Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Have you bought Ultimate?

Those really high priced packs with two slabbed cards... If so did you feel ripped off or happy with what you got?

Just curious as I've been smacking my hand now for awhile not buying a pack or two in fear of getting bs cards after forking over a couple 100 dollars.

Comments

• Options
    I've bought about 2 packs short of a case and I don't think I'll ever be purchasing them again lol. I got some decent cards but I ended up wayyyyyyyyyy behind. I think I'm gonna stick to buying slabbed cards from now on and not chasing. That's the thing about those types of packs though, its like playing the lottery and is sorta addicting haha.

editted to add: I really wanted one card out of the whole set, I mean really wanted it. Thats why I bought the damn things image.
    Ryan
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    what's in these packs? Got a link?
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    I assume knuckles was talking about hockey, I bought basketball. Upper deck makes them and you can see whats in them in the link. Link to basketball and they also do football, hockey and baseball.
    Ryan
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    I don't have a manufactures link because Upper Deck's website sucks..

Take a look at this eBay link though for what's being sold for Ultimate product..
  • Options
    OK ... the slabbed cards comment threw me. I broke a bunch (4 cases maybe) of the baseball and while some boxes were duds I like the set and will try it next year. It is overpriced unless you hit a lottery card and sell it. I kept mine. But fun to open. Costs a boatload to complete a set of this stuff. I thought of opening the basketball issue but passed. I hope the collalition is better in the other sports.
  • Options

<< <i>OK ... the slabbed cards comment threw me. >>

hehe, I meant I should stick to my guns and buy older/vintage slabbed cards instead of dropping G's on lottery packs. image
    Ryan
  • Options
    Ryan.. That's why I haven't bought any yet.. can always just buy vintage for a sure thing but the thought of pulling a cut autograph or 'lumbergraph' makes me want to buy a pack or two but if people mostly get garbage forget it.. I would like to hear about mainly hockey but like to hear about the other sports with this product.
  • Options
    Well I hadn't bought any cards in close to three years when I took my son to a shop to buy some Yu-Gi-Oh cards (I don't understand them either so lay off) and the shop owner handed me a pack and said try one of these. Well it had the following card in it. image Sorry for the bad scan. Well anyway, I was hooked on completing my first set in years. Several more nice cards later -- among others --

I finished my set. Now my passion for the hobby is back and I've begun building some older (50's) sets. If it wasn't for that day I might have stayed away from cards for much longer. And I would never outright buy these cards so I'm glad I had a weak moment.
  • Options
    Congrats on your pulls image. I on the other hand am not even going to waste the electricity to run the scanner to show anything I got(no good auto's really and mostly GU and patches) lol image.
    Ryan
  • Options
    Wow those are great, especially the 6 yankee signed card.

I just found this on eBay..
    imagelink to the auction

Not very well done. I'm sure they could have found a nicer cut autograph to use let alone the poor design of the card itself. (mainly how they stuck the picture in of Mosienko looks crappy)

I'll gamble and buy one pack sometime soon anyway.
  • Options
    That Mosienko would have been TONS better if either you or Austinchau would have handled the design.

I think it may be worth going fishing on the hockey Ultimate due to the base being x/45 and I've "overheard" some of the lunatics on
    the "other side" may want to put the 195 card base set together. You may recoup some cash if you don't pull a huge card. I think I'll
    try a pack or three. Two to open and one unopened to sell when the NHL returns. The product is sold out and production numbers are 40% less than last years and you know what those go for! If I pull any nice vintage and decide to sell, I'll let you know first....

Bob

COLLECTING (other than belly button lint):

-Evgeni Malkin (when Pittsburgh pays the bribe money, er, ruble)
    -Heath Miller (the new TE bullseye for Big Ben)
    -Sport Kings in off-grade PSA (for you vintage freaks)
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Bob and the ego boost regarding my cards.. image

That would be great if you would let me know how you made out.

I have the worst luck opening packs I always get 'bums' maybe if I spend $100-$200 per pack I won't lol
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I busted some Ultimate Football this year, and a case of Ultimate Basketball last year. No really big hits, in fact, I lost a lot of money on this stuff. My best pulls were a Kellen Winslow Auto RC (great! worthless now!) and a Chris Bosh Auto RC (a nice pull). My advice is to proceed with caution here - a $400 box of Ultimate can easily contain $100 or less worth of cards.
  • Options
    brianwintersfanbrianwintersfan Posts: 3,626 ✭✭
    Just for the record nothing comes "slabbed" in the Ultimate Collection boxes.
  • Options

<< <i>Just for the record nothing comes "slabbed" in the Ultimate Collection boxes. >>

Oop's, yeah I was thinking of this product: ULTIMATE MEMORABILIA

• Options
    Damn these a really nice..

The base cards are gorgeous.. I want a set of these!

imageimage

Do you think cracking them and putting them in PSA holders would hurt their value? image
  • Options
    NBAFanNBAFan Posts: 744

<< <i>My advice is to proceed with caution here - a $400 box of Ultimate can easily contain $100 or less worth of cards. >>

That's no different than any other high end product. Boxes of SPX and SPA which usually sell well over $100 and usually yield $15-$20 in sales if lucky.
  • Options
    Curious to know if any of you hockey collectors have bought a pack or more of the 2005 ITG Ultimate product yet? If so how did you make out? I'm being a chicken still. image
  • Options
    Knuckles,

Did you ever buy any of this product ?

I'm thinking I'm going to just buy singles instead of buying the wax.

Would you have any advice for me ?

TIA
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    I bought I think 7 or 8 packs total this year of baseball

I pulled a Jeter/Hanley Ramirez dual auto ( I think #'d to 50)

I pulled a Griffey Jr/Griffey Sr. dual auto (#44 of 50)

I also pulled a USA player patch auto #'d to 25 but his name escapes me at the moment.

I bought 4 packs one time and three the other time at the card show here in town.

I love the griffey dual auto
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **