Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Edmonton Cracker Cats.

I can't believe this is the name of our new baseball team and I can't believe this is their logo.. image

That has to be the worst team name and logo ever.. Sorry.. venting over losing our Trappers due to lack of fan support (the A's farm team). The A's would come into town once a year to play a game against our Trappers. It was great to see the likes of McGwire so up close. (Our ballpark was much smaller of course and you could get pretty close to the players especially after the games.)

Comments

• Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    What the h-e-double-hockey-sticks is a cracker-cat?

And what level ball will they play? When we lost the AAA Canadians to Sacramento a few years ago, they were replaced by a single-A team, again called the Canadians.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    They're part of the 'Northern League' which is an independent league, therefore there is no “single-A” designation. They're not a feeder team to anyone. From a newspaper: "They are all local kids who play ball in US colleges who happen to come home for the summer and want to play summer ball."

Sucks.. but at least there's baseball to be played at Telus Field rather than a huge housing complex plopped on top of it which was seriously considered.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    Doesn't this team have something to do with the minor league team in Texas owned by Nolan Ryan?

Or is it the team that left was bought and moved to Texas?

It all rings a bell with me......
  • Options
    The Trappers moved to an Austin, Texas suburb of Round Rock, becoming the Round Rock Express.

Nolan Ryan is the owner..

• Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that's one of the worst by far.

The FAN960 (Calgary Sports Radio) is constantely making fun of the name... and the city for that matter.

I heard that Cracker Cats has something to do with the oil boom????

Ryan
  • Options
    "Cat cracking" is an element in the oil refining process. Those involved in that process were called cat crackers. Not sure why the momo's decided to reverse the term for the nickname or even use it at all.. The Edmonton momo's would have been better.

<< <i>and the city for that matter. >>

Likewise.. our stations rip on Calgary as well. I would like to see a Edmonton Oilers vs Calgary Flames Cup final.. mostly for the pictures taken from the red mile image and I'm sure we'll come up with something like re-name whyte ave to the oil slick or something so girl fans can show off their fun bags in public in the heat of celebration.
  • Options

<< <i> I'm sure we'll come up with something like re-name whyte ave to the oil slick or something so girl fans can show off their fun bags in public in the heat of celebration. >>

Too funny Knuckles! I sure do miss this time last year... drinking every night on the Red Mile and free boob shots.image
  • Options
    I even drove down for game 6 I think it was to partake in the partying but the Flames lost.. not too much was shown that night. image
  • Options
    Were you in form of Melrose Place (restaurant)? It was non stop action in front of there.