Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Franklin Half Instructional Series #25: 1958D Half Dollar

Franklin Half Instructional Series #25: 1958D Half Dollar.

This is the 25th installment of the Franklin Half Instructional Series. Hopefully those of you who are interested in Franklins will add your own observations and pictures. By the end of the series we should wind up with a pretty comprehensive study of the Franklin series, along with some nice pictures as well. And who knows, maybe some other folks will do the same for other series!

I wanted to do something different for my 20,000th post on these boards, but in retrospect, it’s only fitting that I do something which has enabled me to enjoy collecting, learn about coins and history, and allow me to acquaint myself with such a great group of people as we have here. So, enough of the side show – let’s take a look at the 1958D Frankie.

Sources for this series generally include “An Analysis of Gem Franklins” by Jack Ehrmantraut and “The Complete Guide for Franklin Halves” by Rick Tomaska – two books which I feel every serious Franklin collector should read

1958D

The last of the monster toned coins that were found in cardboard holders between 1956 and 1958. In many ways, a twin of the 1957D issue, coins of this year/mint are characterized by above average brilliance and below average strike characteristics. Original rolls, when found, tend to be baggy with some water spotting, although they generally have great luster. With a mintage of 23,962,412 it is one of the most common issues available to collectors. Although comparing the strike characteristics of 1958D’s to it’s brethren from the late 40’s leaves a lot to be desired, this issue does have about a 40-50% population of Full Bell Line coins. As with the 1957D issue, 58D’s fall into three categories, white, drab toned, and amazing toning. Because of the very high mintage for this year, pieces with drab toning tend to make up the majority of specimens. White pieces are tough to find in MS64 or better condition. The reason for this is that white pieces coming from original rolls tended to be marred by bag marks and water spots. Add to this the likelihood of a mushy strike because of wear to the master die, now in its next to the last year of use, and you have a poor combination of circumstances to yield gem rated coins out of rolls. Most of the gem pieces are drab grey/brown toned pieces that didn’t get the good fortune of being stored in ideal circumstances for awesome toning. Unlike the 1958P, the Denver issued halves have much less of a likelihood of being found with both amazing luster and jaw dropping color. However, once in a great while one would see a shocking “Peter Max” colored example with booming luster which made it worthwhile to continue to search through original mint sets. These toned pieces, along with those from 1956 and 1957, form the highlight of toning for any Franklin collection. Once common, these pieces have been salted away in some of the better collections throughout the country and now rarely surface. Where once these were the “throw away” pieces in favor of bright white specimens, now they are highly sought after and command steep premiums over an equally graded white or drab counterparts.

Almost all MS66 and MS67 issues for this date are mint set toned issues. While relatively common in MS66, in the same way as 1956P’s and 1957’s and 58P’s, of these 5 issues, the 1958D is the tougher to obtain in eye pleasing gem condition. White examples and colorfully toned examples command much higher premiums.

Current population numbers from PCGS read as follows:

MS63 and lower 154 non FBL and 63 in FBL
MS64 - 727 non FBL and 2064 in FBL
MS65 – 1016 non FBL and 1113 FBL
MS66 – 243 in non FBL and 612 in FBL
MS67 – 6 in non FBL and 23 in FBL

As the numbers show, there seems to be about a 40-50% population of FBL coins. However, it is worth reminding collectors that FBL coins of the late 50’s do not hold a candle to those of the late 40’s and early 50’s. While according to the defined guidelines by TPG’s they might have Full Bell Lines, they are not the kind of bell lines that are pronounced and bold, along with a well defined “Pass and Stow” and the three wisps of hair by Franklin’s ear. In the next to the last year of production from the original master hub, much of the detail was lost, so while technically these coins would be defined as FBL’s, the amount of detail in the fully struck coin, compared to the coins of the previously mentioned period, was not as defined. The number of coins in the MS65 grade and above is misleading. Remember that this is a high mintage coin, and that most of the coins coming from mint sets tend to be drab and lifeless. Finding truly eye appealing coins in grades of MS65FBL and above, will tend to increase their price as much as ten times their drab counterparts. MS64FBL coins can be had for somewhere in the $25-40 range. MS65FBL and MS66 coins are still inexpensive in the $50-75 range. MS66FBL coins can start around the $100-$125 range and go up in value considerably due to toning or white status. White MS66 and better coins are extremely rare. MS67 coins are considered extremely rare in for any year and in this particular issue will likely range in the low 4 figures to as much as 5 figures – again depending on eye appeal.

