Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Latvian Niobium Coin - AT from a mint??? Update- Anodization info

I recently heard of a new Niobium coin from Latvia where the coin is exposed to heat to make the coin take on color. Here is a link to a site selling what I think is the coin. Latvian AT Niobium Anybody know anything more about this one?

Comments

• Options
    RonManRonMan Posts: 449
    I don't know too much about these but its one thats on my want list...not many blue coins around, at least ones that start out that way. image

Heres a link to an eBay auction for one that has some info...eBay

<< <i>Latvian Niobium Coin - AT from a mint??? >>

Ron
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That thing is cool
  • Options
    They ar neat, I think Austria has one that is purple and celebrates 50 years of Television, I beleive based on the level of heating
    various colors can be acheived....

You can see it here >>>>>Text

• Options
    weresteveweresteve Posts: 1,224

<< <i>Latvian Niobium Coin - AT from a mint??? >>

I have one ... very pretty coin as I like the design better than the ones that Austria has relesed so far ... three I think. There is supposed to be another in the series from Latvia sometime this year, but I have not heard anything about what the new design is supposed to be.

Steve
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    In case anyone is interested, I found out how they color them. They aren't heated, they are electrically anodized. Click on this link to a thread I just put up in the US Coin Forum for more info on anodization Thread on anodization
  • Options
    I believe there is a green one out too.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Call me strange, but I really like that.

I remember Austria had one, with the old 1484 guldiner design on it and a satellite on the other side(?). Also bimetallic, with a blue niobium center. I think it was darker blue in the pics I saw.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I don't know too much about these but its one thats on my want list...not many blue coins around, at least ones that start out that way. >>

Here are links to blue and red coins, both minted from titanium.

Blue Titanium

Red Titanium
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    The design is interesting, it reminds me of the Tudor Rose .