Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Who likes hammered gold?

Anyone else here of the opinion that hammered gold coins have a mystique that somehow milled (machine made) gold coins somehow lack?

I dunno why but this kind of gold just pulls me in; (Why i chose to put up a picture of this particular former coin of mine [rather than say the Noble] is beyond me but hey it was an interesting piece, and my first piece of hammered gold).

Creased, chipped and an ex-dug up piece t'boot. Nice coins these Quarter Nobles.

Edward III Quarter Noble Transitional Treaty period with France 1361.

Comments

• 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

I love hammered gold. It's old, and best of all, it's gold!!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    I love hammered gold ... just can't afford any of it yet image

That piece, in spite of the damage, is wonderful image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • SylvestiusSylvestius Posts: 1,584
    I sold that one (to Andy Bruce), but i needed the cash from it to put towards the only hammered gold coin i have left. (I have owned a total of three) but i currently only have this one;

I'm hoping one day to build up a whole set of Henry VI coins from Noble down to farthing.

Henry VI Annulet Issue (1422-1427) Noble.

• laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Anyone else here of the opinion that hammered gold coins have a mystique that somehow milled (machine made) gold coins somehow lack?

You're, right, they do. Hammered coins bear a direct relationship to the quality of the hammerer, the quality of the metal, and the quality of the die.

Other than that, they are rather thin and I'm always afraid of bending them.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • GDJMSPGDJMSP Posts: 799
    Sylvestius one of these days I'm gonna beat ya with a stick image

I just manage to get myself all calmed down and to the point that I have actually stopped searching like a madman for every hammered gold coin available on the face of the planet -

And you go and make a post like this again image

Where's that stick imageimageimage
    knowledge ........ share it
  • SylvestiusSylvestius Posts: 1,584
    Sorry GD, but i've caught the hammered coin bug good and proper... I knew it'd get me one day. I must admit it took me a while to fall victim to it.

I knew the poison was setting in when i went into the coin shop and requested to look at the hammered tray first... I thought at the time "hmm that's odd, i think i'd better be care... must collect hammered... MUST BUY HAMMERED... Prreeccciousss"

Eight months later look where i am now... Anglo-Saxon!

Got my eye on this Edward the Elder penny (nice nibble marks too [well described as such], looks like some contemporary gave it the old biting test, well i'm guessing the Anglo-Saxons would have known exactly what it was so i presume they must be genuine Viking teeth marks instead?).

I hope that's just a scratch across the obverse and it's not a 'cut-n-shut'.