For more information on this date you can look the coin up in the Coinfacts page, which also sites significant sales appearances over the past few years. This information can be found HERE. I will continue to post the COINFACTS site for reference, but I am in no way promoting their products or services.

This last of the mint set coins in cardboard holders can provide some very beautiful pieces for those who are patient and have the money to spend on extraordinarily beautiful coins. For the rest of us, there is a wide variety of grades and eye appealing examples from which to chose from in this high mintage date. Have fun collecting Frankies!

1958D Franklin Half

Comments

• Options
    TTT

Congratulations on 20K Frankie !!!!

Your Franklin Half Instructional Series has been very informative image

• Options
    Congrats Frankie!! image
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Hey Frank, once again you have posted an excellent article on the Franklin half dollar series. image
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on 20,000 posts Frank!!

I always enjoy reading your Frankie Instructionals.

Thanks.image
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frank - Congrats on 20k, and another great post on Frankies.

imageimage
    Sorry about the glare on the pics.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Gorgeous 58D Darryl! Anyone else have a nice sample that they want to show off? image
  • Options
    This is a very rare white PCGS MS66FBL.image

and two different toners.imageimage
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    Wow - I don't think I've ever seen a white MS66FBL in this date! - Great toners too! Thanks for posting the Bushmaster!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow - I don't think I've ever seen a white MS66FBL in this date! >>

I agree. In my limited experience with Franklins, untoned Franklins of this date always seem to be beat up.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    CoinAddictCoinAddict Posts: 5,571
    Another very informative post from the humble servant. Good work, Frank. Keep it up.image
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭

<< <i>imageimage >>

ooh...come to daddy!
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    All I have to add are these photos of a recent purchase, MS66FL.

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great contributions to this forum by a very "astute" collector!!!! You da man Frank.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heh, every time I try to compliment somebody I kill the thread. Don't worry Frank it won't happen
    again and no more Mr. nice guy.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the posting milestone Frank!image Here's one still in it's original habitat. mike
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see some more Frankies. Frank's instructional posts are very informative. As he points out, 58-Ds are the last of the colorful mint set pieces.
    imageimage
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Sorry ones a 57 but it's a D mint.image
  • Options
    mgoodm3 - you take some fantastic pictures! image
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

<< <i>mgoodm3 - you take some fantastic pictures! image >>

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Very informative, I've got one as a pocket piece image.
    ('58-D)

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Excellent piece Frank. Here are a few 58-D's from my collection.

imageimageimage
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow - I don't think I've ever seen a white MS66FBL in this date! >>

There are very few.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options

<< <i>Now, if we can just get some of the other great set owners to put up pix (yeah, that means you fudude and MadMonk)! >>

I have lousy pics. And I sold most of my high my high powered stuff before prices tanked (image)
    But what I have left, like the pictures shown, is still very desireable. Thanks for the recognition, but you and company are, in my opinion, the true Master Franklin Collectors, bar none! Well, Ronyahski is pretty bad to the bone as well.
  • Options
    I'm not a Franklin collector, but I sincerely appreciate the information presented here. I'm actually going to go back and look at the other threads in the Instructional Series, which I think is a fantastic way for newbies like me to learn.

Thanks for the effort on the Instructional Series..
    ...AlaBill
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    I've got the whole series of articles saved as a word doc.

I had to break it into two parts it was getting so big.

We've got a small book here already. Great work by FC57! image

"Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options

In Memory of Frank...

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is a very rare white PCGS MS66FBL.image

and two different toners.imageimage >>

imageimageimage
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Wish ya were still here Frankimage
  • Options
    My Ebay Auctions

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miss you Frank.imageimageimage
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
  • Options
    Smoebodt needs to gather all these together and put them in one thread so we can print them out and save them.
    I had a lot of Affection for Frank, and we need to do this to keep him part of the Franklin Community 4-ever.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Smoebodt needs to gather all these together and put them in one thread so we can print them out and save them.
    I had a lot of Affection for Frank, and we need to do this to keep him part of the Franklin Community 4-ever. >>

• Options
    Nice envelope toner here:
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    Sweet...image

Here's another Mint Set Toner...

The toning was so thick, when it dried out it left a crackle finish on the obverse...

My Ebay Auctions

Take Care, Dave

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file