Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Commie pinko bastids

I dove into this one in a big way - picked up two cards, liked them, and got a whole set.

The set is 1951 Bowman Fight the Red Menace. It was a 48 card set with artwork similar to (but more sophisticated than) Bowman's Horrors Of War set issued 15 years earlier under Bowman's original company name of Gum Inc. The card fronts feature some pretty gruesome pictures of war and warfare, while the backs trumpeted rather heavy-handed anti-communist propaganda typical of the McCarthy era. This was an interesting time - shortly after a World War effort that most of America got behind and not long before our involvement in Vietnam that didn't quite get the same support. The questions about "what are we doing this for?" that arose from the Korean War were to light the fires of the anti-war movement that gained impetus into the '60s. IMO, that makes this Red Menace set an incredibly important document of history. It's interesting to note that the back of the cards identifies the set as "CHILDRENS CRUSADE AGAINST COMMUNISM".

As far as the condition of this particular set goes, it is raw and will probably remain raw. 50% is near mint, 40% is exmint and the rest is excellent. I will probably upgrade the 4 or 5 cards that are less than exmint, but for now, I'm just enjoying the artwork and trip down memory lane - (yes, I was 1 when this set came out).

Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Comments

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    MM,

Interesting set. Where did you first come across it? Reading these boards has turned me on to a number of older non sport cards sets that I otherwise would never have known existed.

Once you find an issue that you want to collect in the non-sports arena -- outside of eBay what other avenues do you have to track down the cards?

I continue to appreciate the "sharing" posts.

Matthew

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is pretty interesting. A propaganda collectible.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Matthew
    One place to get acquainted with vintage non sports is the registry.
    I've always had a weakness for non sports; I collected them in the 50's and I enjoy gathering up stuff that I have coveted over the years. If you're an Angels fan because you live in the SoCal area (like me) there are some decent card shows (Frank and Sons, Hollypark, Airtel) where you can still make some good picks - Robert Marcy of Scottsdale Sportscards is a good source, as well as Ron Wilson and some others. If there's a set you are interested in, try doing a google search of the set name and see what comes up.
    Good luck.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Neat cards Mike. Isnt that the set with a green faced Mao or someone like that? That set and the "Dont Let it Happen Here" set always stood out as propaganda extremes that I didnt realize would occur here.

Thats gotta be a tough set to get in great condition.
  • Options
    Keith,

I'll answer for Mike - it is a tough set to get in high grade. The set I've got here would probably grade mostly 7s & 6s, with a few 8s and maybe a few 5s.

This is card # 47 - looks like what Kermit the Frog might see if he looked in the mirror on acid:

Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    You know, Ive done that before too Mark. Im an idiot, you are just going to have to get used to that image.

Ive never seen that card that close before. Is that the actual Red Menace with that bloody sword? It looks like a cross between an abominable snowman and the Grinch.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nice P/U Mark
    Good for you.
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    don't let it happen over here
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice set Mike
    Kind of interesting about how things go in our society - the things that change - but one thing is interesting - it would be jingoitic, to some, if I were to put my flag out every day on my front porch and salute the flag - kind of a shame.

Mark
    The original artwork for those cards came up for auction in 1989, if memory serves - I wish I had deep pockets - that kind of stuff is great to collect IMO.

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mork,

I've seen top graded examples of this set go through the roof. I know you're a nut for that original artwork but I'll bet that was major high dollar stuff even 15 years ago.

Matt
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    Interesting thread. I wasn't aware of this set. This is a fascinating and important document, and you wonder about what all was behind it. "The Children's Crusade" is a curious reference. Slaughter House Five is subtitled "The Children's Crusade, A Duty-Dance With Death." Somewhere, I have a copy in which Vonnegut explains why he did this, but I can't find it. My daughter takes books from me and doesn't return them. Anyway, The Children's Crusade, according to Vonnegut, goes back to the middle ages, and has to do with selling children as slaves.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    It's funny, but when I read the back of that card, I can't help but think of the movie 'Starship Troopers'.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    wonder about what all was behind it. "The Children's Crusade"

I always thought it was marketed towards children hence that name. 1951 was during the red scare and this set was to educate kids on the horrors of communism.

JMO

Steve D
    Good for you.