Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Thank you France!!

Their no on the EU constitution is pushing the euro closer to realistic levels.. I can afford the stuff I like again!! Let's hope this stays after the faux shock wears off.

Comments

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    That's good news for Euro collectors, but may be bad news for the Euro as a denomination. France is a heavyweight in the EU - I wonder what this vote will ultimately mean. An article I read indicated that many "no" voters used their vote to punish Chirac for his government's poor economic performance.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    The Netherlands are voting on Wednesday where it, too, is expected to be rejected.

It'll be interesting to see what political and economic fallout occurs.

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I must admit that this rather unreal (and favourable to me) 1:1.30 ratio had helped me enormously, I bought several great coins at really low prices during the past year. All this time ,it was a time to buy (in USD) for the euro population.At least I enjoyed it while it lasted.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Netherlands are voting on Wednesday where it, too, is expected to be rejected.

It'll be interesting to see what political and economic fallout occurs.

Gene >>

If that happens I predict that the bottom will fall out of the Euro!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Thing is, the euro isn't strong.. it's just a weak dollar. Which sucks for us buyers in America, but it certainly aint peaches and cream for the European economy either.

I think as of late last week most pundits were starting to accept the reality of a French no and started to turn away from their overly pessimistic outlooks. Earlier I saw more than a few commentaters (a Morgan Stanley analyst included!) who predicted that the French rejection would result in the dissolution of the common currency. That's a bit much. Hopefully now domestic politicians and the authoritarian technocrats that operate the EU will take a step back and realize the constitution really doesn't matter, that their problems lie elsewhere and begin to tackle them.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Netherlands are voting on Wednesday where it, too, is expected to be rejected.

It'll be interesting to see what political and economic fallout occurs. >>

There'll be a bunch of tongue wagging but unless the talk gets to be too much there shouldn't be a problem. (Dutch politicos are already talking some paranoid, crazy--and potentially hurtful--mojo.. so who knows) The euro bank is meeting the day after the dutch vote so we should get some immediate results.. hopefully they play good and not patronizing damage control. None of this should really come as a surprise since everyone knows the British would have said no to the constitution anyway.. hell, Blair hasn't even set a date or even a projection in the near future for when the referendum would be.
  • Options
    None of this should really come as a surprise since everyone knows the British would have said no to the constitution anyway.. hell, Blair hasn't even set a date or even a projection in the near future for when the referendum would be. >>

and now, thanks to the French, Britain may well be spared the ordeal of voting!
  • Options

<< <i>Their no on the EU constitution is pushing the euro closer to realistic levels.. I can afford the stuff I like again!! Let's hope this stays after the faux shock wears off. >>

I am certain that the Euro slump is primarily caused by my decision to purchase a Roosies set. image
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin