Home Sports Talk
Options

Spurs - Why no hype?

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
Why aren't the Spurs being embraced as the champions they are obviously showing they are?

With all the talk of the Suns, Heat, and Pistons, the Spurs seem to be barely in the conversation. They have been putting on an absolute CLINIC in shutting down the Suns...a team that was on everyone's lips to win it all.

Are they 'boring'? Is Duncan not enigmatic enough to be a star? Is it the small market? It just boggles me that they aren't getting their props.

Comments

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    You won't find a bigger basketball fan than I. But, for some reason, I cannot get into the playoffs this year - I wonder if anyone else feels the same way. You are right, the Heat are already annointed the champs (thanks to Shaq), but I would love to see the Suns come back and win. They seem to embrace a team concept, have a great young coach, and Nash is playing his butt off this year.

The Spurs are no doubt a great team, and Duncan is a class act all the way. I agree they deserve more respect than they get.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pop deserves more credit for putting the right people on the floor - and their bench is scary good.

I thought of the Spurs as a half court offense - well they have been running with the Suns and beating them at their own game! Parker and Ginobili and have unbelievable. They have even been hitting the free throws better than I could have predicted!

This is a team without the media appeal of a Shaq or Koby club. They are all business and have a team type play like the old days. Duncan is ass numbingly boring and exciting at the same time - he just works at it and there's a mismatch on the inside against him IMO.

Watch Ginobili - he's young and has future MVP written all over him.

Plus, I'm from San Antonio - there is no excitement in the town - in a sense that there are no car flags and stuff this year. Small market team - I wouldn't even call SA a sports town compared to Houston and Dallas.

mike

Mike
  • Options
    How beautiful it was to see the Spurs beat the Suns tonight and move on in the playoffs! Go Spurs all the way!!!
    Interests:
    Raiders
    49ers
    Zach Thomas
    Jerry Rice
    San Antonio Spurs
    Texas Rangers

** CU + Refs: AkbarClone, JustSportscards, dirtmonkey, samsgirl214
    ** 169 + Feedbacks on Ebay
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Suns definitely gave the Spurs a run for their money - Game 4 and 5 were not the same - Parker and Ginobili were not allowed to penetrate with the ease they did before - Duncan had a hard time and Horry hit the boards too hard with no goals - free throws played a role in both games but in a different way - Duncan was not happy with his % made and although they ran their collective asses off, the Suns kept dishing it out!

Overall, it was a good series with hard play and not a lot of combat - that may change in the finals.
    I was a little disappointed in that I thought this was a series made to go 7 IMO.

I like Miami v. SA but won't be surprised if Detroit prevails to play SA.

mike
    Mike