Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Morgan date question

what is going on with this 1882-S morgan? The curve on the right side of the 2 has a flat spot on it with a point coming out to the right.

Any help greatly appreciated?

Comments

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it is my eyes playing tricks on me, but I do not see what you are talking about. However, I do see a die chip on the right side of the first 8.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    The toning is making it real hard for me to see if you have doubling on the date. It might be a VAM, but I really can't see well enough to tell.
    Becky
  • Options
    I am trying to get some better pics up. What other characteristics do I need to look for to confirm a vam?
  • Options
    Are these better? Look at the outside bottom edge of the curve of the 2. Remnants of a 1?

• Options
    I think you are trying to reference the area that I have added the red arrows. If so, this is a normal condition for the I2 font used during 1882.

• Options
    If there is nothing going on with the MM, it might be a VAM 1. The description says there can be die chips between the loops of the 8's.
    Becky
  • Options
    What about the mintmark? What is the rarity factor? Thank you for all of your help. What else do I need to look for to confirm the VAM.

• Options
    Take a few minutes and check out this website...Ashmore These pics will help you understand. There is so much to look for, that's the fun!!

That MM looks interesting, but the pic's too fuzzy, it looks like a s/s but it could be damage.

The VAM 1 is only a R-2. Not very rare. I'm not seeing any 82-s VAM that is over a R-4, nothing very rare from that year and mint that I can find.
    Becky
  • Options
    Thanks for your help. how is this pic? Can I get a book on the vams? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file