Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two Roll Sets, this is how they are made.

aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
Page 40 in Coin World. I won't get into other parts of the article, but this is what they say the Mint said:

CWI (Coin Wrap Inc), in Harrisburg, PA., receives circulation-quality coins from both the Denver and Phili Mints in bags containing tens of thousands of coins each. CWI wraps the coins in the specially designed black, green and white paper wrappers.... blah blah blah.

CWI puts a stamp on each box in order to track it. Their stamp consists of an operator ID, date the box was packed, and time the box was packed.

So there ya go.

My take is the date stamp might not be very accurate as to the date the coin was minted, but I think it's safe to say that a box marked February has coins that were minted before a box with a date of May. Expecially with the Bison, as they are selling them a soon as they are made.

Actually now that I think of it, maybe the Mint gave CWI 10 million coins from the start...and they've been wrapping those the whole time.

Comments

• Options
    Me thinks you are wrong!
  • Options
    My mint rolls are not wrapped in those colors..they must be talking about Bank rolls.....
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Me thinks you are wrong! >>

How so?

It's very interesting if true and certainly plausible.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Wrong about what? This is quoted from Coin World who said, " In a May 17 reply to Coin World questions, Becky Bailey, the Mint's director for the Office of Public Affairs, said....

the stuff I mentioned above.. Those are direct quotes.

But your right about the color, it's not black it brownish. But it does say .."designating the contents as Bison 5-cent coins and the facility producint the coins."

I think it's legit.. Someone should call Coin Wrap Inc in PA to find out the scoop.

• Options
    Hum!! My Minnesotas are a different color from the mint..oh well
  • Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    The article being referred to talks about the people on eBay selling the sealed boxes of Bison Nickels and saying that a 0000 number and early date are first strikes. This would explain the colors on the wrapper misunderstanding.
  • Options

<< <i>The article being referred to talks about the people on eBay selling the sealed boxes of Bison Nickels and saying that a 0000 number and early date are first strikes. This would explain the colors on the wrapper misunderstanding. >>

How would that explain the color?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file