Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Toner coins??

I dont see why people will pay that much money for a coin just because it is toned. It seems to me that toning is because of bad storage practices and/or not taking care of the coins. I dont see how this can give the coin more value if it just basically rusted so to speak. I mean it is pretty much the same thing as rusting eccept it is colorful. I think for a coin to truely get the MS grade it should not have any flaws at all. It should look just like it did when it came out of the mint when it was made. That is just my opinion. But if people like it I cant stop the.

Comments

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Virtually all mint-state coins have flaws. Toning is a natural process as the metal is exposed to the air. Not as corrosive as rust.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    caitlincaitlin Posts: 858 ✭✭✭
    You mean like this rusted ms68 buff? Maybe I need to sell it fast.imageimage
    A collector of high grade TONED BUFFALO NICKELS ,working on a PCGS REGISTRY SET.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Toning isn't rust. And eye appeal is the biggest reason why most coins are purchased. Just a fact of life. Now there are certainly toned coins not worth a premium (or even be a negative) but true toning speaks to the originality and history of a coin and that is worth a lot.
  • Options
    Ok, until I came here I never even new about this. When I saw coins like this I assumed it was bad.
  • Options
    While I respect your opinion.......toned coins bring many multiples of there white counterparts because of 1 thing........eye appeal. Rainbow toning is not seen as a flaw to most collectors unless the coin has obviously been doctored. That doesn't mean that all collectors like toned coins or see value in them.......but most can appreciate mother natures art work.

As previously stated...the coins are not rusting...they metal is simply reacting to the agents in their environment.........this can be from incorrect storage as you pointed out, but even in optimal storage condition a coin is more than likeley going to tone over a century. The next time you look at that blast white Morgan.....think about the fact that the odds say that the coin was toned as some point and was dipped to remove the toning....and a small layer of silver in the process.

Most collectors prefer originality over a certain look....it's just up to the individual as to how much they are willing to pay for that originality.

Good Luck with your collecting and check out the link in my signature if you want to see coins that are worth many multiples of guide due to their eye appealing toning. image
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    I had this same thought only a few months ago. I attended a show here in California and was enlightened to pretty color toned early commem's and I have developed a strong interest in them. I love the true greens that are present on some and I have purchased seven nice early commem's with what I feel have great color. My favorite of all the early commem's is the Antietam and to find one with pretty color is a "coup". Anyhow, I think they're image

dizzyfoxx
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭
    beauty is in the eye of the beholder. PM K6AZ about some pictures of some toned Morgans, hes got some great ones! Bullseye/Rainbow toning is the best, IMO.......

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    Very interesting to see your comments because that is how my wife first viewed toned coins.

They can add beauty to a coin although the type of toning different people like can be a matter of taste. Sometimes toning can go too far and detract or hide marks or lack of luster.

Do a little research and you might change your mind. I collect both. For type set I like white coins with as little as toning as possible for reasons you stated, I want them to look like they were just minted.

Additionally, I collect toners for the fun and beauty of it.
  • Options
    LouisLouis Posts: 3,687

• Options

<< <i>image
    image >>

That's a beautiful coin!

dizzyfoxximage
  • Options
    Toning can make a coin "one of a kind".
  • Options

<< <i>Toning can make a coin "one of a kind". >>

AMEN!

dizzyfoxximage
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toned coins suck....

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    No kidding

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Most plain white coins are boring. Color adds a unique flavor.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I can see what you are all saying. I guess these coins actually are quite beautiful. But i must say that I like nice white coins better. It is how they were meant to be.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes nice white coins are ok too. Lord knows I have lots of them. Toning esp very nice toning also tells you that the coin is most likely original and undipped.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image
    image >>

Yea, those colors really turn me off
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178

<< <i>I dont see why people will pay that much money for a coin just because it is toned. It seems to me that toning is because of bad storage practices and/or not taking care of the coins. I dont see how this can give the coin more value if it just basically rusted so to speak. I mean it is pretty much the same thing as rusting eccept it is colorful. I think for a coin to truely get the MS grade it should not have any flaws at all. It should look just like it did when it came out of the mint when it was made. That is just my opinion. But if people like it I cant stop the. >>

save this thread and read it 3 years from now. You will "get" it then.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purty White!!

Purtier Toned!!

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Save this thread and read it 3 years from now. You will "get" it then

Ok, now that's funny!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file