Home› World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coin photography and white balance

Following the Goetz test thread: how much white balance correction do you do with the camera itself compared to post processing the image in photoshop / paint shop pro?

Dr J

Comments

  • Options
    elvernoelverno Posts: 1,068 ✭
    I pretty much go with automatic white balance. That seems to require me to lighten the image in Photoshop after applying auto levels. I've been shooting on a piece of white paper but am wondering if that is skewing my results.
    Vern
    image
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    I do my tweaking with the camera, using both white balance and exposure levels, so far I do no altering of the photos other than to crop them.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    I think a digital camera is supposed to be white balanced against a 12% grey background.

    I think your processing is going to depend heavily on what kind of lighting you're using.

    I'm sure someone else here is much more of a photography buff than I and can offer suggestions.
    image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

    New coins listed monthly!

    Josh Moran

    CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Josh and Vern are right on the money about the background. Your background color can greatly effect the end resulting photograph. This frustrated the heck out of me for the longest time until I accidentally discovered it LOL. I find a light grey works best for me.
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    No wonder some of my efforts turn to garbage image
    I've been trying to white balance using a white background.
    Well ... it seemed logical to me ... image
    image

    My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Actually it is an 18% Gray Card that it is balanced to. For the White balance to remain consistent, you need the same backgrounds, otherwise the image will usually be shifted to the opposite color of the background. For instance Silver coins on a red background will often tend to be Cyan in color.

    Some digital cameras are able to weight the color balance for the center of the image, but you may still have a little color shift. When you pick a gray for backgrounds, be careful, because some dyes used in materials will not photograph the same as your eyes see them.

    Bob
    I like Ikes!! But I especially like Viking Ships, Swedish Plate Money, and all coins Scandinavian.
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    The grey card is a bit of an antiquated thing when you think about it. It was designed so you get the proper exposure for caucasian skin.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Interesting, I never knew that.

    I have an old piece of blue velvet I use. Any chance that would skew the colors? I'm definitely a neophyte when it comes to photography.
Sign In or Register to comment.