Home U.S. Coin Forum

1884 O Morgan pics

I posted these early this morning and the thread got absolutely zero attention. Figured I'd try again in prime time.
imageimage
These pics were taken with a very cheap digital camera I got as a gift with one desk lamp. Also, the cam was hand held for the shots, so I think all things considered they came out well. I got the coin at the PAN show on 5/15 and was pretty pleased with it. There is very subtle pastel toning on the obverse which I actually managed to capture a bit of. From what I read it's normal for the eagle's breast and the curl of hair above liberty's ear to be non-descript on O mint releases. Anyone care to ballpark a grade?

Comments

• TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭
    low to mid range AU-ish ??????image

TorinoCobra71

• I suppose it could be an AU coin (I don't have loads of experience with grading) but I really don't see any "rub" when I have the coin in hand. The images are a bit soft.
  • morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    Agreed. The pics aren't the best, but the coin looks AU. 1884-O in AU? That's why the lack of commotion.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Looks like a MS63 to me.

Is the obverse a pretty tone and what kind of luster, I can't tell from picture. Reverse looks pretty good. The strike is a typical O mint strike. O mints can come very lustrous though.
  • The toning is one of the most pleasing patterns I've ever seen. It's a burnt orange color from about 12 to 3 o'clock fading to green and gold at the center of the coin. There is a lot of lustre on this coin.
  • Looks AU to me as well......it might just be the picture but the strike doesn't just look weak...it looks like wear on the Obverse. If it's just the image then I'd guess an MS63 image

You have to understand that Morgans are a dime a dozen...even for those of us that specialize in them so unless you post a key date or a condition rarity...or a nice toner.....you probably won't get much of a response....but it's nothing personal image
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file