Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Look at the bids on this one; are people nuts??

nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
EBAY #3977089002image
I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.

Comments

• Options
    Link??
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    sorry; I don't know how to do those linky things. Can someone help out? Thanks.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linkydooo

Steve

Edited to add image

• Options
    ya, and the reserve isn't met yet image

• Options
    There has never been an MS70 in PCGS for any state quarter and MS69's are certainly not common.

Don't know what the minimum bid will need to be but may not be totally nuts!

DID YOU NOTICE THE PCGS NUMBER IS COVERED?

What do you think it should be worth?
  • Options
    Wow I guess I should just start slabbing state quarters and selling them on ebay for $900. I need the money, lol. What a joke.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭
    Has to be a registry set collector, PCGS and NGC created something different when they started these things............

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Here we go again...
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Private feedback. Cert number blocked out in the picture.

$855 doesn't hit the reserve.

Run, don't walk, away from this one.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a PCGS PR69DCAM California quarter about a month ago for $20.

Is the difference between MS and PR that great?...I mean obviously not to this extent, but is a business strike in 69 worth alot more than the proof?

Steve
  • Options
    >Is the difference between MS and PR that great?...I mean obviously not to this extent, but is a business strike in 69 worth alot more than the proof?

Heck yeah in every series!
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>DID YOU NOTICE THE PCGS NUMBER IS COVERED? >>

It's not that hard to figure out, since most of the digits are at least somewhat legible anyway.

It appears the cert number is probably 21966952.

But why hide it?
  • Options
    To keep someone from plugging it into the registry without owning it. Happens sometimes.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they have a $1000.00 reserve and I think it will sell in the neighber hood of $1250 to $1400. There have only been 230 total MS69's made at PCGS in the whole series so far. And this is the first one for this Date, MInt, and State to hit that mark. And as tight as grading has been and the fact that this is not a mint set coin is going to push it into moon money to me range.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I can tell you this, I just went thru six rolls of these fresh from the bank, and I have found nothing close to a nine coin, maybe a ms66 if I am lucky.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow I guess I should just start slabbing state quarters and selling them on ebay for $900. >>

If you think it's so easy, stop talking and start doing.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I thought my $600 bid was good...oh wellimage
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭
    Now RUSS, be nice to the newbie!! image Remember you were new once too!

TorinoCobra71

• Options

<< <i>Now RUSS, be nice to the newbie!! >>

I'm just encourging him to make some profit.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I won't be bidding BUT I think it is a good gamble for someone to take.......they don't make many of these. Proofs are a dime a dozen!
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Damn, you guys are good!!!

Date, mintmark: 2005-D
    Denomination: MN 25C
    Variety: Minnesota
    Pedigree:
    Grade: MS69
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    While getting a state quarter to slab at a MS69 could/would be incredibly tough,I can't see paying that much for it.

Smoebody is buying plastic.
  • Options

<< <i>I won't be bidding BUT I think it is a good gamble for someone to take.......they don't make many of these. >>

It's way too early in the game to be bidding strong. Only a total of 18 have been graded and an MS69 has already been made.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    And on top of what Russ said today is the realease date of the upgraded or satin finish Mint Sets That are going to mess up the grading of all the coins.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    This might be a tough coin to get in MS 69 because it can only be found in bags or rolls because of the satin finish mint sets.
    I have gone through 3 bank rolls and have a shot at a 67 or 68. I have better luck with bank rolls then the mint rolls. Your are taking a chance betting this high this earlier on but if it turns out to be a low pop than more power to whoever is bidding on it. Of course this all depends whether the grading companies distinguish between the business strike and mint sets. My guess is that they will. I understand the reasoning on why it is so high. I bought a Florida P MS 68 for $50.00 when they started coming out which still has a low pop of 42. You take a chance but sometimes you make out and sometimes you don't.
  • Options
    Question about his satin finish. Are the going to end up like the 1998-S Kennedy and allmost all be MS69? I'd sure like to know what to expect of the Mint Sets I just ordered.
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>I think they have a $1000.00 reserve and I think it will sell in the neighber hood of $1250 to $1400. There have only been 230 total MS69's made at PCGS in the whole series so far. And this is the first one for this Date, MInt, and State to hit that mark. And as tight as grading has been and the fact that this is not a mint set coin is going to push it into moon money to me range. >>

Especially if the Mint sets are DIFFERENT than roll coins. This may be the only one and turn out to be quite rare in that grade. If the grading companies designate min set coins different?????
  • Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    Here is an excerpt from an email I got from the mint..

The United States Mint has chosen the new satin finish because it is handsome and provides consistency for United States Mint uncirculated products, including the Uncirculated Coin Set, Commemorative Coins, and American Eagle Silver Bullion (uncirculated) coins. The satin finish, which will be continued on uncirculated coin sets in the future, will also help collectors differentiate between Uncirculated Coins in the United States Mint Uncirculated Coin Sets and those coins in bags and rolls that have never circulated.

Sounds to me like we need some answers from Mr. Hall before any of us bid on something like that.. because it could be very rare if they do differentiate the mint set from the rest.. but if it turns out like the 1997 (I think ?) Jefferson nickels.. nearly every one is a MS69FS..
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178

<< <i>Wow I guess I should just start slabbing state quarters and selling them on ebay for $900. I need the money, lol. What a joke. >>

Dick

I suggest you read a little more before typing unless you enjoy being wrong.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just found two of these in change the other day. Have to be at least MS 69. I'm getting a warm fuzzy feeling with the realization that I'm sitting on two grand or so that these puppies will bring me.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    If this were French wine, then the name would probably be Chateau Yesterday!
    ...AlaBill
  • Options
    Bid to over $1500 and reserve not met. Unless he has a sale in his hip pocket, this seller may end up regretting the decision to reserve it so high.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295

<< <i>Bid to over $1500 and reserve not met. Unless he has a sale in his hip pocket, this seller may end up regretting the decision to reserve it so high.

Russ, NCNE >>

He can always take his profit and run by offering a second chance to the high bidder.
  • Options
    He probably has a $2000 cap on it. Seems rediculous.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stupid money is as stupid money does.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file