Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Unreal... Fuhr RC PSA 9 vs BGS 9.5

I just won this.. for $41.01

I've been watching them on eBay for quite awhile now and this is the first PSA 9 I've seen let alone a 10. I've seen about a dozen BGS 9.5's like this one end for $175 - $250

Pretty happy. image

Comments

• Congrats Knuckles!
    Collecting Dallas Cowboys Rookies and Team Sets 1960-1989
  • First off, screw Jason Martin. That guy routinely slices up sheets (and probably trims cards as well) and sends em to BGS. I wouldn't pay 50 cents for any BGS graded OPC.

The Fuhr used to come up for sale regularly, even selling for as little as $25 a few times. I remember David Longo was listing them by the boatload at one point. That guy has an unhealthy obsession with '82's. Great seller though.

I haven't seen much in terms of '70's and '80's hockey on ebay recently. I'm sure most people are holding on to their stash until the lockout ends (if it ever does....). Right now it seems like the market is dead, unless you have something that almost never comes up for sale - see: the 1979 OPC PSA 9's that came up for sale a few weeks ago. I recently sold some nice PSA 8's and 9's, and absolutely got hosed. probably a 40% dropoff from what I would have gotten last summer.

N162
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Knucks!
    Wait till hockey starts up again and that 9 will be looking better by the minute!

mike
    Mike
  • KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Thanks image could care less about how much it's worth now or in the future I just really wanted a nice one for my permanent collection without paying over $100 for quite awhile image Fuhr's a local and did Edmonton well in the 80's.

(although I probably will care how much it's worth if I ever need money badly and I'm forced to sell my stuff) image
  • Congrats! Great card at an even greater price! If I had seen it you would have at least paid 42.51 for it...........
  • phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    Very cool card from one of my favourite sets. Congrats!
  • Great purchase! Congrats.
  • schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Nice grab! It's still funny that these sheep continue to buy BGS graded OPC cards, especially from Martin Sports.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    All these guys buying BGS OPC cards are going to get a cold shower in about five years when the word finally gets out about where these cards came from. I'll bet you doughnuts to holes that the PSA 9 is worth more than the BGS 9.5 by 2010.
    Thanks image

<< <i>I'll bet you doughnuts to holes that the PSA 9 is worth more than the BGS 9.5 by 2010 >>

That would be nice and very likely unless people just choose to ignore the fact that their BGS cards are sheet cut/trimmed to avoid the headaches.
  • All these guys buying bgs OPC cards are going to get a cold shower in about five years when the word finally gets out about where these cards came from. I'll bet you doughnuts to holes that the psa 9 is worth more than the bgs 9.5 by 2010. Text Say what you like, but I have many PSA 10 and several of these BGS 9.5 hockey cards from the early 1980's and they are a beautiful thing to see. The fact that someone save uncut sheets and used more modern methods to cut them does not bother me one bit! I have had the BGS cards measured on very sophsiscated testing equipment and they are cut within.0001 inche tolerances. I don't own these to resell them and Ii hope my grandchildren enjoy looking at them as much as i do.

<< <i>Text >>

My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I've always wondered.

If a card is sheet cut, it still comes from stock printed the year the card was made. How is that any different than opening packs and submitting cards from that? To me it seems the same, and am a bit confused why there is this negative stigma attached to sheet-cut cards?

I would think that storing sheets would be even more difficult due to their unwieldy size, whereas packs are much easier to keep in mint condition.

Great pickup...I know I always feel good when I pick up a card for a personal collection at much less than what I assumed it would go for.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ax
    I have no problem with a sheet cut card, as long as it's revealed on the flip and let the market determine the value.

When cards are submitted from packs, the odds of a more perfect card - centering and edges are rare in finding a 10. The value is determined by the scarcity of "pack" 10s in the population.

When a card is "sheet cut to perfection" - then it is no longer part of the "pack" equation - and the market will decide it's value comparing pack and sheet cut 10s.

In essence, if one compares a pack 10 to a sheet cut 10 - it's truly apples and oranges IMO. Since the odds of a pack 10 may be 1 in 10,000 whereas a "sheet cut" 10 - the odds are 100% or 1 - happens everytime - provided the sheet is clean and the cutter is an expert.

mike
    Mike
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    How are the sheets cut at the factory ??? What sophisticated tools are the "sheet cutters" using to cut sheets??

• envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Stone-image

tb-back in the day, the OPC cards were cut with a wire and are generally well known not just for their light backs vs. their domestic Topps counterparts, but also for the rough cut. By cutting them today and using a papercutter, laser trimmer, or even a razor blade for that matter, the rough cut is gone and some of the mystique is lost, as is the probability it is not damaged. Much easier to cut a card out of the middle of a sheet and have perfect 90 degree corners and sharp edges and perfect centering than to get lucky and pull one that way from a pack back and have it survive x number of years in perfect condition.
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Ok thanks, I have always wondered how they were cut at the factory. Did topps also use wires to cut cards ??

What's this thread doing back up here again.. image

anywho.. I agree with Mike.

Topps also used wire to cut their cards however (with hockey anyway) they used a better paper stock than OPC which is why OPC hockey cards had rougher cuts.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Boy do I get a kick out of how some of these threads can go from the original intent and make a quick subject change. Anyway, congrats on getting a nice card at a decent price there Knuckles. And agreed with Stone, a sheet cut card to me has the advantage of never having to go through the same packaging sequence as a pack card straight from sheet to grading. Pack card, cut from sheet, through sorting machines, package in wrapper, placed in wax box, placed in a wax case box, placed on a truck, shipped to some store. Just isn't fair for that poor little pack card, he has such a long journey.image

Stingray
    image Poor little pack card image