Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I understand the difference between a coin that has been "wiped" and a coin that has been

but, can a "wiped" coin still be slabbed with a decent grade? Will it have the notation- wiped -on the slab or not graded at all?
I know ANACS will grade cleaned coins and note it on the holder, I'm refering to PCGS-NGC.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    A coin that's merely wiped -- with no other problems -- can be slabbed if it's still "market acceptable" for the grade and hasn't caused excessive hairlining. A mint state coin will likely take a hit of a couple of points because of it.
  • Options
    If anyone could provide a definitive answer to what amount of "wiping" or "cleaning" is acceptable I would sure like to hear it.

If you read the threads about the TPGs viewpoint of this it looks as if their viewpoint on the amount of wiping or cleaning is completely variable. Variable both by grading company (PCGS, NGS, etc.) and also variable daily with each grading company. Otherwise why would we all send, resend, and continue the cycle until we get a company to certify or upgrade the coin.

I would break most of my coins out of their slabs for my own pleasure but don't do it for I fear the day I return them to the slab for sale might be the day the TPG refuses to certify for excessive wiping or cleaning.

...AlaBill
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I agree with AlaBill. No amount of explanation could possibly be correct. The services are far too variable on hairlining.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone could provide a definitive answer to what amount of "wiping" or "cleaning" is acceptable I would sure like to hear it.

This question has been discussed numerous times before. Mark Feld, ex-grader at NGC, gave the most satisfactory answer. If the degree of cleaning nets the grade down to a grade that still makes sense, the TPGs will slab it. Also, it has been my own experience, and affirmed by an expert/dealer, that PCGS is more likely to slab a cleaned coin than NGC.
  • Options
    DarkmaneDarkmane Posts: 1,021
    i'd guess that 90% of coins in slabs have been messed with at some point. question is: was it bad enough for the top 3 to bodybag it? if i dont notice it, and its slabbed, i can still sleep at night knowing its a beautiful and market acceptable coin
  • Options

<< <i>If anyone could provide a definitive answer to what amount of "wiping" or "cleaning" is acceptable I would sure like to hear it.

Mark Feld, ex-grader at NGC, gave the most satisfactory answer. If the degree of cleaning nets the grade down to a grade that still makes sense, the TPGs will slab it. >>

Is it just me or is that last statement entirely ambigious? Nets the grade down to a grade that still makes sense? Still makes sense? When does any net graded coin not make sense? That's not a satisfactory answer at all (or not so as quoted or described).
  • Options
    Still makes sense?

If you have an MS detail coin that has been harshly cleaned and has rim damage such that you would net grade it to Fine, it does not "make sense". If you have an XF coin that has been lightly cleaned such that you would net grade the coin to VF, it "makes sense". If you think about, and think about the cleaned coins you see in holders, it "makes sense". image
  • Options

<< <i>Still makes sense?

If you have an MS detail coin that has been harshly cleaned and has rim damage such that you would net grade it to Fine, it does not "make sense". If you have an XF coin that has been lightly cleaned such that you would net grade the coin to VF, it "makes sense". If you think about, and think about the cleaned coins you see in holders, it "makes sense". image >>

All net graded coins make sense. MS detailed coin that has been harshly cleaned and has rim damage (with a net grade of fine) doesn't make sense? Why not? It certainly doesn't make sense to grade it any higher, or lower for that matter.
  • Options
    If you think it has been cleaned, wiped or dipped- send it to Anacs- if the give you a 'net' grade- it has been as stated. if it comes back without commentary as xf/au/ms- then it is what it is.

you need to have the 'juice' to push a cleaned coin thru the big boys- it is a fact of life. If no juice- you get BB'd.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're sorta thinking it's cleaned but not sure, it's probably "wiped." If still not sure, it's pristine and original. Or conserved, in which case it's moot and all bets are off and it's in a slab so shut up.
  • Options
    Sorry, I cannot explain it any better. Perhaps Mr. Feld will weigh in on this if you ask him.
  • Options
    "you need to have the 'juice' to push a cleaned coin thru the big boys- it is a fact of life. If no juice- you get BB'd."

If this the way cleaned and harshly wiped coins get in the slabs?
    ...AlaBill
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    What the heck is "wiped"? You mean accidental rubbing in an old collection's container? You've got to hit a an MS coin, verses a proof, pretty hard with a cloth to cause hairlines don't you?
    morgannut2
  • Options
    What is the current thought on this?
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Also, it has been my own experience, and affirmed by an expert/dealer, that PCGS is more likely to slab a cleaned coin than NGC. >>

I agree. Probably because NGC will invite a resubmission at NCS to double there fees!
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! A two year Bump!
    Well our Forefathers in this thread pretty much spoke the same constructive arguments of this day.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file