Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Will I get my due?

Here is the situation..tell me what you think?

In January of this year I bid on two 59 Topps ungraded from the seller -------- ( I have removed his name)

The seller does not accept Paypal so i sent him a personal check. Due to some weird error at my bank I was sent a notice that this check has bounced. (($9.44).......How humiliating!!!

Before even talking to the bank I sent an email to seller explaining the situation with apology and looking for remedy. he replied with this:

This shipment was sent out and if you want to clear this up you will have to send a money order for 9.44 +25.00 return check fee 34.55~~~ please take care of this right away so there will be no bad marks on this transaction I will tear up check when I receive it thank you

The next morning I got a postel money order which was sent out right away. ($34.44)

It took me a day or two with my bank to figure out that my original check had not bounced at all.

Over the next few weeks i sent numorous emails explaining bank error and expecting refund. He initially said he would refund money once he was sure there was no problem which he never did.......

He stopped responding to my emails for refund. Many weeks later I sent him an email which said that I would monitor his auctions and would one day bid on his auctions again to get my credit due..............he never responded.

Well that day is now...........I bid and expect to win two 72 graded cards for my set that he has up for auction. If I win them the total with shipping will be less then the $34.44 that he owes me.

SO Will I get my due?
Collector of:Baseball
1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

Comments

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    You're asking if he will send you the cards free because he owes you? Since he made you pay double for the other cards, plus charged you $25 for a check that never bounced, he doesn't strike me as a fellow who will be anxious to clear his conscience.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You're asking if he will send you the cards free because he owes you? Since he made you pay double for the other cards, plus charged you $25 for a check that never bounced, he doesn't strike me as a fellow who will be anxious to clear his conscience. >>

Yes jrdolan I agree.......I expect nothing but Negaitve feedback from him for non-payment.

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    What a hoser. Does the bank even charge you if you deposit a check from someone else that bounces? I would bid on the auctions because at least that way he's forced to re-open the lines of communication with you. If you get a neg, then so be it but at least he has to hear you out. Or you could get his contact info from ebay and call him.

Lee
  • Options
    Auctions ended tonight. I won two; He sent me an invoice for $20.55.

I responded with the following email:

N Zamora,

Around the 1st of the year I won two 1959 Topps cards from you. I sent a check. ($9.44) Due to some error at the bank, in which I was told the check had bounced, I sent you a money order for $34.55 which included $25.00 for a check that actually never bounced..............You kept the money.

Send me these two cards and we can call it even.

Jami Pfister

I expect to not hear back from this BOZO!!

• Options
    Kill him.
  • Options
    i wonder if his bank did charge him for the bad check?
  • Options
    I cant see how you can expect this guy to honor your refund if he hasnt already.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I bought once from that JERK, took over a month to get a 6.00 card. after 2 and a half weeks i politley inquired about the order and got a nasty email. NEVER again...........
    Good for you.
  • Options
    FYI- banks charge the persons account that deposits a bounced check on average $8-$12(industries averages). About 40% of the fee that banks charge if you bounce a check. When I set up a account for Ebaying I look into this as I still accept personal checks. I have a account that only charges $4.00 if I deposit a check that bounces twice. Edit to say even if his bank charged him he still made money off the deal. I say use another Ebay ID to bid on a expansive item and cause him a little pain because sometimes a neg just does not give you closure.

Jim
    Buy anything for cheap and sell for more.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It took me a day or two with my bank to figure out that my original check had not bounced at all. >>

I'm not sure I understand?

Did the check get bounced back to the seller? If so and it was your bank's fault and not yours, the bank should reimburse you for the fees that you incurred.

My bank charges me 5 bucks for a bounced client check - we don't charge extra if we know them - if this gets to be a problem, we do charge 25$ since there is a lot of admin time expended with statement and stuff.

The seller has balls charging you 25 bucks and obviously doesn't care if he gets repeat customers.

I don't think you will be getting your money back from this guy but I would take it up with your bank. They were responsible for the error in the first place if I have the story right.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It took me a day or two with my bank to figure out that my original check had not bounced at all. >>

I'm not sure I understand?

Did the check get bounced back to the seller? If so and it was your bank's fault and not yours, the bank should reimburse you for the fees that you incurred.

My bank charges me 5 bucks for a bounced client check - we don't charge extra if we know them - if this gets to be a problem, we do charge 25$ since there is a lot of admin time expended with statement and stuff.

The seller has balls charging you 25 bucks and obviously doesn't care if he gets repeat customers.

I don't think you will be getting your money back from this guy but I would take it up with your bank. They were responsible for the error in the first place if I have the story right.

mike >>

Mike,

No, the check did not bounce back to the seller. He incured no charges and would not even had been aware of any problem had I not informed him. I received a notice in the mail from my bank that the check had bounced. Before even checking with the bank I contacted seller. I wanted him to hear from me that my check may have bounced. On a saturday morning ( my bank is closed on saturday) I Priority mailed him a money order with the additional $25 ($34.44 total)..............On Monday when i checked with the bank I was told there had been an error and the check had not bounced. The "error" automatically generated a notice that was mailed.

Seller has contacted me............The two emails are as follows:

Jami, in researching this item I found that I sent you a refund for 35.00 after I found out that no check was returned on my bank statement, but that was 4 months ago. Im sorry you never received it .Anyway this refund will not come back this late. I never received any corespondence as to you never getting that amount. Since you have been an ebay member in good standing I will give you credit for the auctions you won and will ship the two cards at not cost to you plus I will include 14.00 in the shipment with it. It will have usps confirmation. I hope this clears up this unfortunate situation--- thanks, n.z.

Jami, since I'm off this week I had time to go ship your cards this morning and included is a $14.00 money order instead of cash. You should receive them in a few days.I hope this resolves this unfortunate situation . thanks, n.z.

I responded that I will look forward to the package's arrival............

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Cool.
  • Options
    Glad to hear it worked out Jami
    The fact is that he should have never charged you the 25$ if he hadn't incurred any expense yet.

But all's well, that ends well!
    Good luck on the cards - how about a scan when u get them.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Good to see the seller do the right thing...jay
  • Options
    Well today I got my due........

Package arrived today with my two recent purchases plus a $14.00 money order to cover the difference.

Seller came a long way from the poor attitude he had and then silence.

Chit happens I guess........image

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Great to hear your situation came out ok.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Good ending to it - you got your due.

Brian
  • Options
    I like happy endings!

Mike
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

Good news, indeed!