Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Mercury Dime registry set

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
looks like after YEARS of being in the top twenty that I will soom be falling off the list.

With a lot of luck and some Money I will be able to move up and will hope to stay in the top twenty

Man, this hurts, There was a time when mercury dime collectors had more fun that all the other registery set owners combined with passing signals and ond other joking about adding coins to thier sets and sharing thier disappointment when grades came backnot as expected.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this for sale?

Ken image
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I shall be back with more dimes and shall have passing signals on Passing on the left and right.

Send all donations quickly.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• okay Pat time to buy a few dimes and move back up
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Pat, was it me who bumped you off when I put up my set in the non-varieties category? It was unintentional...people have been telling me for a while to put it up in there and finally with the holiday weekend, and all, I had some time to do it.

I'll take it down, if it was me, until you get 1/2 more coins in there.

BTW -- There's a TON of red on all the Merc sets image
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heck Pat you will always be right around the Top 20 or in it. Patience is a virtue for you for sure plus your wife seems to find you a coin each year during the holiday season.

Ken
    I'm Hoping to retire from the Army and do the coin business full time not part time.
    currently I am putting a lot of time effort and money into the coin business I will be doing and I enjoy the people I do business with and have meet.

I will move up in good time, I'm not looking to be #1 just haveing a nice set of mercury dime that I can be proud of. So far with very few exceptions I am very happy with what I have!

Mercury dimes Rule!!!!

Pat, I'm submitting a few coins...I bought one very right, and if it grades out OK I'll have a surprise present for you image

When I first joined/started the Merc set someone said that I need to give everyone a dime...well I've recently begun that process and now that my set is just about done, I'm going to have some fun finding all the Merc guys at least 1 dime that will either fill a hole or be an upgrade.

Call me crazy but the Merc guys here are good people, and it's something I'd like to do...although I don't know what the heck I'm going to do with Larry (both of you), Marc and Tim...they might take me a while image

If you take a close look at my set you will see a dime which came from the Joshua II set.

I was a gift to me while I was at the ANA in Baltimore a few years ago. The dime it replaced was given away to someone that donated to make-a -wish in thier city. It was a great feeling and will not soon forget.

I'm sure not every coin in every collection has a story but I feel there are some that can hold that have special meaning to the owner.

Like the other end I remember owning a 1916-D mercury dime in VF that my wife and friend talked me into selling, If I could turn back the hands of time. That was a very nice dime.image

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Pat,

I know the feeling. It seems like it took me forever to reach the single digits, and now it looks like I will be dropping down to number 10 soon. The highest I reached was fifth. I think it is nice to see so many sets coming in, but I'm not in a position to move anywhere right now (I still have a key coin to pay off image).

Hang in there in; maybe given some time, you'll be able to move back up.

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Merc set someone said that I need to give everyone a dime

it was in jest trust me - if it was written in gold you'd have been harrassed daily image you've actually done good for yourself and in short time.

Pat, I think most here are proud of their achievements possible each to their own level and so on. Naturally each wants to do better but we all need to know our limits. I started a collection drive for you at my local house of worship image - will keep you posted~~~~

Marc
    One good thing is that i do have a number of openings that are still in reach $$$$ wise.image

• Ah, the thrill of the hunt...keep looking and you'll find that special coin at the right price and we'll see you back in there!

Yellowjacket
  • I'm #12 on the FB basic set list right now. And, believe me, it took years to get to this point.
    My son bought me a 1927-S MS65FB for Christmas....and it may be the nicest of the 28 currently
    graded....blast white !!!

I'm looking for a 1931-S, 1926-S and 1925-S right now.....then on to the really early ones.

Walt Lowich

<<My son bought me a 1927-S MS65FB for Christmas>> image

Not only is that one heck of a tough dime, that's one heck of a Christmas present!!

That would be a decade's worth image

Welcome aboard, Walt. Lots of good people here.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pat,

I remember the good ole days you are talking about. Back when it was fun and I had my #1 set. Sure wish I had that set back. I noticed that some of mine are or were in Larry's set at auction in FUN. I might try to buy some of them back.

Good luck with your set. I'm currently working on the Mercury Date set no bands and the complete dime date set 1796 - present. Can't afford to redo the whole Merc set again.

Again Good Luck.

Jon
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Boy, with all of this friendlyness I wish I was a dime guy.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Becoka,

Hey, with a little teaching you CAN be a Dime guy.

Jon

<< <i>Boy, with all of this friendlyness I wish I was a dime guy. >>

Us dime guys are all kinsmen image

Probably the most organized group of folks on this forum....all are welcome image

You're life will never be complete unless you complete a 100% Merc FB Registry Set...it is NOT for the faint at heart.

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and a Very Happy New Year to all of the "Dime Guys and Gals". May many "Pretty Little Ladies" come home to you in the next year.

Cheers.

Ken
    I added a 1926-D dime MS63 to my set now need 14 more.
    This was a Christmas gift from VAM44 and it looks like a FB dime but the gods at PCGS don't agree. Oh Well I really don't care what PCGS sees. I see them and so will others.

• I got a 1927-S MS65FB for Christmas !! Is my son great or what ?
    I've got 12 coins to go to complet my FB set.

Gee...and it's only taken 4 years so far.
  • I'm trying to wheel and deal for a 1945-P, 1921-P and 1931-S...all FBs of course.

Now I'll be gunning for that 16-D as soon as I win the lottery.
    Mercury dime collectors are truly special people.

<< <i>I'm trying to wheel and deal for a 1945-P, 1921-P and 1931-S...all FBs of course. >>

Those three make a tall order!

What is the name of your set?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Well, I've managed to return to the #12 spot....I need 6 coins, but I've got a 1917-D being graded.
    I need a 1916-D, 1918-S, 1919-S, 1921-D and 1945-P......those will probably take me another 5 years to get.

This has been a bit tougher than I thought it would be.
  • My set is just known as "The Walter Lowich Collection"
    I'm in the FB basic set group....#12 as of April Fool's Day.
  • Well, I'm #12 again (after a brief period at #10), with just the big guy left outstanding. Thanks to PQDollars for helping
    me get my 1945-P MS65FB. My plan will be complete as soon as I win the lottery and get that 1916-D.

<< <i>Well, I'm #12 again (after a brief period at #10), with just the big guy left outstanding. Thanks to PQDollars for helping
    me get my 1945-P MS65FB. My plan will be complete as soon as I win the lottery and get that 1916-D. >>

When you get that 16-D you'll leave a bunch of us in the dust!

I'm number twenty and it's getting hard to just stay in the top twenty! I upgraded 4 dimes not too long ago and didn't move anywhere. I guess the only way to move up is now to add the missing dimes I need. I can afford some in less than a really nice AU grades, but I would really rather wait to get nice dimes and drop off the top twenty untill I get the ones I need.

• PTVetter,

Adding new dimes, filling holes, has a much greater impact on your set rating. At 100% completion, I have no other choice but to upgrade to stay in the top ten. Looking at the other sets on the rise, I won't be able to remain at #10 for long. Be patient, add new selections and you'll remain in the top twenty.

Good luck and happy hunting.