Home Sports Talk
Options

The Longest Yard

You can't turn your television on these days without seeing some sort of hype for the remake of The Longest Yard starring Adam Sandler. Whether it's ESPN or MTV, this flick is being hyped with the kind of carpet-bombing intensity that was reserved for the most desperate days of the Vietnam War.

But no matter how heavily this flick is being hyped to the public, one fact remains the same......I haven't seen one remake that didn't fail to suck big-time and this one will certainly be no exception.

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>
    But no matter how heavily this flick is being hyped to the public, one fact remains the same......I haven't seen one remake that didn't fail to suck big-time and this one will certainly be no exception. >>

You are right...and it makes me wonder why some movies (especially something like this movie) receives so much hype. I mean it looks awful, and I just know that Rob Schneider guy is going to do his stupid 'you can do it!' line somewhere in it.

I think the studio is trying to hype up Sandler to the party boy frat boy crowd (the ones most coveted by marketing).

I like the silly comedy, physical humor as much as the next guy, but this just looks BAD. The only reason I *might* see it is to see Dan Patrick's turn as a cop.

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Has anyone seen it? It looks awful, but I am curious to hear an actual review...

The NY Times used the word "horrible", or something like that...
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The previews they show just look plain boring to me. The original was a nice entertaining movie - poorly acted but who cared...it was still fun to watch. This remake I don't plan on watching.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone seen it? It looks awful, but I am curious to hear an actual review...

The NY Times used the word "horrible", or something like that... >>

My problem with reviewers is they have their favorites, who will give bad product a favorable review. In addition, there are going to be some movies that I will love ('Super Troopers' comes to mind) that all reviewers gave horrible reviews to.

But this movie, it's pretty easy to see it's going to be bad, bad, bad.

• Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    I took my 16 year old to the mall on Saturday to meet friends, eat garbage and see a movie. I picked 'em up later, and was told about this funny movie they saw....The Longest Yard. None of the crew knew it was a remake. They didn't even know who Burt Reynolds was!! image
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...