Home Sports Talk
Options

The Curse of A-Rod

stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
Article here

<< <i>Let's assess Alex's record for whammy-worthiness. After 11 years in the major leagues, the Best Player in Baseball has never won a pennant, much less a World Series (the Bambino's gold-standard criterion). In league championship play, his teams have gone 0-3, including, of course, the Biggest Choke in Pro Sports History.

>>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    It's funny...you would have thought by the ways the Red Sox players (and highlighted by this article) the media, that the Yankees won the series last year. They just don't know how to leave well enough alone.

Blaming Arod for anything his teams has done is laughable. Saying there's a curse on his teams is pure folly.

It's alarming that the Red Sox were falling all over themselves to get Arod...now he's 'cursed'?

Please.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    This gets a lot of press in the Boston area - and will continue to...but, I agree it's a stretch to blame the Yanks woes on him alone. But, until he starts to hit in big situations, and have his multi-homer games in series that count, many will question his "clutch" ability.
  • Options
    Ctsoxfan, I agree completely. This guy still hasn't shown that he's clutch and with another losing year ahead (YES, this year), his stock continues to drop. Sometimes the best trades are the ones that don't end up happening (ie. Red Sox for Arod last year and even the Mets trying to sign him for that matter). It's funny that as the Yankee ship continues to sink, A-Rod, who is argued about constantly on this board as being the BEST, continues to do nothing to right the ship--this is an MVP?!?
    Jay
  • Options

<< <i> continues to do nothing to right the ship--this is an MVP?!?
    Jay >>

What more do you want him to do?

Is he the one signing personnel? Is he the one choosing the starting rotation (which all pundits agree is their achilles heel)? Is Arod out there NOT putting up MVP numbers?

Even last year, when the yankees won 100+ games, people were still putting down Arod. I just don't get it.

It's funny the anti-Arod bias from fans. Sad, really, that so many choose not to embrace the greatest player of this generation due to the jealousy regarding his contract.

• Options
    Axtell, I usually agree with the majority of your posts, but I just can't understand a Mariners fan can like this guy--lol! What I meant in my post was the Yanks lost all but 1 to Minny, and were swept by KC early last week, and I believe AROD had 1, or maybe 2 hits. I realize he's being walked alot, but he's still averaging at least 3 AB per night and he's doing nothing, I mean NOTHING, to put his team on his shoulders and carry them--how can this be an MVP? I remember very clearly in 1988 Kirk Gibson being that type of guy--didn't really have great numbers, but got the big hit, or stolen base, or made the big play when the Dogers needed it. The Yanks lost 3 close games to KC and Arod could have turned the tide in any one of them--he didn't. I am not an Arod basher. Do I dislike the guy for taking the money and telling everyone he left because he thought Texas was a good team?--well yes. He was actually one of my favorite players before he left ( I was a bit of a closet Mariners fan for those few years when Martinez, Griffey, Johnson and Arod were together, although I would always take my Spos above anyone had they met in the playoffs). But I just don't believe the hype with Arod. Take away those 3 monster years with Texas and he's had a similar career (offensively), to alot of others in baseball, Vladdy just being 1 of them. And I know you're going to throw his fielding % at me, but playing a position like Pay-Rod (3rd or short), allows you to simply not get to the ball and not get an error. A guy like Qzzie Smith would not always make the play, but in his prime he always got to the ball--Arod does not do this, and because of that his fielding % stays high. I know I'm going to hear arguements about this, but I really don't think he's the player you do, and I know there are a number of guys who would back me up on that one. And again, you take his stats this year and throw aways a game where he DIDN'T even need to get a hit (as the Yanks won that game by 10 runs or so), and he's not the same. Why not hit those 3 homers in the 3 games against KC last week? Because he's not clutch and never will be.
    Jay
  • Options

<< <i>Axtell, I usually agree with the majority of your posts, but I just can't understand a Mariners fan can like this guy-
    >>

Because it would be hypocritical for *anyone* to criticize him for taking the money. Who wouldn't have? I admire his game, his undying work ethic, and the fact you'll never hear a scandal involving him, you'll never hear him utter a negative word. How much trash talking did the BoSox partake in this preseason, trying to bait Arod, and how much did he give back?

<< <i>
    Because he's not clutch and never will be.
    Jay >>

That's a pretty generic statement...how do we quantify someone as 'clutch', and how exactly overrated is this phantom statistic?

I've always frowned on the entire 'clutch' hitting argument...because to be honest, if they were so good they could get hits at will in important situations, why wouldn't they just hit all the time that way?

• Options
    All of baseball, has become a curse.
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    When does the NFL season begin????? image
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    I haven't noticed...is basketball over? image

Hey...there is freak show coming up that will provide some amusement. Mike Tyson is fighting some big ole boy in an effort to get back to a bigger payday. image
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Even last year, when the yankees won 100+ games, people were still putting down Arod. I just don't get it.

