Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

64 Topps Giants - Info?

Is there a website that has information on these cards? I know (or rather, think I know) that there are 7 cards of the 60 that were short printed. The 5 I can find are: (3) Sandy Koufax, (42) Dick Stuart, (45) Wayne Causey, (47) Galen Cisco, and (51) Willie Mays. I am going to assume that (28) Bob Friend and (60) Bill Skowron are the others based on the set weighting in the registry, but you can never be too sure.

I'd also hopefully like to find a site that has background on this set (with information on how it was distributed, how topps came up with the idea, etc.), as it was Topps' first (I think? not sure) foray into cards this size.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Ax
    you got the SPs correct. Try PMing Griffins; he has a world of knowledge on this set.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    An Ed Brinkman in PSA 9 sold for in excess of 500.00 tonite
    bbcardexchange
    Good for you.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    And Romano went for over 500. two weeks in a row. Those two are condition rarities, but not short prints.
    The set was distributed in packs, but thru the late 70's at least you could buy 25 for $1. at Dodger Stadium, and I know I got Causey and Koufax pretty regularly. There are tons of these around- they were either poorly marketed or just not very popular at the time. A nice raw set should run you about 250. Commons in PSA 7 and even 8 (in many cases) are rarely worth the grading fees. 9's are pretty easy for at least half the set, but the last few are killers. Skowron is always tough, as is Boyer, Ellie Howard, Brinkman, Romano, Gonzalez, and a few others. The pop report is a pretty good indication. 10's aren't hard to come by, but as in most cases the difference between a 9 and a 10 is the mood of the grader.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback. I will be more actively checking 9s and the prices they close for to get a feel of how pricy they will be to work in with the 8s. I am already seeing the Mays, Koufax, and Mantle be by far the priciest cards of these 60.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Clemente too......
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Zardoz has a set of 9's that didn't meet the 8K reserve, but probably exceeded that on break up. I think a set of 8's went for under 2K in Lelands a few auctions ago.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    SMR is too high on some of the superstars and too low on some of the commons that are condition rarities as Griffins says. PSA 9 Mantles were going for far less than SMR, as of a couple months ago, and even the most expensive card in the set, the short-print Mays, sold for a little more than half of SMR in PSA 9.

One could conclude that since the last time SMR updated '64 Topps Giants, the population of PSA 9's has caught up to and exceeded the number of collectors who want them. Except for those toughies like Brinkman and Skowron!
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    The Boyer is by far the toughest in my opinion. The centering is horrific.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I have often wondered about these cards. I have some singles (including Mantle) which I received on birthday gifts in the 1970's as there was a toystore in LA (in Breentwood) which attached them to wrapped gifts (all have tape marks/rips). I bought a complete set from Pacific Cards in the late 1970's for $15 and assumed it was re-prints. Are they maybe not re-prints?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cards in the late 1970's for $15 and assumed it was re-prints. Are they maybe not re-prints? >>

Larry
    It's hard to believe that something like that would be reprinted in the late 70s - do you still have them?

Back around 1989 - I think I remember a guy who had a hoard of packs for sale and cheap.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I will echo thegemmintman's note about the Boyer being the worst of the lot. Its nearly always off centered. Ive never seen a raw Boyer that I believe would have even a remote chance for a 9 if submitted.

Good luck with the set Axtell, its a beauty!!!

Edited: I have never heard of Topps Giants reprints. I am almost certain they would be originals.
  • Options
    LarryAllen- was it the place on SanVicente, near Brentwood Elementary?
    There were so many of these around in the '70's they were pretty much junk- we all had piles the size of Cinderblocks, and the short prints weren't any scarcer than the rest from what I recall. I really doubt they were worth reprinting, they were only 4 cents each to buy.
    Guess this board works, someone just offered me the Romano I needed. Done with this damn set!

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Reply on locale of toy store. I was picturing it on that little street near Brentwood private school!? Not sure of name of that street though. Off Sunset I think? Or maybe San Vicente!? A LONG time ago!
  • Options
    They must have surely dumped these things on the market in massive quantities. In my own experience, My dad bought me and my brother both a boxfull of them from a guy at a swap meet in the early 70's. When I say a "boxfull", I mean boxes that probably equated to 5000 ct of today. That guy had a stack of those about 6 ft tall. The price was $5 per boxfull. They cards were in bricks of upward of 200 per player (Harmon Killebrew, I remember had alot) down to just 20-30 for the SP's. We would make sets and sell them for $5 at the same swap meet. I bought my brothers card collection years ago, which included his partial box of them, and up until about 3 years ago, I still had about 3000 left total. For the longest time I was selling sets and partial sets on ebay. Sets sold for upwards of $100, and partials anywhere from $25 -$50. I since sold the remainders to a St Louis dealer. But as always seems to happen, I still find little batches of them amongst my boxes of "stuff". Not a bad return over time on a $5 investment.

Even up into the early 90's, I remember seeing show dealers with stacks and stacks of the raw cards.

....and then there was the time when I spotted cases (yes, cases!), of 1969 Topps football vending boxes at a local dump, while taking a load of junk with my dad (early 70's again). Problem was, the cases had water damage on the bottom half of the case. But still, while no one was looking, I managed to procure a couple of vending boxes form a partially falling apart case. Too bad I wasn't into football at the time. i actually had no idea they were football until I got them home. They sat in my closet for 30 years, until I started collecting football.

Sorry for the off-topic re-living.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    This was the most beautiful of all 1960's sets.
  • Options
    I agree Chris. The vintage uniforms, stadiums in the backgrounds and players make it my favorite set as well.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Here is a Giant for you

Spahn Auto

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    There are a couple of auctions of these closing in the next couple days (a bit out of my price range, but there seems to be some nice sentiment for this set):

Auction 1

and

Auction 2
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are a couple of auctions of these closing in the next couple days (a bit out of my price range, but there seems to be some nice sentiment for this set):

Auction 1

and

Auction 2 >>

Ax
    Ya know, as tempting as it would seem to buy a large lot - anyway - I think it would be more fun the hunt down super centered cards one at a time.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>
    Ax
    Ya know, as tempting as it would seem to buy a large lot - anyway - I think it would be more fun the hunt down super centered cards one at a time.

mike >>

I agree...I almost bid on a Mantle earlier this week, but the centering was nowhere near what I wanted in an 8. I think I can be a lot more patient as they seem to be plentiful and the set is very small.

• Options
    Wow, BBCexchange does another killer listing of these cards, now he's got 9's and 10s:

Auctions

Wish I could afford what they'll end up going for!