Home Stamps Forum
Options

ANY STAMP EXPERTS PLEASE LOOK! 596??

I need someone thats a stamp expert that would be willing to read what I have to say and take a look at these scans of my stamps and see if my findings are incorrect or correct. I am a total novice to stamps when it comes to, well anything about them. I have been getting into stamps lately and have had a collection that my Great Grandfather had been collecting. Well I have come across 4 stamps that I have been going crazy over, possible 596's. Well from what I have been reading they have only found 13 of these stamps to-date. All used and none unused. 8 of the stamps have been canceled in Kansas City, MO. The first stamp was discovered in 1934. They were made in 1923 from Coil Waste and Perforated at 11. Thats pretty much all the info I can find besides pictures. Ok, the reason I BELEIVE that atleast 1 of these stamps is possibly a SCOTT 596 is that my Great Grandfather started his collection or purchased the book for it on April 5, 1934. He lived in a town in southern Iowa near the Iowa, Missouri border. In his collection he had many stamps that were canceled in Kansas City, MO, I would say atleast 40-50 or more. The top and bottom perf counts are 11, and the sides are 13. All the ones discovered are as well 11 and 13. I donot know how to determine the side perfs but they are the same as the 13 discovered stamps. The stamps I have, I measured the box of the stamp(not from perf to perf) and I got 19mm from side to side and then 22.5mm top to bottom. Well I have been reading and counting perfs, measuring, and I am certian that 1 of these is a 596. At first I thought it might be three of them, and now I am down to 1. Well I have been using this web site as a ref. REF. SCANS they have all 13 pictures of the ones discovered so far. I carefully looked at each picture and ended up knocking 3 off my list. I did that because each picture I looked at the perfs and determined that the top and bottom perfs are directly across from one another. Pretty much straight across, as well as the side to side. I do not know if that has anything to do with it, but every single stamp discovered are all like that. Well when looking at mine only 1 is like that, with the perfs directly aligned across from each other from side to side and top to bottom. The other 3, 2 are no where near being straight across which are stamps 1 & 2 in my scan listed, and 1's perfs are aligned on top to bottom but then on the sides from the bottom up, the perfs are aligned on the bottom side to side but when it gets to the top side to side they are off a couple hairs which is stamp 4 in my scan shown. Stamp 3 is the only one aligned all the way around like all the 596 stamps known. The only thing I cannot determine without sending into be professionaly certified is the color. So therefor I am thinking(and hoping) that stamp 3 in my scan shown is a Scott #596 that I am wanting to send off to be certified ASAP. If anyone has taken the time to read this and looked at the ref. and my scans do you agree or dis-agree with what I have said and determined? Please LMK. Thanks for reading. Robbie.

The scan of my stamps

Comments

• Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    You would indeed have a treasure if it was a Sc#596. My suggestions would be to take it to some dealers who you have complete trust in. You could also attend some shows and see what kind of opinions you get. I would send it in just for peace of mind like you mentioned. I have a mh Sc#578(not near the rarity of 596, but not the common 1c green Franklins) which is also the same design and made from waste and it has an APS cert. I am not in anyway an expert but the Scott catalog shows only machine cancel and bureau precancel. I can't tell if your 3rd stamp is a machine cancel; kind of looks like part of a hand cancel but don't take my word on it.
  • Options
    Well I knew not to have my hopes up too high. But I went and got me a perf. gauge and it is not a 596. Would anyone know what a 11x10.5 of these stamps I had scanned above are? All of them are that. Thanks Robimage
  • Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    11X10.5 perf is Sc#632 and is a minimum value stamp.