Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you ever get this irrational panicky thought that....

saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
OMIGOD...I have a fortune in coins that are worth about $3.63!! What if all of a sudden they were just worth "face"??

Even though it's a bad dream...ever have that dream? Pretty scary...especially if it could be true in a parallel world...and then COME true here!!!

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never! I worry more about my stock portfollio.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OMIGOD...I have a fortune in coins that are worth about $3.63!! What if all of a sudden they were just worth "face"??

Even though it's a bad dream...ever have that dream? Pretty scary...especially if it could be true in a parallel world...and then COME true here!!!

image >>

Geez! If you're collecting Saints, I'd think your face value would be $40-$60 bucks or so!! image

I've got $0.24 worth of 3-cent nickels that I worry about. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spend considerably more time worrying about completing my sets with the kind of coins I would like to have than worry about what they will be worth when all is send and done.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    No, it's more like OMG I just payed 350,000X face for that coin.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Similar. When I was accumulating Bullion, I considered that if the Government ever recalled U.S. bullion coins, they would just have to pay face value. So 50 bucks for your 450.00 ounce of gold!
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>OMIGOD...I have a fortune in coins that are worth about $3.63!! What if all of a sudden they were just worth "face"??

image >>

Even at face value, your coins are worth more than $3.63, JB, maybe a couple of hundred bucks.image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

image >>

I keep telling you guys to inbvest in coins that will work in vending machines. image

It's that last $3.63 that would really hurt. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    $920 dollars in Saints actually..but the point is still the same.

Anyone remember Bizarro world...You think that CAN'T happen...well I think it can, and they were nuts!!image
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I try not to worry too much about it, although it has crossed my mind.

I tend to have a dream (quite regularly, and last night again, in fact), of showing up at a final exam in law school and not having gone to class all semester, and not having even opened a book all semester. Is this a sign of anxiety?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    It is the same world Longacre...

AND..... you just never know when we could collide with a parallel world and it actually happens..or your dreams become real as we begin to breath in more Alpha6-Skyz...

Stranger things HAVE happened....image
  • Options
    TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207

<< <i>$920 dollars in Saints actually..but the point is still the same. >>

I'll give you $1,840.00 for them....HEY...That is DOUBLE face.
  • Options
    I'll give you $1,840.00 for them....HEY...That is DOUBLE face.

so are your twin buttcheeks, Moosey. image

Try to steal my coins when I'm providing a Public Panic Service Announcement....image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My coins are maybe 5-10% of my total assets.
    If they went away entirely, it would sting, but I'd live...

If someone's coins represent an uncomfortable proportion of one's net worth,
    such that a downturn in value would be excessively painful,
    perhaps one should consider selling a few pieces image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Baley...

Please do NOT interject logic into a PARANOIA THREAD......image

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    you just never know when we could collide with a parallel world and it actually happens..or your dreams become real as we begin to breath in more Alpha6-Skyz...

My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    Pretty scary, Huh???
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When in trouble,
    When in doubt:
    Run in circles!
    Scream and shout!
    mirabela
  • Options
    Sure it's a hobby, but it's real easy to get some real dollars "invested" in this hobby.

I don't dream of having to sell them at face value, but I do worry a little, occassionally, about the value being greatly below what I paid for them. And you know what, this could easily happen.
    ...AlaBill
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I don't worry since I know my collection is worthless to start with.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    When in trouble,
    When in doubt:
    Run in circles!
    Scream and shout!

Wise words.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO, I do not worry about the value thing, until I read about people collecting Beanie Babies. At least I know I can spend my coins. image
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

<< <i>I spend considerably more time worrying about completing my sets with the kind of coins I would like to have than worry about what they will be worth when all is send and done. >>

Dido...image
    Just Learning!
    Thank You
    SilverDollar
  • Options
    BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911
    Yes, I do worry that they will drop in value .....especially since my coins are a bit more of my net worth than I would really like them to be. I considered selling a few but it looks like I may have already missed the boat. Instead, I'll have to make more money to drop the percentage of my net worth that is in coins.image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I do worry that they will drop in value .....especially since my coins are a bit more of my net worth than I would really like them to be. I considered selling a few but it looks like I may have already missed the boat. Instead, I'll have to make more money to drop the percentage of my net worth that is in coins.

I am with you there, John, as the value of my coins has advanced higher as a proportion of my net worth than I am comfortable. The best way to solve this problem is to save more (sorry MrEureka image ).

Edited to add: GOLDGUY/Todd, if you have read this, please come off the ledge. I will save money but cutting other more frivolous expenses (children's education accounts, wife's salon visits, cable tv, etc.).
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

<< <i> I considered selling a few but it looks like I may have already missed the boat. >>

I have a boat and it's still at the dock. Any Draped Bust or Large sized Quarters?? PM meimage
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    GOLDGUYGOLDGUY Posts: 253 ✭✭
    "I will save money but cutting other more frivolous expenses (children's education accounts, wife's salon visits, cable tv, etc.)."

Whew! At least you have your priorities in the right order!

Because your cutting coin budgets will cause ME to cut more frivolous expenses like my own wife's salon visits, home remodel, etc. -- and we won't stand for that. Now stop all this crazy talk about being more conservative in your buying practices and get back to work. Us poor dealers are tired of subsisting on Top Ramen noodles and crusty bread!
    Todd L. Imhof
    Partner / Executive VP
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My coins probably consist of an amount too high when considering my net worth...however I dont worry about it really.
    They are a relaxation for me, and that, in a high stress world, is invaluable.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could also worry about all the oxygen atoms in a room migrating to a corner, thus causing you to suffocate. It IS theoretically possible.
  • Options
    GOLDGUYGOLDGUY Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Memo to myself: If ever experiencing difficulty breathing, run immediately to a corner of the room.
    Todd L. Imhof
    Partner / Executive VP
    Heritage Auctions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file