Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Do Stars Sell at SMR?

Hey all, I've received some great tips and hints on where and what to look for in regards to 1972 PSA 8s or better and I've been already picking up some good common players. I was wondering though....do the star cards run close to their SMR value in PSA 8 as far as the final auction prices on eBay? I'm not ready to pick up a lot of the star cards, but if some are deals here and there, I'll pick 'em up along the way.
* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
* C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
* T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
* L. TIANT BASIC #1
* DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
* MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
* PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
* '65 DISNEYLAND #2
* '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
* '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards

Comments

• Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Someone mentioned on a thread here that you can join andale.com and it will catalog what cards are selling for final prices on ebay.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    SMR is starting to catch up to reality on 1970s cards, but many star cards are still selling for considerably less than the guide. I think it's because the population of high-grade '70s cards has been growing faster than the number of collectors buying them (duh) and SMR seems out of touch due to infrequent updates and the lag between going to press and actual publication.

However, '70s cards have taken a hit in the past couple issues, reflecting some of the recent trend. There are some notable exceptions that still sell very strong. And if you get two or three guys after the same PSA 9 for their set, all bets are off.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    I would second jrdolan's comments...

Your best bet is to search closed auctions on PSA 8 1972 stars and that should give you a more accurate reflection of what they are selling for. Its been a while since I've bought PSA 8's, but I still think that the SMR is high on most of the HOF'ers.

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!