Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Yahoo Auctions now free

Comments

• Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    I've never used Yahoo auctions before, so I am curious how they make any money (and support their auction site) if they do not charge listing fees. Do they take a sales fee from all auctions which sell? Just curious.

edited to add: I just saw in that announcement that they also do not take any sales fees. So is there a registration fee to set up any buying or selling account?
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    All I did was open a yahoo mail account and there is no fee for me.

Ryan
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    They might take a loss on the auctions to try to move some business from ebay.

• Options
    Every once in a while I'd look at their auctions, and the majority to the stuff I saw was crap. We may gripe about selling fees, but I wouldn't think stuff would sell for at least 97% of what it'd sell for on eBay.

Akbar, my guess is they make their money through their sponsors' advertisements.

Brian
  • Options
    Hey thats pretty cool, I think I'll go back and sign up again on Yahoo. I had like 300 positive feedback all from mostly buying, then they raised their fees to high, so I just quit selling all together, cancelled my account and dumped everything. so I just stuck with ebay, ebay has alot more members and you get a better deal. Yahoo auction was free in the beginning, it's cool they are going back.

Jery
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I have sold on Yahoo! with some success. The biggest problem is getting people to send you the money for items won. I have had success selling low cost items that I could never sell on ebay. I think if you are realistic and fair, it can help clean out some closet space!
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    They're putting keyword ads at the bottom of the auctions. I put a card up just as a test of the system. Their auction manager software isn't as user friendly as Turbo Lister, but hey, you can't beat the cost!
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    If Yahoo actually markets this fact, Ebay's Stores should be impacted.