Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

60s Set - Which to collect?

I am currently contemplating delving into building a set from the 60s, but really don't have the time, space, or funds to go after a massive topps set. What I am essentially looking for is a set that gives a taste of the stars of the day. I don't collect for investment purchases; meaning I am not looking to collect it to turn around and sell it. I want to enjoy the cards, but know that there is some stability in the pricing.

The 2 that I have narrowed it to are either the 63 fleer set or the 64 topps giant set.

I love the look of the fleer set, very clean, and just all in all a great look. However, no Mantle does have it's drawbacks.

The Giant set, on the other hand, is comparible in number of cards, and seems to offer everything I am looking for with the only drawback being the physical size of the cards.

Am I overlooking any other possible set ideas? Ideally I'd like the set to be small in number (under 100 cards), and somewhat readily available (yes, I know cards 40-something years old will be somewhat difficult to attain).

Thanks for the input.

Comments

• Options
    You may want to give 64 Topps Standups and 69 Topps Supers a look.

Brian
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ax
    I have been working on the 63F BB set for almost 2 yrs. now - I'm at 45% - shooting for nicely centered 8s and keeping the budget at about 70% smr.

I'm in no hurry and really like the set and design - and there are enough stars in the set to satisfy me.

mike

edit: here's a sample of one of the cards I picked up - smr 85; paid 51$

Mike
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    The 1964 Topps Giants is a great set. Have you thought about collecting the All-Star subsets from each year's Topps set? They're great cards with a good mix including lots of HOFers and lots of guys that were great (or lucky) for a season or two.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    I concur. Take a look at the Key Cards category under the registry to see the various subsets (or create one of your own). If I were to do one, I would do a World Series subset. I think some of the WS cards, like 1963 and 1964, are awesome looking cards.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    I THINK ... a certain man who's name i will not say may have the sportscard collecting vintage BUG.....this man needs immediate admittance to the psychiatric ward!!! THAT WAY HE CAN JOIN THE REST OF US!! HEHEHEHE!!!!

• Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I'd like to go off the boards and choose 1964 Topps Coins. They have a nice checklist (Mantles a'plenty) and they aren't very heavily collected yet so there's a good chance to pick up nice coins cheap. You can get 9s for prices comparable to 8s or even 7s of the cardboard versions, though there are a couple guys with deep pockets going for the set. With a relatively untapped supply, there's a good land race possible in coming years. And they come in those cute little coin holders.

I also like 1965 Embossed. They aren't very popular, and some people don't like them at all, but they are unusual and that counts for something.

For more traditional card sets, 1963 Fleer is good, 64 Stand-Ups are very popular, and 1969 Supers are underappreciated. 1964 Giants are good, too, and there isn't THAT much space required. There's only 60 cards in the set, after all.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Axtell....What kind of budget do you have? Any regular-issue Topps set from the 60's will be a pain in the ass to build, both financially and time-wise. I would recommend the 1964 Topps Giants set, for a few reasons:

1. Attractive design
    2. Tons of HOFers and stars of the day
    3. Small set size
    4. Easy to find in high grade, and in lower grade (PSA 7) they can be had for dirt cheap
    5. They look awesome displayed in slabs

N162
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I appreciate the input from everyone.

More and more I am leaning towards the Giant set. Cards seem to be pretty plentiful, tons of HoFers, and small number of cards. The fleer set I may assemble at some point as well, but lacking the Mantle (obviously a key player in history), just has me back on the Giants.

How big are these things anyways? And do any of the Giant set collectors have tips on how to store them?
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I also like the 64 Topps Giants....they are about the size of a postcard, probably a tad larger. 1968 Topps Game are fun too. You could probably do that set (ungraded) in top condition for under 200.00.

Another option but they arent Topps...Nu Scoops. Neat cards and very cheap even in top condition.
  • Options
    Ax
    The 64T Giants are 3 1/8 X 5 1/4"
    There are some cards that were printed in less amounts like the Mays and the Koufax.

Do you plan to do a graded set?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    I've never owned the '64T Giants, or seen very many for that matter. (I've lived a sheltered life!) From the pictures I've seen, I'd recommend it.

I do enjoy the '63 Fleer BB. The player selection for a single series is great with lots of stars: BRobby, Willie, Yaz, Drysdale, Koufax, MVP Wills, Spahn, Clemente, and Gibson being the biggest. I'd like to eventually get this set registered -- including one of the wrappers. I believe it mentions the cookie that came with the cards. (Is there a wrapper grading service?)

I've got some of the '65T Embossed cards. I may try to fill that in at a later date.

