Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Convention and HOF Induction

Does anyone know why these 2 events are always held the SAME weekend, making it impossible for a collector and a fan to attend both??

Comments

• I hear you it pissed me off. I am A Big Boggs fan and can't go to both. I am going to the nationals instead. Lets be honest I have all the autos I need and wont get close enough to him to get another auto. Even the expierence I dont think will be worth the money spent with airfare and hotel. And the Nationals are in Chicago were 80% of my family lives . I will head out and pick up my daughter who flys out 4 weeks befor me. And bring her back home from Grandma's for the summer.

I never understood that either. 2 big events for baseball fans on the same dates. But I imagine it doesnt really hurt either. What percent would want to attend both?
  • that is strange. I can tell you that Cooperstown is overpriced and overattended. A $125 room becomes a $250 room, etc. The HOF is great anytime the kids are in school. I go to the HOF game every year and that is a bit crowded, but since it is a Monday when school is in session, not too bad. I also like to go in late fall before hunting season (rates go up again).
  • I disagree with you guys...Induction weekend is ALL that is right with baseball..I've got the past 5 years and I never have a problem finding a decent hotel (use hotels.com). I can't see the hotel room costing more in the tiny hamlet of Cooperstown than in Chicago. The entire town is devoted to baseball and Hall of famers walk around like it's Disneyland!! Plus, the actual ceremony on Sunday is COMPLETELY FREE!! It is all kids playing catch with their fathers in the park. To me, that beats paying for a flight, hotel, and entry fee to a giant card show where dealers overcharge for everything. I went to the convention in Chicago 3 years ago when it wasn't the same weekend as Inductions and it was cool to meet other dealers and see 1952 Topps Mantles a plenty--but it's no comparison to Cooperstown...

I just wish I could go to both
  • I agree, but I'm admittedly a little prejudice (this year will make me 16 consecutive HOF weekend appearance). There are HOFers easily accessible all over Cooperstown that weekend. It just has that Americana atmosphere (except when Mays charges over a $100 for his sig). It's a great time and I hope everyone on these boards gets to go at least once.
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Induction weekend must be sweet.
    But I had a great time w/ the family the last time we went, it was in early Jaunuary during an ice storm.
    We has the whole town to ourselves including the Hall itself. We walked up to each exhibit as if it was
    a private tour. There was no lines at any resturant or shop.
    So anytime in Cooperstown is great!...jay