Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Check out these coins I won from Jeremy's auction. Can anyone tell me why the franklin missed the fb

I just got these this afternoon. I love the mercury and the split bands are so crisp..the lincoln just looks so fresh and sharp. The franklin is great I just dont understand why it missed the fbl designation?
It took me a long time to get the close up of the lines. please let me know what you think .

Thanks

1941 Mercury obverse

1941 merc reverse

1940 Lincoln obverse

1940 lincoln reverse

1964 proof

AND finally the Franklin

Frankiln obverse

Franklin reverse

And the bell lines

WHY NOT FBL ??????

Thanks everyone

Comments

• Options
    Hey, I'm pretty sure I used to own that coin. If I remember correctly there was a hit that went through the lower lines on the (viewer's) left side of the coin. That's what I thought held it back... image
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lookin for 7 lines and I can't see em all.image

Have a nice day
  • Options
    It looks like a few very minor hits in the lines.I think Lucybop said they should be clean.
  • Options
    I'm so jealous of you guys posting your pics. My nickel from Jeremy's auction is the pride and joy of my collection - and I don't have a pic, and if I did I wouldn't know how to post it!

But man it's pretty! image
  • Options
    So even though the lines are there, they may be weak in a spot or 2 but I didnt see any hits in them ?
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Gil, I think on the pcgs site there is a page or discussion on fbl criteria you can check out, in the section for defining or explaining designations.

mcbee, I bet a lot of people come here without a camera, much less the skills. My guess is your desire to take pics and post them will get you there some day. There's plenty of help here with posting if you start taking pics.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options

<< <i>So even though the lines are there, they may be weak in a spot or 2 but I didnt see any hits in them ? >>

I see what looks like two tiny hits on the left lower lines,one very tiny hit between the far right lower lines and a couple just left of the crack in the upper lines.But I could be mistaken.

Lucy could tell you for sure why it won't FBL.
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    Did you change the picture or something? From what I am seeing in the picture, there is quite a gap in the lower bell lines across ~25% of the coin (to the left of the crack) and through all three lines. They may be slightly visible, but far too weak to qualify as full. The top set of line look great. Is it just the picture? I don't see any room for discussion on this one.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    Here is what I am seeing......

No Bell Lines between the marks.....
  • Options
    And if you take away the rest of the picture so your mind is not fooled into seeing imaginary lines...it looks like this:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file