To me, it is pretty simple. Arod is arguably the best player in baseball, but with the ernormity of his contract he may be expected to simply carry teams to an easy World Championship. There are many, many players who do not make what he makes but are right up there in terms of talent. Arod is expected to put up numbers that even Ruth himself never accomplished, or so it seems.

I do not believe in curses, never did. If I did, that article would seal it for me - Arod is cursed, and 13 is an unlucky number.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    By the end of his contract he will be playing shortstop and the Yanks will have won another World Series.
  • Options
    He may win a title - I could care less.

However .... if Arod ever takes over SS for the Yankees over Jeter (who IS the Yankees), then there could be problems in the Bronx.
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    << By the end of his contract he will be playing shortstop and the Yanks will have won another World Series.>>

I agree with the 1st part but not the 2nd. What makes you think A-Rod will take over SS? NEVER. ARod is great but is no leader. Jeter Da Leader!!!!
  • Options

<< <i><< By the end of his contract he will be playing shortstop and the Yanks will have won another World Series.>>

I agree with the 1st part but not the 2nd. What makes you think A-Rod will take over SS? NEVER. ARod is great but is no leader. Jeter Da Leader!!!! >>

Arod is 100 times the shortstop Jeter is. If Jeter truly was 'da leader' he would have swallowed his pride and moved to third to make 'his' team better. But his selfish move just showed he believes the 'Me in team' philosophy that Arod doesn't believe in.
  • Options

Ha Ha Funny. Who has dem 4 Championship rings and 2 Pennants? Ha Ha Funny.
  • Options

<< <i>Ha Ha Funny. Who has dem 4 Championship rings and 2 Pennants? Ha Ha Funny. >>

The yankees and their absurdly payrolls.

Put Jeter on a small revenue small market team and he's be a ghost.
  • Options
    Axtey, you are so full of contradictions. A-Rod was on a Large Revenue Large market team last year and does he have a ring? Ha Ha Funny.
  • Options

<< <i>You are full of contradictions. A-Rod was on a Large Revenue Large market team last year and does he have a ring? Ha Ha Funny. >>

And it was solely his fault, right? Jeter bats a whopping .200 in the ALCS, yet Arod is the one to blame?

You are the one full of contradictions.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I noticed you changed your signature line, Gemmy:

The Scream Team

Why did you do that? Is it because they have a $208,306,817 payroll and a sub .500 record?

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Put Jeter on a small revenue small market team and he's be a ghost.

I disagree. Jeter is a lifetime .300 hitter, has some pop, will top 1200 RBI's and is on pace to be a member of the 3000 Hit Club - which will be a much smaller than the 500 HR membership. Arod will most likely be a member of both.

Plus, I think Jeter is as good a fielder as Arod and the Yankees may not have won the 4 championships w/o him.
  • Options

<< <i>I disagree. Jeter is a lifetime .300 hitter, has some pop, will top 1200 RBI's and is on pace to be a member of the 3000 Hit Club - which will be a much smaller than the 500 HR membership. Arod will most likely be a member of both.

>>

How much press does Todd Helton get? Career 1.048 (!) OPS, career .339 BA, averaging over 35 HRs and 100 RBIs per year, yet he's a ghost. Yes his power numbers get a boost at home, but that doesn't explain away his exceptional batting average (5 consecutive top 5 finishes).

Jeter is a 'hero' because he's played for the Yankees...anywhere without the world series appearances and he'd be a nice story, but not considered anywhere near an all time great. He's a shortstop who is mediocre in the field, and is batting for average in an era where shortstops are expected to put up big power numbers.

• Options
    batting for average in an era where shortstops are expected to put up big power numbers.

huh? like Jimmy Rollins? Or Izturis? Matsui maybe? oh, I think you were referring to Furcal.

Yeah, those guys put up HUGE numbers ...

Jeter is a GREAT player and would still be great player on ANY OTHER TEAM.
  • Options

<<Jeter is a GREAT player and would still be great player on ANY OTHER TEAM>>

Yes Indeedy, 1420sports, Yes Indeedy!!!!
  • Options
    He would be a SOLID player on any other team, but just like all these other yankee 'greats', he gets an undue amount of press and attention just because he plays in NY.

Why is it so hard to get your hands around the fact that this is true? How many other players are truly great players yet get no press whatsoever because they don't play in NY? Isn't it then safe to say the opposite is true?
  • Options

Axtell Rose, how many 3,000 hitters are there?
  • Options

Okidoke
  • Options
    Wow, you're getting pathetic, bumping threads from 3 months ago.