Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will the Kansas Quarter be Extra Popular Just because it has a Buffalo on it?

MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
Just a topic for discussion - Seems like Buffalos on coins or commemoratives are usually pretty popular. Do you think this will be true for the Kansas quarters? Just wondering image

Comments

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭

I think it will be popular, After all its a piece of Americana !!!

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    Good possibilty.A lot of people like the old buffalo nickles.
  • Options
    NO the fact our coins are so shallow will probably render it like every other new coin an ugly shallow widget.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    The real Buffalo nickel and the modern comm are the only two with real beauty IMO. The Kansas coin has a very small Buffalo or blob and the Nickel is too small too as far as I'm concerned. Art vs a Buffalo needing a glass equal poor design.image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems a safe bet that the popularity of the states quarter program, the bison nickel,
    and the buffalo quarter will combine in a way to make this a very popular coin. We'll see
    soon enough.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    neither of the new buffaloes are very good in my opinion.
  • Options
    To be real honest, it wasn't the coin that i wanted to represent our state. i don't think of a buffalo when i think of kansas. they let the school kids pick it out. i would have liked to see wheat and sunflowers. just my opinion though.
  • Options

<< <i>To be real honest, it wasn't the coin that i wanted to represent our state. i don't think of a buffalo when i think of kansas. they let the school kids pick it out. i would have liked to see wheat and sunflowers. just my opinion though. >>

It should have been blank on the back....just like Kansas...plain and flat

Wichita West 1957
  • Options
    They almost called the "Paris Hilton" Kansas..
    Plain, white,flat and easy to enter.........image
  • Options

<< <i>They almost called the "Paris Hilton" Kansas..
    Plain, white,flat and easy to enter.........image >>

Where is a rim shot when you need itimage
  • Options
    As a Kansan I was disappointed in the design chosen. A design more like this would of been better. The buffalo were long gone when most people settled Kansas.

Ebay Link

Or this

Another better design
  • Options
    stockergreenstockergreen Posts: 483 ✭✭
    It seems to me that they are over doing coins with buffalos.
    Maybe they should have put a jayhawk on it.
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    I for one think the buffalo is a graceful and proud animal - I think that quarter will beat the heck out of any state outline or politically correct slogan.
  • Options

<< <i>It seems to me that they are over doing coins with buffalos.
    Maybe they should have put a jayhawk on it. >>

Whats a Jayhawk??image
  • Options
    ApacheApache Posts: 17 ✭✭
    It think it is a nice design.

I Got to see first hand from mint sets received in mail today.

Primary reason is the "No cluttering of the fields", it stands alone very nicely (along with the sunflowers). I LIKE it. Seems like many of the quarter designs are packing way, way too much stuff into the space allowed.

Anyhow, it is nice and the satin finish is EXCELLENT. These sets are worth every penny paid for.

Apache
    Jeff Ylitalo served as CONECA editor (error variety journal) 2007-2016 and written hundreds of articles on error and variety coins. Jeff is a long time error and variety coin collector and researcher.

Jeff is a 33 Year Active Duty US Combat Vet (Retired).

FREEDOM and its action on contact is absolute PROOF of its Uncompromising Force.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>To be real honest, it wasn't the coin that i wanted to represent our state. i don't think of a buffalo when i think of kansas. they let the school kids pick it out. i would have liked to see wheat and sunflowers. just my opinion though. >>

It should have been blank on the back....just like Kansas...plain and flat

Wichita West 1957 >>

Or perhaps an F4 tornado plowing through a trailer park.
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140

<< <i>Or perhaps an F4 tornado plowing through a trailer park. >>

Man that's cold!!! image
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it will be very popular but the powers-that-be still won't get the message about what Americans want on THEIR coins.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Are there even Bison in KS anymore?
  • Options

<< <i>Are there even Bison in KS anymore? >>

Many Bison ranches in western Kansas and 1 bison herd abot 2 miles from me here in Eugene Or.
    Man, they are popularimage and the meat is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are serveal herds in state parks around the state. One I know of is between Kingman and Cunningham just west of Whicata. It was started when I was a kid living in Cunningham. Was so productive that they actually gave some of the Bison away as they were out growing there grazing area. That started some of the private heards. The thing is those guys/gals don't like to stop at regular fences. They are really large animals and have a tendency to go where they want.
    As for the coins I think it will be about as popular as any of the others, there are some really nice designs and some of them leave a lot to be desired.
  • Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    I guess that makes the 2005 Mint and Proof sets "Double Buffalo" sets?
    Wouldn't it be cool to find a "Speared" buffalo and a "Tomahawk" buffalo in the same Mint Set?!image
    (I know there isn't any such thing as a "Tomahawk" buffalo,...but it would be COOL!)image

Brian

I LOVE image IKES! image
  • Options
    cswcsw Posts: 432
    I believe the answer is "yes," but it deserves its popularity from the overall design, which is outstanding.

Tiger trout, Deerfield River, c. 2001.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file