holder. At least one of the R's in RARE must stand for "razor."