Home U.S. Coin Forum

Teletrade vs. eBay?

OK, I'm a semi-newbie here. I've been surfing eBay for years, buying little stuff, nothing major. I recently had the "itch" to buy a nice coin (nice for me at least). I checked into Teletrade.

I first saw a half dollar I wanted. It was an 1825 PCGS AU50 Capped Bust. I saw that the last few auctions for this grade coin had gone recently for an unrealized price of $230, so I entered this as my max bid. I was outbid. It turned out that the coin was never sold; the seller pulled it out of the auction when he saw it wouldn't bring what he had hoped it would (according to an email from a Teletrade associate).

Then I saw a nice 1891S Morgan $1, graded PCGS MS64. Teletrade history showed the last three auctions brought realized prices of $264, $242 and $231. I didn't think this was TOO good of a price, so I checked eBay. Low and behold, I saw the same coin, same grade (PCGS MS64) going off auction within the next 30 minutes. I ended up sniping it with less than a minute left for $177.50.

What am I missing here? I got the same coin, same year, same grade, for $177.50 off eBay, versus the $250ish it will probably bring off Teletrade? I'm not really sure why Teletrade is as popular as it is right now. Is it just the fact that it came from the almighty Teletrade? Versus the lowlife eBay? Or did I just get THAT good of a deal off eBay? Was I just lucky, being in the right time, at the right price?

By the way, I received the eBay 1891S MS64 today in the mail, and it is GORGEOUS. It is at LEAST a step above the 3 PCGS MS63's I have already.

Like I said, this is all semi-new to me. I use the Red Book for a general idea of prices. I know, I know, it's not updated, but it at least gives me an idea. Don't give me a hard time for not using a different price source. But, the Red Book lists this 1891S for $250 in MS64.

OK, any thoughts? What am I missing here? With the Half being pulled from the auction, and the deal I feel I got off eBay, I really don't see the use in wasting my time on Teletrade. PLUS, buyers pay a 10% few for their winnings? Whew. Many people are using Teletrade though.

Thanks for the input.

-Rob
My humble '63 mint registry set, not much, but it's mine!

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Teletrade vs. eBay? >>

I've done OK with both.

I would say eBay is far better, though.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Some coins bring more on Teletrade than eBay, and some coins bring more on eBay than Teletrade. But, the specific types change. A while back I was picking off 1964 Proof Kennedys in PCGS PR69CAM on Teletrade for around $130 and flipping them on eBay in the $200 range. Those have equalized, though.

If you watch both venues carefully, there are some arbitrage opportunities to be had.

Russ, NCNE
  • TayTayTayTay Posts: 465 ✭✭
    What did the seller's feedback look like? What did his images look like? These and several other things could hold the hammer price down on eBay. At least with Teletrade, you're usually pretty sure you're going to get SOMETHING.
    "What are you putting that tape on your nose for?"
    "Exactly."

• The best bargains are definitely on eBay compared to Teletrade, but I buy from both.
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The key is to "know" what a coin is worth....and you're well on your way by checking past sales on multiple sites.

Bid what it's worth....if you win, good for you. If you lose, forget about it.

I'm a professional bidder. If I won everything I bid on, I'd be living under a bridge right now...with a big stash of coins. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If I won everything I bid on, I'd be living under a bridge right now... >>

You and me both. image

Russ, NCNE
  • In a Van !

Down by the river !
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    I got OWN3D on this coin on eBay. Luckily a short time later pretty much the same coin showed up on Teletrade. This time it was I who did the OWN1NG.
  • zeus135zeus135 Posts: 1,043
    OK, I guess it's pays to keep shopping around. I reckon I shouldn't give up on Teletrade just yet.

Thanks for the opinions, and if anyone has any OTHER auction sites they've had good luck with, please let me know.

Thanks again!
    My humble '63 mint registry set, not much, but it's mine!
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teletrade is a far less risky venue and for this reason attracts more bidders.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• A) I think Teletrade's images are far superior.
    B) WWAAYYY less chance of getting screwed on Teletrade.
    C) Much quicker shipping on Teletrade.

BTW, I have a feedback of 257 on Ebay, so I am not bashing them.
    M39/10USNY:US1Cu10000:US5Ni3520:US10Ag94:US25Ag65:US50Ag18
    2000 Gallery PPI Registry Set

• << <i>A) I think Teletrade's images are far superior.

BTW, I have a feedback of 257 on Ebay, so I am not bashing them. >>

But the rips on EBAY are betterimage
  • But the rips on EBAY are betterimage

Without a doubt!!!
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    My vote goes to "the bay"image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    The difference is when you buy on TT, you know you will get the coin. Ebay prices are really suffering because of the huge amount of fraud, and sooner or later they need to do something about it.
  • spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    Rob,

You also have to take into consideration the fact that had you bought the eBay coin from TT, you would have had to pay a 10% buyers fee that would have meant it would have cost you over $194. All the prices you quoted have the buyers fee included. Many people see these numbers and forget this fact. Subtract the 10% from them and you get $238.+, $218.+ and $208.+. You still did good with the $177.+ but more in line with the actual bids on the other coins. $15 to $45 saved is never a bad thing!

I've bought from TT and eBay---I've sold on TT and eBay. Same for Heritage. There are pluses and minuses for any of their venues, just depends on your own personal preferences.

It is my personal belief that eBays perusers/bidders/buyers are generally looking for bargains and know they're taking a chance on each and every purchase, regardless of a sellers return policy. TT bidders/buyers are more savvy for knowing the various TPGCs, grading requirements, and associated values to the respective coins. Heritage is the high end. This is where registry coins can be had with more frequency, the buyers aren't as cost-conscious but they still have limits, just more then most people. This is also where dealers will most likely search to find the rarer coins for their clients. B&M, Superior, Legend, and more---they are all good, just depends on the coin you want, how much it is valued at and how badly one wants it.

JMHO
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A) I think Teletrade's images are far superior.

>>

BTW, I have a feedback of 154 on Ebay, so I am not bashing them either.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file