The 1968T Card Game was a favorite with my brothers, cousins and me. We played the game quite a bit -- according to the condition of my 5 sets!

hh
  • Options
    HH
    I have never seen anyone get wrappers graded.

On the set selection - those odd ball sets are a great choice and I think Helio offered his recommendation for "coins" which is a great choice - I happen to be partial to the 63 set.

My problem is that I don't just collect cards so everything goes slower for that reason.
    Now if I had tons of $ - then it wouldn't be a problem. As we all know, there are a handful of people with seemingly unlimited funds who can buy at will. D. Young e.g.

In collector grade, 4-6, I like the 64 set - loaded with HOF'ers and looks nice - the 66T would be a close cousin. I also like the 65 and 67 set. Back in the late 80s and early 90s, one could pick up large lots of Ex grade cards for a very fair price.

Well, guys, I wish you all luck.

Now, the cheapest thing that I collect and won't break the bank is sports related whiskey decanters...mostly Jim Beam and Ezra Brooks.

This one is a Leroy Neiman painted decanter - I also have a basketball one.

And this J. Beam "Rockwell" was the one that got me started - I got for free at an antique shop with a purchase.

So, there is some really tacky stuff out there to collect! image

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I plan on getting the entire set graded...there's a nice lot of 7s up now...figure I will do like I am doing what I am doing with the 85 football set...the important cards a grade above the commons. This set stars in 8, commons in 7.

• Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    Stone, you have the neatest stuff. I haven't seen those decanters before, but they are nice looking. Is there a date on them?
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options

<< <i>Stone, you have the neatest stuff. I haven't seen those decanters before, but they are nice looking. Is there a date on them? >>

Mac
    Thanx for the kind words and yes they are dated - I have 17 of them - there is an abundance of them on ebay every day - the sports related ones are in less quantity. But heck, I bet there isn't another collector on the boards?

I bought some at the Coach's Corner auction and paid a bit more - average cost is between 10 - 20$ The cheapest was a buck. The shipping runs close to 10 bucks tho.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Global grades wrappers, they're starting to pop up on ebay.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    The size of the 64T giants always bothered me...they are just too big.

I do agree that they are nice cards and very affordable specially PSA 7 and 8, they have a nice mix of HOF'ers etc.

I think though that 64 stand up and 69 super are choices you should consider, they are a little bit more pricey and a lot more rare..but they could be completed with enough patience in the same grades.

those sets will provide more of a challenge, however if all you want to do is have a nice 60's set and you dont want to pay a lot or wait a lot...you should really take a look at 68 topps game.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Griffins, thanks for the tip on Global grading wrappers. I collected them at one point when I collected from '81 to '91. What got me started was finding a 1966 Batman wrapper in a "Swiss Family Robinson" Golden Book. The old wax wrappers weren't the greatest as far as artwork goes from what I remember. I'll have to find that binder and take a look at them again. It's been a few years since I've seen them.

calleocho, thanks for sharing the shots of the cards. They're image

hh
  • Options
    I am slowly working on the Topps Giants.
    I have the Mantle and about 25 others.
    The prices are very low for most of them.
  • Options
    Again thanks everyone for the input. I think the 60s were a great time in card collecting because of the tremendous variety of sets that were available. The giant cards, stand ups, coins, so much variety!

I think I have settled on the 64 topps giants set as my set of choice, and going to work on this in 8 and above (if I can get some nice deals on 9s). The fact that it's small in number and relatively inexpensive to acquire in high grade, along with the great big color photos really makes it appealing to me.

This is my first foray into 'vintage' collecting (apparently 1971 isn't considered vintage image, so it should be fun to complete this set.

• Options

<< <i>Again thanks everyone for the input. I think the 60s were a great time in card collecting because of the tremendous variety of sets that were available. The giant cards, stand ups, coins, so much variety!

I think I have settled on the 64 topps giants set as my set of choice, and going to work on this in 8 and above (if I can get some nice deals on 9s). The fact that it's small in number and relatively inexpensive to acquire in high grade, along with the great big color photos really makes it appealing to me.

This is my first foray into 'vintage' collecting (apparently 1971 isn't considered vintage image, so it should be fun to complete this set. >>

Ax
    Best of luck!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Axtell,

I think you're in luck - I believe bbcexchange has almost all of them ending later tonight, and I think DSL has some too.

Brian
  • Options

<< <i>Axtell,

I think you're in luck - I believe bbcexchange has almost all of them ending later tonight, and I think DSL has some too.

Brian >>

I saw that, and have some bids pending on them. Thanks for the heads up.

And is it just me, or is the larger size make slightly off-center cards appear even more so?
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I was to collect these I think my set name would be "These cards are just too damn big"

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240