Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Confession time aka "The Morgan of Shame"

When I first started collecting (and didn't know any better) I purchased most of my coins through a large, multi-page Coin World advertiser, located on the east Coast. image Fortunately, a small budget precluded purchases of much more than $20-30, usually those "gem bu" late date buffalos, walkers, franklins, mercuries, etc that such companies are well known for. Apparently slow to learn, I purchased many raw coins at local shows and shops as well, my only real standard for grading and eye appeal having been developed through the aforementioned mail order dealers. (Dates aren't exact here, but it was in the early years of slabs, '86-'90 era, roughly)

Now the kicker. I don't remember the exact price paid (having long since suppressed my failure, I guess) but I bought another of those "gem bu" pieces, an 1890-S Morgan, for what was, at the time, a huge sum for me. Again, I don't know the exact sum, but this was in '89-'90, and it was priced as a high 63-64 for the era. Probably around $200, given my earning capacity at the time. image

All the other pieces are long gone, at no real loss, as they were "nothing" pieces of mostly $5-15 range. But I've still got the '90-S Morgan. I really wish I had a camera available to post a photo of this thing, but I'd be surpised if ACG would call it AU. Whizzed, dipped out, crappy strike to start with, and just plain seriously abused. At this point it's become a pocket piece, as I still just can't quite get rid of it. Don't know why, maybe just as a reminder to keep my wallet in my pocket until I know what I'm doing. Maybe in another 15 years or so, once I've worn it down to AG I'll be able to sell it in good conscience. (Seriously, it'll take that much honest wear to make this thing look decent again.)

Anyway, will anybody else step up, and share the worst hit you've ever taken, by your own doing. Not scams, or times you've been ripped on a variety you didn't know about, just the really, really stupid purchases you've made, through ignorance or impulsiveness?

Comments

• Options
    Compared to the beautiful coins I see board members here get, I'm sure I take a hit on every purchase I make!! Every time I buy something I have this sinkign feeling that I'm buying someone else's junk that's probably overgraded. I think it's attributable mostly to a low budget and lack of knowledge. Oh well....it sure is fun :-)
  • Options
    I bought a severely cleaned 1885-O Morgan. It looks like a proof and has no cartwheel luster whatsoever. It is only like a VF-30. I paid $15 for it in my early days as a collector. I was only 10 at the time and didnt know any better.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    I thought this was going to be about...oh, forget it image
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    DJC, you are not alone. Before finding this forum my purchase mistakes ran at 100%. I sold all of those coins at a loss of course. Thanks to this forum it will not happen again.image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787

<< <i>I thought this was going to be about...oh, forget it image >>

You go right ahead, don't let us stop you! imageimage
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I bought a fake 1893-S 35 years ago from a Coin World ad. Didn't find out until I got into collecting again. I should use it as a pocket piece until the S falls off. image
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    When I first started collecting, I bought stuffs like colorized SAE off of newspaper ads, then overhyped stuff from HSN and SAH.image
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a selection of coins from "Buddy Pardue" from his latenight TV show. They were AG-F, overpriced, and over hyped as well. With 8 years or so of price appreciation, the retail price of them MAY have reached what I paid. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh, we've all done it.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    for me this was 8 or so years ago , I seen this seated liberty quarter 1860 on Amazon Auctions. Well it was advertised as a strong AU and all of that. The image was good and it was priced fair. I thought it was for sure an XF. Well a few years latter after learning a bit and having sent to ANACS its a vf30. It is still one of my favorite coins though it has very little actual value, and a cheap lesson to read about a series before you buy. Right after that when I was still working on my vf type set I was spot on as a result of learning before buying.
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AT 1880-S Morgan in an NTC MS66 holder. Lost about $150 on that deal. Looking back, it was an obvious AT (although not too badly done) and the NTC holder should've been the other clue.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    Littleton Coin Company is where I started, believe it or not. image
    aka Dan
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Fake S-VDB on eBay for me. Live and learn.
  • Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once traded some neat old campaign buttons for a VF 1868 Shield Nickle, an 1893 Columbian AU half, and a VF Barber Quarter that was porous and cleaned too. I still have the nickle, but the other two are gone and, undfortunately, so are my buttons (one of which was an original Wm. McKinley).
    Then again, I've always liked coins over the buttons, so maybe it wasn't so bad afterall?
    Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file