Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's special about the Satin Finish on 2005 mint set?

what is really speacial about it? and is this a first year, usmint make the coin like that?

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>what is really speacial about it? and is this a first year, usmint make the coin like that? >>

This is the first year that the mint has made this finish available on the unc. sets.

What's special? They apparently have the look of the SMS nickels that were released in 1994 and 1997 in the C&C sets.

Those are highly sought after (more for rarity than anything else) but they look really nice, so this is a good change. However, my concern is that the Unc set is supposed to be the exact coins as available for circulation, this is obviously not the case.
  • Options
    It is the same kind of finish seen on the silver eagles.
  • Options
    notlogicalnotlogical Posts: 2,235
    What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
    image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns
  • Options
    I wonder if TPGs will differentiate Mint Set coins from regular strikes. image
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    Maybe this is the Mint's way of introducing yet another annual set to sell collectors. This set already seems very popular while at the same time many people are clamoring for a set with the circulating finish. The Mint could starts making both and doubles their revenue.

WH

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file