Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Who grades B18s does anyone know?

image I am pretty sure GAI would grade them, but would that even be worth it? They would be in those holders that look like you just bought a cheap glue gun. image

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I was discussing this with another collector a few nights ago. Neither one of us had seen any graded yet. I would expect once someone does (especially if the grader has a registry) the price on them would really take off.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Scan please? Nor familar with these.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Here is a link to a site that describes B18s.

B18s link

David
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the Walter Johnson B18 I just picked up last weekendimage

Steve
  • Options
    Here's the Walter Johnson B18 I just picked up last weekend

Gorgeous blanket.image
  • Options
    I wonder how you would judge cloth (with wear, fading, never a crisp corner to begin with, etc.)? Also, how would you keep the blanket from bunching up within the holder if it were tipped or stood up or whatever? Might be challenging to do.

How do you display or keep the ones you have now?
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    MY GOD.........that Johnson is 90+ years old and looks brand new!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is GORGEOUS!!!

VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!

....I have never seen one before....
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guysimage

The Johnson above is the only one I have currently. I keep it in a 6" x 9" toploader.

I agree that it would take a specially constructed, thinner than normal holder to slab B18's. Basically the holder would have to press the blanket between the holder's two halves to keep it in place.

Steve
  • Options
    Someone told me PSA grades anything you send in. May want to call them first.
  • Options
    I saw in the catalog with this weeks SCD that GAI does grade the B18s there is a Joe Jackson 6.5(i think). Question now is do you think its worth sending them in? The lot i may get would probably grade some 8 and 9s, or do you think its worth waiting and hope psa makes a holder someday?image
  • Options
    The more there are graded the more the market will start picking them up. If you're looking for build a set I'd keep them raw for now, if you're going to sell them get them graded. Look what happened with T3's- GAI graded them, they got hot, PSA reacted and started grading them, they went thru the roof.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    It looks like GAI has graded at least one. Here's a link to tye auction referred to above.

Lot 292
    John Vineyard

• Options
    Man, that holder must be huge. It dwarfs the blanket.
  • Options
    Ouch. Ugly holder with the condom. And that is probably the worst cut I've seen on a B18. Lets hope they get better from here on.