Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to MAD4MORGANS - great VAM tool

I was a winner of one of Terry's prototype clashed die tool. Its really cool... a pair of clear discs that rotate about a center point. The top one has the morgan obverse, the bottom one has the reverse. By spinning them against each other it really simplifies research into clashed dies. With Mark Kimpton's upcoming book on clashed die VAMs, this is really helpful. I played with it a bunch and understand better where some of the features from clashing originate.

This week, I got a second package from Terry. It's an updated tool has a legend noting the denticles can be used measure and index the rotation angle (2.4 degrees per denticle on the tool). Once I understood that I could use the denticle markings, I was able to measure some rotated dies much more accurately than my previous guesswork estimates.

Additionally, the second Die Clash Gauge came inscribed "Rob Joyce SSDC" (society of silver dollar collectors) image and the note said I could keep the original one or pass it on to a friend. I've elected to share it with WOLF359 (Jack Lee) who is a great vam buddy and will appreciate this valuable tool. image

Thanks again Terry, this is way cool! Am I shilling for him if I mention they are on ebay? yeah, but I'll do it anyway... image

Rob
Rob Joyce - Dollar Variety / VAM Collector
http://www.vamworld.com
and
http://www.rjrc.com

Comments

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    image cant wait to get one. image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    Thanks for the nice write up Rob!! I appreciate all you SSDC guys do here to help others on the forum!!

If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    I showed ours to the guys from coin club at lunch last wednesday and they all were impressed. Has any similar tools ever been made for other coins?image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    headed to eBay now to look at one image

edit:

errr someone mind sending me a link through a PM? I did a search for morgan clash and didnt get anything cept clashed morgans... go figure.
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I don't think he is still selling them. This thread is 3 1/2 years old.image
    Becky
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think he is still selling them. This thread is 3 1/2 years old.image >>

Thats funny. I dont ever check the dates of posts. This isnt the first time I've made the blunder of thinking a post that is years old was something new. image
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    He sent me one, too. I still have it and use it often. I just love it. I would have posted in this thread way back then had I seen it. Thank you Terry!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file