Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

A little help with a Peckinpaugh Cracker Jack Card

Any thoughts or pointers on what I can look at to determine if this card is authentic, and not just a reprint? The seller has pretty good feedback, but Im a bit skeptical.

Also...if you have a this card for sale yourself, just let me know. image

Roger Peckinpaugh

Comments

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    First off the card is a '14, not a '15. You can tell by the ad on the back saying this is one of 144 subjects.
    The '14's were rarely, if ever, reprinted, but I just don't like this one. The borders look off tonally. Here's how to tell a fake:

1. The borders should match the white in the uniform. It almost does in this one. There was no white ink laid down, so they just let the paper stock show thru. The fakes have whiter borders than the image.
    2. '15's were printed with the back upside down. Fakes have the back right side up. '14's have the back printed right side up, but I don't know if any reprints even exist for '14's. Still I'd give this one a pass if it were me- based on this:

If you look at his other auctions he's got a Plank up there that is definitely a fake. It's a '15 (176 subjects...) and the back is right side up, as evidenced by the placement of the crease. The border is a different tone than the uniform as well. Definite fake

Horizontal CJ's always go for more than vertical ones, and you can throw the book out on them.'14's are much rarer than '15's, due to no mail in offer. You can get a low grade one slabbed for about double what this is currently at, without the red flags. Best of luck.

Edited to say- How is it that a card on very thin stock can have such rounded corners and yet no creases? The more I look at it the more it looks artificially aged.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Griffins,

That was VERY helpful! Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!