Home U.S. Coin Forum

Eleven Million Coins Certified! (picture within)

PCGS Has certified its 11,000,000th coin! Read all about this milestone here.

But I've been aching to post a picture of a US coin here and I was finally given permission to post one. Here she is, the 11 Millionth coin!

Comments

• Beautiful Picture Phil !! image !!

• relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

At least it's a common coin. The 10,000,000th one was some rare gold piece if I recall correctly.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    They've slabbed coins 11 million times. Due to crackouts, they've slabbed considerably fewer than 11 million coins. image
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The 10,000,000th one was some rare gold piece if I recall correctly. >>

So was the 9th million, the 8th million, the 7th million, etc. (Not gold, just rare).

Russ, NCNE
  • very niceimage

<< <i>The company was founded in February 1986 by David Hall and five other prominent professional numismatists: Bruce Amspacher, Steve Cyrkin, John W. Dannreuther, Silvano DiGenova, Van Simmons and Gordon Wrubel. >>

I thought John Albanese also helped found PCGSimage
  • That is a beautiful coin.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>very niceimage

<< <i>The company was founded in February 1986 by David Hall and five other prominent professional numismatists: Bruce Amspacher, Steve Cyrkin, John W. Dannreuther, Silvano DiGenova, Van Simmons and Gordon Wrubel. >>

I thought John Albanese also helped found PCGSimage >>

And didn't they get their start buying the slabbing technology from someone else? image
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice pic. I was expecting an ultra-rarity also.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

• << <i>

<< <i>very niceimage

I thought John Albanese also helped found PCGSimage >>

And didn't they get their start buying the slabbing technology from someone else? image >>

PCGS has always denied the whole ACG thing.
  • Congratulations! I'll bet that holder adds a little value to the coin...

The article says the 10 mil mark was reached just 6 months ago. Wow!

• << <i>Nice pic. >>

• AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome photo, Phil ... you are still the best image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Congratulations! I'll bet that holder adds a little value to the coin...

The article says the 10 mil mark was reached just 6 months ago. Wow! >>

So I guess Russ and Marty have been vewy vewy busy!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe it is not a MS66 Ultra High Relief saint or an 1834 proof dcam or something. This just seems too.... out of character with their past celebrations.
  • ttt
  • WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Very nice image Darkhorse. The shadowing on Liberty's face makes me think she's winking at me.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since then PCGS has certified several of the world's most valuable rare coins, including: the unique 1794 Flowing Hair dollar with a silver plug (PCGS Specimen-66); the $4.14 million Child's specimen 1804 Bust dollar (PCGS PF-67); the famous King of Siam proof set; and the finest known 1913 Liberty Head nickel (PCGS PF-66).

Hmmm - when certified by PCGS [not NGC], isn't it PR-67 or PR-66? image

• JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Finally!! A common coin! Not a staged rarity!!!
    -George
    42/92
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, DH!

Looks like PCGS finally got a decent photographer!

You ever heard of him?
  • It's more amazing to me that PCGS took only 6-1/2 months to grade the last 1 million coins. Almost 19 years to do 10 million coins and they do 1 million in the last 6+ months. Incredible!
    ...AlaBill

• << <i>Hey, DH!

You ever heard of him? >>

I think they hired a foreigner.
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey, DH!

You ever heard of him? >>

I think they hired a foreigner. >>

A greysider from the rumors!! image
    -George
    42/92
  • Pretty awesome 4 mil coin there TDN!!!!!

I really, totally, appreciate you posting it. However, in your case, I don't think the label will add one cent of value.

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    'taint mine anymore ... sniffle. image
  • magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780

<< <i>It's more amazing to me that PCGS took only 6-1/2 months to grade the last 1 million coins. Almost 19 years to do 10 million coins and they do 1 million in the last 6+ months. Incredible! >>

What could this mean? What could the effects be? When did all those "the grading is way off" and threads start?
    If more and more coins are submitted (or even if it stayed the same but output increased), and the number of graders does not grow in proprtion, will that not result in less "time" per coin to assign an "accurate" grade? More innacuracies? Or delayed grades? Just wondering.

Billy

• << <i>

<< <i>It's more amazing to me that PCGS took only 6-1/2 months to grade the last 1 million coins. Almost 19 years to do 10 million coins and they do 1 million in the last 6+ months. Incredible! >>

What could this mean? What could the effects be? When did all those "the grading is way off" and threads start?
    If more and more coins are submitted (or even if it stayed the same but output increased), and the number of graders does not grow in proprtion, will that not result in less "time" per coin to assign an "accurate" grade? More innacuracies? Or delayed grades? Just wondering. >>

All of the time it takes to grade coins isn't necessarily actually grading them. I would think they could speed up the data-entry process for instance without decreasing the time grading the coins.
  • magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780

<< <i>

<< <i>

If more and more coins are submitted (or even if it stayed the same but output increased), and the number of graders does not grow in proprtion, will that not result in less "time" per coin to assign an "accurate" grade? More innacuracies? Or delayed grades? Just wondering. >>

All of the time it takes to grade coins isn't necessarily actually grading them. I would think they could speed up the data-entry process for instance without decreasing the time grading the coins. >>

Yes, I know. Was just thinking out loud. I would think these numbers must impact something besides bigger profits for PCGS. I recall reading online, here I think in the Q+A, that most coins take just a few minutes to grade. I know I am WAY oversimplifying but that is about 44,000 coins a month compared to some 154,000 a month at the current rate - averaged out of course. If my math is off please forgive - I am beat image As I said - just thinking out loud.

Billy
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. Thanks for posting this Darkhorse.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file